Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Swamped
Author Message
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Online
Posts: 8,648
Joined: Jul 2011
You can't think of a good way to stay hidden. Well, if she's going to find you, better that it be on your terms.

So you promptly step out from your hiding place.

"Hello! What brings you here at this hour?"

She stops suddenly.

"Is your name Elize?" you continue. "I heard about someone by that name with a nice pair of boots, and yours are certainly distinctive. Where did you get them?"

"Who in the hells are you, and what are you doing here?" she asks, finally.

"I'm Tom Sixth. Just got back from leave. I was hoping to catch the Postmaster before he called it a night, but it seems I'm a bit late for that. Had something to talk to him about."

She seems very nervous. Hmm. Perhaps she thinks you're threatening to tell him she was here.

How should you approach this?
06-21-2018, 01:33 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
I thought it would be funny.

Offline
Posts: 735
Joined: Dec 2011
A nervous person might let things slip, but she seems more likely to bottle up and bolt. Maybe you can soothe her nerves a little and make for a friendlier atmosphere.

So... is your name Elize? I couldn't quite hear you over the crows. Hey, how do you think a swamphen got up here?
06-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Online
Posts: 8,648
Joined: Jul 2011
You need to calm her down. Right now, she looks like she wants to get out of here more than anything, which isn't conducive to getting information unless you can actually stop her from leaving.

"So... am I right about your name?" you ask, as casually as you can. "I had trouble hearing your answer over the crows."

No response. She's probably looking for an escape route.

"I don't suppose you have any idea how a swamphen got all the way up here?" you continue. You try not to sound accusatory, since it seems to have surprised her as much as you.

"I heard someone snuck one in to hide it from the rain," she says. "Maybe they left it up here. I dunno, why are you asking me?"

"Because you're the only one around to ask, of course."

There's a pause.

"Guess you've got me there," she shrugs. "Would you mind letting me send my letter?"

"To who?"

"To none-of-your-goddamned-business, that's who."

Well! That was rude, but she's at least settled down a bit. How should you handle this from here?
06-22-2018, 12:22 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
NotABear
 RE: Swamped

Offline
Posts: 220
Joined: Dec 2011
Negative Context Suggestion Time!

Is there any reason to keep her from sending the letter? If the postmaster isn't here, it's not going anywhere. You could always just... come back later and explain yourself if seeing that letter is important. Or maybe you can't do that. Maybe you should just pay enough attention to try and identify the letter, and then you could come back later and steal it!

I'm just saying I'm no moral compass but maybe let her send the letter and find out more about whoever snuck the swamphen in? Is any of that stuff important? Maybe ask about the cool boots? Cool boots mean cool people.
Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Online
Posts: 8,648
Joined: Jul 2011
It occurs to you that, with the Postmaster gone for the night, there's no one to unlock the crow's cage. Which means the letter would be just sitting there, where you could grab it at any time after she leaves.

Of course, if you just get out of her way, she might realize that and then who knows what she'll do. So you might as well play it honestly.

"What's your rush?" you say. "That letter's not going anywhere until morning, whether you leave it there now or not. Unless you've gone and swiped the Postmaster's keys."

"Damn! You're right," she grumbles. "It might not get there in time. And that's just going to make everything more complicated."

"In time for what?"

"Never mind! Will you just quit bothering me already?"

She definitely doesn't want to talk about the letter.

"Well, I was just thinking that if this letter is important enough, it might be worth waking up the Postmaster so he can send it tonight. But if I don't know anything about what it is, well, I'm not going to risk getting him angry."

"If I were going to do that, I'd just ask him myself."

"You could, but I know him better than you do. In fact, I have a favor I was doing for him. It'd go better if you had me vouching for you."

She goes silent.

"By the way, those are some very nice boots. Where did you get them? And how do you keep them so clean when there's so much mud everywhere?"

Elize lets out a sigh.

"My mother's a shoemaker. I was planning to be one, too, until I heard the damn call. So we made this pair together and then I headed out to the swamp. It's got a special coating on it that the muck doesn't stick to very well."

"You did an excellent job."

"So everyone says. I'd really rather not talk about them, though. I get asked about them a lot."

"You could just not wear them, then."

"I didn't say I didn't like them. I just don't like repeating the story to every busybody I run into."

Now that just stings.

"So are you sending your mother a letter, then?"

"No, and what do you care? It's just a letter."

"A letter that you're in a hurry to send, apparently while hoping no one sees you sending it."

She goes quiet again.

"This isn't something illegal, is it?"

"Not in most kingdoms," she says. Then she sighs deeply. "Just back home."

You take a glance at the sign on the cage. You haven't actually seen it yet.

It says "KANDRIA". That explains a lot.

So. Where do you go from here?
Yesterday, 01:11 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Online
Posts: 8,648
Joined: Jul 2011
"I've heard things about Kandria," you say confidently, as if you know more than you actually do. "It's not a pleasant place to live, from what I hear."

"Not for people who aren't inclined to do what they're told, no. And I'd really rather not say more than that. Too much at risk."

"Mind if I take a guess?"

"Yes," she says angrily. "What if someone's listening?"

As an experienced eavesdropper yourself, you can't deny the possibility.

"Then let me show you something. If we are being observed, it'll be difficult to make out the details."

You pull the book out of your pouch.

"Would it be something like this?"

It's a guess, but it does make sense with what you know. If she were looking to get her hands on a banned book - or perhaps, to write a book she expects to get banned - that would fit with her comment on "hobbies".

She doesn't say anything in response. But her expression tells you quite clearly that you're on the right track.

You put the book away.

"Well. Perhaps we can talk about the details in a more secure place," you continue. "But I certainly wouldn't be against helping you send your letter a little more promptly."

She seems conflicted, but after a while she seems to accept that you probably know more than she'd like already.

"Fine. I'll stay here and wait for you to come back. But if you're not back in fifteen minutes, I'll just forget about the whole thing."

"That should be plenty of time," you agree. You promptly head down the ladder.

The officers' quarters are all in a hallway just off from the main offices, which aren't too far from the Roost. The offices don't tend to get a lot of patrollers at this hour; most of the focus is on the areas where people actually sleep, and the officers aren't subject to curfew.

Tonight, however, is an exception. There's someone standing on guard outside of... Vera Greenwoods' office, if you're remembering the layout correctly. And you can see four more patrollers wandering the area.

You don't know why they're here, but right now you're more concerned with getting past them. So how are you going to handle this?
11 hours ago
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: Swamped
word juggleryer

Offline
Posts: 3,836
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
You have a clear path, but you will need to duck into another office to make it through.
5 hours ago
Find Quote this message in a reply