Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Swamped
Author Message
btp
 RE: Swamped
word juggleryer

Offline
Posts: 3,720
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
Maybe the leadership of the Marshguards
02-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,393
Joined: Jul 2011
"Two things. First, our camp is full of scientific experts, who can take a closer look at that technology. Just as on example, we wouldn't have to just guess if they're using darkwood as a power source - we could work that out for sure. Second, if this group is after something in the Marsh Fortress, it seems to me it would be worth making contact with the Marshguards about them, wouldn't it? Tell them what they need to know to better fight it off themselves. If nothing else, that means there's less work for you do to over in the swamp. Or are you poking around there for other reasons?"

"Our leadership wants us to remain discreet," the figure says.

"Well. Too late for that. We've got contact with the Marshguards, thanks to some accidents with these gateways. And now we know you've been poking around in their swamp, without their permission. I'm sure they'll be very eager to hear about why you haven't informed them."

The figure sighs deeply.

"Because we have reason to believe there are spies among their number. And not merely among the lower ranks. I can believe you have nothing to do with this group, as you warned us of the wizard's arrival. But the Marshguards - we do not feel we could issue a warning without alerting our enemies. In fact, were I in your position, I would be very careful what I share with my contacts among them. For that matter, I cannot be sure that your camp has not been infiltrated; I am taking a great risk telling you even this much."

Hmm. They are telling you quite a bit, aren't they. Enough that it makes you wonder how much they agree with their leadership on the risks of looking for cooperation.

After all, if they hadn't answered a question you weren't really expecting them to answer, you wouldn't have gotten to this point. So maybe it's worth pressing your luck a bit with your questions.
02-20-2018, 02:46 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
word juggleryer

Offline
Posts: 3,720
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
What kind of magic causes these gateways to appear?
How many wizards are we talking about here?
What should we call you?

Oh...what do you know about the Maiden's Veil?
02-20-2018, 05:26 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,393
Joined: Jul 2011
There's a point that's struck you as odd ever since you made contact.

"You seem to know something about how to make the gateways. Considering you've been using them, too."

"Not exactly," the figure says. "For the most part, we are only able to reopen gateways that have closed recently. Beyond that... our wizard has some ideas on how to change the destination of a gateway, but we've had few opportunities to test."

"Well, what do you know about them? In terms of how the magic works."

There's a pause.

"Honestly? We don't really understand it. When they're active, they produce lots of ether... but there's no noticeable buildup of ether before they activate, or after they close. Nothing else we know of works like that. We're only able to reactivate them by..."

They stop suddenly. This must be a big secret. But then, it's one you have a guess at.

"You use time magic," you say. "Move time for the gateway backwards to when it was active."

"Believe what you want."

You didn't expect it to be that easy. After all, you've been out here for years struggling to find scraps of evidence that time magic really existed. If these people have been using it, they wouldn't want to just tell you that. They've been keeping themselves hidden for a reason, after all.

So you leave that for the moment, and move on.

"There seems to be more than one wizard in their group. Any idea how many?"

"We believe we've seen six others, aside from the most powerful one. They usually don't send more than one of the weaker wizards out on a task, though. Our best guess is that they're doing a lot of magic in a lot of places at once, so they have to spread their wizards thin."

Seven wizards? In an age where wizards have all but disappeared? That's worrisome.

"Well. Thank you. I suppose that's all I have to ask for now... Do you have a name you'd like me to call you by?"

"Our leaders would probably prefer we not contact you again."

"Tough. Come back here tomorrow night, same time. Or send someone else if you can't make it yourself. We have a common enemy and if we don't at least stay in contact, we'll get in each others' way. So. Do you have a name?"

There's a pause.

"They gave me the name Ela. It means 'desert winds'. I suppose there's no harm in letting you know that. I wish you well, Director."

Unsettling that they know your title. But perhaps unsurprising, given that they've been hiding from you up to now.

"Good luck to you to, Ela. I'll see you tomorrow night."

But just as you're about to leave, you think of another question.

"Just out of curiosity. Do you have any idea what's happening with the Maiden's Veil?"

"The stars? We have noticed."

"I didn't ask if you'd noticed. I asked if you had any idea why."

Ela shrugs.

"The gods may know, but we do not," they say. "Farewell, Director."

Well. That seems to be it for that conversation.

What now?
Yesterday, 02:27 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
word juggleryer

Offline
Posts: 3,720
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
You're now Marshall, Corvus just finished getting you caught up.
Yesterday, 03:12 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,393
Joined: Jul 2011
You suppose there's little to do except head back. You're overdue for finding out just what happened to that one-armed human when the wagon went missing.

---

You're now Marshall, and you're being debriefed. You feel like it would be more appropriate for Captain Long to do this, but for whatever reason Corvus has taken on the duty instead. Maybe everyone's busy again, or asleep.

"Before we get to the questions, I've got to make one thing clear," Corvus says. "There's a very powerful wizard doing stuff in this desert, not that we know exactly what he's trying to do. So that means we're probably going to need all the help we can get as far as magic is concerned. Which means, even though you haven't been at this wizard thing for very long, we might need your help."

That's a bit worrying.

"But there's also a lot we don't know. We just had a run-in with another wizard who claimed to be working against the first one. Then the super-wizard showed up and we had to get out, leaving our mystery wizard to fend for themselves. So there's a lot going on as far as magic is concerned and we barely know anything about it. Great situation to be in. You're probably going to wind up in the middle of it whether you like it or not, too."

He lets out a deep sigh.

"Sorry you got involved in this mess. I don't think it's what Rider wanted for you, either."

"It was my choice."

"It was, wasn't it. My choice too. So I guess we're stuck dealing with it," he chuckles. "Okay. So. Now that that's clear, you mind telling me where the hell you disappeared to with the wagon?"

You knew that question was coming. But where do you even start on answering it?
Today, 03:00 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
word juggleryer

Offline
Posts: 3,720
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
Mountain folk wagon-napped me. An old lady who could read my mind was nice, brought me back. Sounds like they were fighting against someone too. Maybe they're the good wizards?
Today, 06:30 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply