Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Post Reply 
Swamped
Author Message
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1501
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
"What happened to you, anyways? You're not in good shape at all."

Rider laughs, weakly.

"What hasn't happened? Last night, Long surprised me by igniting a pocket of swamp gas. The next thing I knew, we were in a tunneler's nest, barely conscious. I found an exit, and we went through it, then we had to fend off a pair of thornbeasts. It didn't go that well." He pauses and glances down at his damaged armor. "Poor Long came out of that worse than I did. Fortunately, I saw tracks from your group's wagon. We followed them to where you'd set up camp."

"Oh. They must have been worried about me," you say.

"Indeed. We compared notes, and reasoned that their missing researcher - you - had probably gotten swept up in the same phenomenon that brought us here. They were relieved, but I knew the swamp's dangers well... but I decided not to dash their hopes, not until I could say for sure what had happened."

"I'm glad," you say. You feel a little bad about causing so much trouble for his group. "I'll be able to see them all again."

"Well. Assuming we make it back. Long came down with desert fever, and your treatment options were designed for greblings. I knew I could help him if I could get back here, so I borrowed the compass in order to find a gateway. Theodore suspected there was a connection, at any rate, and it was our only lead. I suppose it's confirmed now."

He hands you the compass.

"I suppose it's best that I return it now... hmm?"

The compass' needle is moving.

"Is this pointing to our exit?"

"That's worrying. I wouldn't want anyone else getting caught in the desert. Hmm... but it doesn't seem to indicate the gateway opening for quite some time."

"How can you tell?"

"It's barely glowing."

You take a look at the needle again. You can see a very faint blue light around it.

"The glow tells you how close it is to opening?"

"So it seems. It was quite bright before my last transport." He slowly gets to his feet. "Well. It seems to me it would be best to use the time to work out the exact location, and make sure nobody else gets dragged along with us."

"There's a problem with that plan. We're both trying to keep low profiles. And you're still not in any shape to walk right now."

"That's a matter of exhaustion, not injury. I can feel my strength starting to return. But yes, this must be done with discretion. How do you think we should approach this?"

He's asking you? This is his base, not yours. But you suppose if you've got any ideas, it can't hurt to mention them.

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
04-21-2017 03:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1502
 

Offline
Posts: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
We're gonna need costumes.
04-21-2017 03:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1503
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
You look around.

You'd mostly been focused on the piano before, but now that you're looking again, this seems to be a sort of storage room. You recall that Crosswinds mentioned a sort of acting company... maybe they keep their props here.

In fact, with a little bit of poking around, you find a box labeled "COSTUMES".

"Well, there's this," you say, opening the box.

A few of the costumes seem to be just your size. Maybe Crosswinds is part of this. There's some more that are big enough for Rider.

Of course, there's a problem that immediately comes to mind: all of these costumes would be strikingly out of place. Everyone here wears a uniform, after all, so even something that would be entirely normal in a city would stand out.

But maybe there's something you can do with these. You need to think about it for a bit.

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
04-22-2017 02:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1504
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
you disguise yourself as a human, rider disguises himself as a woman
04-22-2017 02:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1505
 

Offline
Posts: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
Definitely use some stilts to disguise yourself as human, that sounds fun.

Ask Rider what general facilities are in the direction where the compass is pointing. Maybe a partial costume will be effective depending on the types of activities that typically take place there.
04-22-2017 02:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1506
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
(04-22-2017 02:59 AM)thriggle Wrote:  Definitely use some stilts to disguise yourself as human, that sounds fun.

Ask Rider what general facilities are in the direction where the compass is pointing. Maybe a partial costume will be effective depending on the types of activities that typically take place there.

rider not only disguises himself as a woman, but as a nurse thanks to a sexy halloween costume
04-22-2017 04:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1507
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Offline
Posts: 3,413
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Nurse Hottbottom left the swamp years ago! Rider would be noticed instantly!

Midway through crafting your plan, Rider shoves you into a satchel...Strings is taking too long...she must have made a detour to report to someone.
04-22-2017 04:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1508
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
(04-22-2017 04:38 AM)btp Wrote:  Nurse Hottbottom

this is really just M*A*S*H isn't it
04-22-2017 05:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1509
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Offline
Posts: 3,413
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
I searched "M*A*R*S*H" into Google and it gave me:

8.3144598 m3 kg s-1 A K-1 mol-1

So now that is a suggestion for the pseudomagical science of this world. The MARSH factor.
04-22-2017 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1510
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
"You got any idea where the compass is pointing?" you ask. "I mean, what's in that general direction."

