Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Swamped
Author Message
thriggle
 RE: Swamped

Offline
Posts: 613
Joined: Dec 2011
You'd better scout around. But first raid the wagon for supplies.
12-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,213
Joined: Jul 2011
Spoiler :
a52 broke the tie with "go out and look around", so that's what's happening.

You can't help but worry that whoever or whatever brought you here is going to arrive, but the fact that you haven't seen them yet suggests you have some time to find your bearings.

You take a quick look around the wagon for things that might be useful. About all you can find is a length of rope near the post. You're not sure how well you'll be able to use it with one arm, but you might well find yourself wanting it. You coil it up and put it in your pouch as best you can.

After that, you decide to risk opening the door and slipping out.

You immediately regret it as you feel the eyes of several nearby desert-horses turning towards you. They're not doing anything aggressive, at least, but they definitely seem wary of you. You'd best not disturb them.

You can't see any sign that these desert-horses have been tamed. There aren't any reins or saddles on them. On the other hand, most wild animals react noticeably to humans; they hide, they scream, they run away. These desert-horses are just standing around. They seem bothered by your presence, but otherwise unconcerned.

You don't know what to make of that yet. Maybe it would be more productive to look at something else in the area.
12-13-2017, 02:17 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Pharmacy
 RE: Swamped
scraw.

Offline
Posts: 521
Joined: Jul 2011
Anywhere.
Go to a nearby city and find a horse tamer to learn from.
Yesterday, 03:33 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,213
Joined: Jul 2011
You decide to search for signs of civilization. The first one to catch your eye is a fence surrounding the area.

It's not much of one, mind. It barely goes a foot off the ground. The desert-horses could easily step over it if they tried.

But that's just it - they'd have to put effort into escaping it. Most likely it's good enough to keep them from wandering too far afield. Considering this is a mountain, that's probably good for the desert-horses as much as it is for their keepers.

You walk over to the fence, keeping low to the ground in case there are lookouts watching. There doesn't seem to be a gate, but with how low it is, they likely don't need one. However, after a little searching, you manage to find a trail that leads to what looks like some kind of settlement. There are dozens of tents.

It's some distance away. It would probably take you a good fifteen minutes to walk there. That seems odd; why keep your mounts such a long distance away from your homes? Even if they don't see much use as mounts, presumably they have to be fed regularly. Wouldn't it make sense to have a caretaker near them, at the very least?

But you don't see any sign of such a person. That's odd.

Just as you wonder about that, you spot some figures leaving the settlement. They're likely to be headed this way.

You should probably get ready for their arrival.
Yesterday, 03:47 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Pharmacy
 RE: Swamped
scraw.

Offline
Posts: 521
Joined: Jul 2011
Anywhere.
Hide under the horses.
Yesterday, 03:51 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Offline
Posts: 3,633
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
Scope them out if you still have your longglasses
Yesterday, 09:03 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped

Offline
Posts: 613
Joined: Dec 2011
Fix your hair so you at least look presentable
Yesterday, 01:50 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Angustine
 RE: Swamped
His Most Serene Higness

Offline
Posts: 200
Joined: Aug 2017
The Land of Never There
Bury your head inside the earth so that nobody recognizes you
Today, 01:04 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,213
Joined: Jul 2011
Somewhere along the way, you loaned out your long goggles. You wish you had them now, you might be able to get a better look at whoever's coming.

Well. You have the rest of your uniform, at least. It should let you stay low to the ground safely. You contemplate hiding under the wagon, but then you figure they're more likely to pay attention to it. Instead, you slip under a desert-horse around the far edges of the enclosure. Hopefully, between the darkness and the crowd, you'll go unnoticed.

They arrive unusually fast. You could swear it's only been about five minutes since you spotted their lanterns in the distance.

There's two of them, and they speak a language you don't understand at all. But you can tell that the wagon is what interests them. One of them steps inside, while the other stays out and looks around. What they're looking for, you've got no idea. Just preparing for a possible ambush?

After a few minutes, the first of them steps out. Judging by her body language, she's frustrated, though you don't have a clue why. The two of them start to leave.

Then the wagon starts following them. You don't see them attaching one of the desert horses to it, though. Did they summon another drawing to move it? You can't see from this angle.

What should you do now?
Today, 02:24 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped

Offline
Posts: 613
Joined: Dec 2011
Wait for them to leave, then follow their tracks.
11 hours ago
Find Quote this message in a reply