"Sleeping quarters," Rider says. "That's about it. Which means we could run into almost anyone."

You go poking through the box. You find a pair of stilts. You suppose you could pass for human height if you did, but you're hardly trained at walking like that.

"I guess we could act like we're pulling some kind of prank," you say with a shrug, playing around with the stilts. "You've gotta have some people here who'd steal some costumes to mess with the prisoners or whatever."

"That would only cause more problems if we were spotted. I want to avoid drawing attention."

You dig around some more and find a bedsheet with eyes cut out. Really? A ghost costume? That's so pathetic...

An idea strikes you.

"Everybody thinks you're gone, right? So how about we play that up. Get you looking like a ghost. Anyone who sees you will think it's the vengeful spirit of Rider."

"I am not putting that sheet over my head."

"Nah, I figured... if we got you chains to rattle, or whatever. I don't know what kind of ghost stories you have out here."

"Hmm. I have concerns, but I can't see a better approach. We'll just have to hope we don't run into anyone clever enough to see through the ruse."

Well, you've got some kind of plan, at least. Now, which of these costumes can you make use of for this?

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
04-23-2017 02:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1511
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
disguise yourselves in pajamas so it just looks like you're about to go to sleep
04-23-2017 03:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1512
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
You dig around a bit and find a black robe.

"How's this?"

"That looks like someone's bathrobe with the trim cut off."

"Hmm, so it does," you mutter. "But as long as no one gets too close, they shouldn't be able to tell the difference. That's probably how they use it on stage, anyways."

You help Rider put it on, over his armor but under his cloak. Now he looks a little more like a shade. It's not much, but it's better than a bedsheet with eyes poked in it.

"Maybe there's something I can use to add to the illusion," you mutter. But then you feel Rider lifting you up.

"We don't have time. Strings should have been back by now."

He puts you in a sack and slings it over his shoulder.

"I apologize for the indignity, but I'd prefer that we not get separated. Just tell me what the compass says when I ask."

Ugh. This is unpleasant, but at least you'll get back home in less than an hour if all goes well. So, you can go along with it for now.

You guide Rider through the halls, and suddenly the compass needle starts moving wildly.

"I think we're here," you whisper. You peek out of the sack and see... a fairly ordinary hallway.

The compass' glow is just getting noticeable.

"Good. Only a few of our soldiers have rooms near here; there shouldn't be that many people to avoid." Rider pauses. "Now there's just the matter of the book. Perhaps I should go myself... but then again, I'd risk being spotted, and Strings might already be on her way back with it."

He seems to be having trouble making up his mind. Do you have any thoughts to offer him?

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
04-24-2017 01:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SC
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1513
The Hoip of Hoips

Offline
Posts: 270
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Somewhere
> BABY WE CAN DO IT TAKE YOUR TIME DO IT RIGHT WE CAN DO IT BABY DO IT TO-NIGHT

04-25-2017 03:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1514
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
"I think it'd be best to wait for her," you say. "She might get worried if she can't find you, and I'm pretty sure you didn't want to cause a panic."

"A good point. I worry she may have been delayed, but if I leave without the book, it's all for naught. And I can't afford to run around."

So, with that, you just wait, keeping an ear out for any footsteps. A while later, you hear someone wheeling a cart not too far off.

"A laundry cart?" Rider says, sounding a little confused. "Usually that would have been taken care of much earlier in the day."

"Should we check that out?"

Before Rider can answer, you hear some other footsteps. You think you hear someone running, and someone else walking.

"I'm not so confident in our ruse that I'd care to test it," Rider says. "But... it's possible one of those people is Strings, and it would simplify matters if we could get the book now."

He's looking thoughtful. You should probably weigh in.

Spoiler :
Which of the footsteps do you want to investigate, if any?

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
04-25-2017 03:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1515
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
what if you hid in the laundry cart
04-25-2017 03:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1516
 

Offline
Posts: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
Never fear, you're now an expert at making bird calls. Make a bird call that sounds like the first bar of "Don't Play By The River" and do it loud enough that you can be heard from both directions.
04-25-2017 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1517
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
"If one of those sets of footsteps is Strings, I may be able to get her attention," you say.

"Won't you draw the attention of whoever else is around?"

"It'll just sound like a bird. Trust me, I've had a lot of practice with that today."

"All right. If someone else comes, I'll try to scare them off, then retreat to the storeroom."

So you start cawing Don't Play By The River - not the whole thing, but enough that Strings should be able to pick up on it.

You think you hear some footsteps coming closer. You slip into the sack just in case.

"Gah!"

Suddenly, Rider cries out in pain and you feel the sack fall. It takes you a little bit to get your head out, but you don't see Rider or Strings. Or anyone, for that matter.

But you do hear the laundry cart nearby. Well, that's a place to hide where Crosswinds might not find you. You run towards it and...

Well, it looks like the Marshguard pushing it is taking a sizable pile of laundry out into a room. You don't know why, but as long as there's enough left to hide in, that works for you. You hop into the cart and fortunately, there still seems to be a good load in there.

So you slip in and wait.

And then somebody dumps a lot more sheets onto your head.

Ugh. Not only was that unpleasant, you're not sure you can dig your way back out of these. You can barely hear anything under all this laundry, either.

Now what are you going to do?

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
04-26-2017 02:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1518
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
hi marshall. fancy meeting you in a place like this
04-26-2017 02:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zephyr Nepres
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1519
nerd lord supreme

Offline
Posts: 52
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: Wollongong, Australia
(04-26-2017 02:38 AM)☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆ Wrote:  hi marshall. fancy meeting you in a place like this

Seconded.

Does really cute mice people, vibrant characters/backgrounds and the most adorable art style you've ever seen interest you? Read Great Haven.

Have you ever wanted to save a bunch of kids from dying horribly in a nightmare dreamscape? Read Lucidstuck
04-26-2017 03:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1520
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
Suddenly, you feel the laundry shifting underneath you. Is the cart that bumpy or something?

When things settle enough for you to actually get your bearings, you find yourself staring someone in the face. They're wearing a helmet, but it looks more like what the Bogknights were wearing than the Marshguard gear.

You barely restrain yourself from screaming. It looks like the other stowaway is doing the same.

The tension is lifted, slightly, as you feel a pile of laundry get pulled off your head. It's enough that you can hear some voices.

"No, no! This is where the clean sheets go! You can't just dump your filthy laundry in there, Clams!"

"Hmmph. The stuff I took out wasn't exactly clean, Crook. What's it matter?"

"We have to ration the laundry powder. It's a good thing I caught you when I did, looks like only one sheet got filth from your stuff on it. And why'd you run off with the cart in the first place, I was using that!"

"I needed to change my damn sheets. I figured it wasn't worth waiting around for you."

"Tough. I've got cart duty, I decide where the cart goes. I'll overlook it this time, but if you cross me one more time, you can bet Razor's going to hear about it."

"Bah. Whatever. I'm too tired for this."

You feel the cart start moving again.

"That was close," Crook whispers. "Sorry about that. And oh gods, my heart's pounding. I can't believe I stood up to Clams."

You get the distinct feeling you just got yourself caught up in a whole new set of problems. Exactly what you didn't need.

So now what are you going to do?

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
Yesterday 02:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1521
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
thank goodness you know sign language. oh wait, kid's got one arm
Yesterday 03:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1522
 

Offline
Posts: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
Make sure you still have the compass! Check how much it's glowing, and see which way the next rift is (relative to the way you're now headed).
Yesterday 03:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1523
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 7,553
Joined: Jul 2011
You don't want to make noise, but you don't want to worry this human kid either. Whatever's going on here, you don't want to get any more involved in it.

So you attempt to start signing, and hope the kid acknowledges. You start simple, with "Peace".

The kid raises a hand in response and... oh. Only one arm. Well, now you feel a little awkward. You think they're signing "want what"... oh, they want to know what you're after.

"Escape".

They seem to be thinking hard about their response. The signal goes, as best as you can tell... "tell... thief... question"?

Oh, wait. The one pushing the cart, he was named Crook, right? And seems to know about one of his passengers. So the question is, should you let him in on it?

That's a bit awkward. You can't even tell where you are... wait, you do still have the compass. You sign "wait a moment" while you consult it.

Hmm. Seems you're moving away from the rift right now.

So. How are you going to answer the human kid's question?

There's no reason for this | Or this | Death is inevitable | You can't challenge fate | The smallest change
I'm serious | It makes perfect sense | Easy as ABC! | I can't even explain it
I suck | I rule | I've got it made | Really, I'm serious | This bugs me | It's all lies | I want to believe
Today 02:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆
 RE: Swamped
Post: #1524
i'm rad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Offline
Posts: 3,180
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Male
make a "turn around" gesture
Today 02:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Post Reply