Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Swamped
Author Message
btp
 RE: Swamped
word juggleryer

Offline
Posts: 3,849
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
Tom Ex-machina
07-14-2018, 02:58 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,709
Joined: Jul 2011
You've got one desperate idea. They must know the password - and it probably won't stop them, but it should confuse them. That might be all you need.

"A golden rose has silver thorns," you wheeze out. The knight at your throat pauses for a moment.

"He knows that password?"

"What's that matter? He was causing a ruckus a moment ago," the knight gripping your hands shoots back. "Just keep it up."

"But how did he find it out?"

"We can worry about that when we don't have Burgundy down our throats!"

The knight resumes his grip. You're not sure if that bought you enough time, but it bought you some. You desperately try to hold onto consciousness, but though Burgundy's figure is growing ever so slightly larger, you don't think it's going to be enough...

"You three! Hands off, now! Get up so I can see your damned faces!"

The gruff voice echoes in your ears, but strangely enough it seems to be coming from behind you.

Thankfully, the knights obey. You feel a great sense of relief as the pressure lifts from your legs, hands, and throat. You may just be able to hold on just long enough.

"Sir! He collapsed, we were trying to help..."

"By putting your hands on his throat?"

There's no further protest.

"I don't know what you were up to, but we're going to have a talk about it once this poor fellow's taken care of. Come on, now. Can you get up?"

You feel someone holding you by the hand, and helping you to your feet. You're still winded, but you think you can hold together for a bit.

"What's happening here, Tom?"

That voice is Burgundy's. You're a bit surprised she'd be asking you, can't she see you're still worn out...

"Not sure. Did you ask for this many knights watching your office, sir?"

Wait. Hold on. Maybe she isn't talking to you?

"I didn't. Who's the poor fellow having trouble standing?"

"Good question. You there! Can you tell us your name?"

"Tom Sixth," you mutter weakly. "Um, I came here to tell you something, sir..."

"Oh, of course there's two Toms here," Burgundy sighs. "Well then. Corporal Second, you tend to these troublemakers while I take Sixth to the infirmary. Got a feeling I need to have a look around the base."

"Yessir!" You glance at Corporal Tom Second; he's got a rather bushy mustache, and a stern expression. You can't recall running into him before, but you'll have to remember to thank him later.

Burgundy takes you by the shoulder.

"Come on. Seems I caused you some trouble because the records were a bit out-of-date, sorry about that."

"It's no problem. But, um, we've got something serious happening."

"I assume it involves Ash."

She's good.

"Um, that's right, sir. We were attacked... by... digging machines? Did you get a report?"

She gives you a glance.

"Digging machines? Just how hard did they hit you?"

"It's for real, sir! I swear! Ash is trying to manage the response himself. Don't know if any more are turning up."

You're not sure if you should mention the letter.

"Then I guess I'll have a talk with him after I leave you at the infirmary. Thanks for the heads-up. Now, try not to talk too much, you're clearly short of breath."

She's right. But you've also got to help out Grey, somehow. And if you're stuck in the infirmary, that's not going to be easy.

So how are you going to slip away?
07-15-2018, 02:33 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Pharmacy
 RE: Swamped
wake me up in five.

Offline
Posts: 622
Joined: Jul 2011
Raw Water Hell
Claim incredibly urgent bathroom break.
07-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,709
Joined: Jul 2011
Well, there's one old reliable dodge you can always pull. Especially since you just got back from leave.

"Er, Sergeant Burgundy, sir?"

"It's Private," she sighs. "Things have been really weird lately."

"Right. Well, ah, I haven't been in the base for a good while, and, well, I really need to find a chamber pot. I'm sure there's one in the infirmary, but I don't know that I can last that long."

You'd like to think you could have come up with something cleverer, but you're just not in great shape right now.

"Hmm. Closest public one would be by the laundry room, it's just down the hall over there. Given your condition, though, I'm going to have to ask you not to lock the door. It wouldn't do for you to fall unconscious in the privy."

"By the laundry room. Excellent."

The same laundry room where Grey and the others are waiting for you. You hadn't realized it was so close.

This could be awkward. First off, there's a risk of Burgundy finding Grey, and asking what he's doing there that late at night. Second, you bought yourself some time, but Burgundy's still sticking close.

What should you do?
07-16-2018, 01:49 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Pharmacy
 RE: Swamped
wake me up in five.

Offline
Posts: 622
Joined: Jul 2011
Raw Water Hell
Use clothes in the laundry room to disguise yourself.
07-16-2018, 02:02 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
I thought it would be funny.

Offline
Posts: 762
Joined: Dec 2011
Spill the beans.
07-16-2018, 03:56 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,709
Joined: Jul 2011
At this point, it doesn't seem worth hiding things any more. You're all on the same side, really.

So when you arrive, you decide to tell her what's going on.

"There's knights trying to stop Ash, sir. I ran into some of them earlier."

Burgundy sighs.

"Figured it might have gotten that far already. But whatever they're doing, if I get involved it'll become a much bigger deal. Can't just go wielding my tenuous authority as acting commander against an officer I don't like, after all."

You suppose she has a point there.

"I, er, might have a meeting with them planned."

"Not in the state you're in. You need to see the medic. Fast."

"They, er, might be very close by."

Burgundy groans.

"Close enough to hear me?" she says, slightly louder than normal.

After a few moments, there's a light rapping on the laundry room door.

"I see. Well. You're clearly delirious from how exhausted you must be. I can't trust a word you say, obviously."

You think you see where this is going.

"So we're going to stick with what we were going to do, which was give you a chance to use that chamber pot. Behind a closed door, in a small closet with wiping-paper in it."

"Sounds... sensible," you agree.

"So get to it."

You go into the closet, and take a bit of paper. It seems all you can do right now is leave a note.

So what should you say on it?
07-17-2018, 02:40 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Pharmacy
 RE: Swamped
wake me up in five.

Offline
Posts: 622
Joined: Jul 2011
Raw Water Hell
Write a codephrase and obtuse directions to the nearest safely hidden location. Spy stuff yeah.
07-18-2018, 12:29 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,709
Joined: Jul 2011
First things first, you should note that you didn't find any evidence.

After that, you opt to write Ash's password out. Not directly; in a simple cipher that Grey can figure out promptly, so he can decide whether to trust the others with it. It's useful information.

You put down some notes that you used it as a diversion against some of Ash's knights, but Tom Second is currently keeping them detained.

Finally, you add directions to a meeting place near the infirmary in case they need to contact you.

When you're done, you leave it on the floor and open the door.

"Hope you're feeling better now," Burgundy says. "Now come on, let's make sure you're all right."

You follow her down the hall. You do risk a small glance back to confirm that it's Grey checking the closet for your message.

"Sir, are you sure it's a good idea to escort me yourself?" you ask. "You should probably be looking for Ash to get a report on what's going on."

"Somebody's got to be around in case you collapse, Tom Second was busy, and we haven't seen anybody else."

Ah. Right. Still covering for the others.

"Fair enough," you sigh. "But I really don't think I'm going to collapse."

"Got to be sure. Sometimes injuries like that just sneak up on you."

Before you can respond, you catch a glimpse of something - a slicer? - striking the hall moss-lamp.

What little light there was here is gone now. And whatever you saw, somebody had to throw it.

What do you do?
07-18-2018, 12:48 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Pharmacy
 RE: Swamped
wake me up in five.

Offline
Posts: 622
Joined: Jul 2011
Raw Water Hell
Press back aganist wall so you won't be an obvious target and hustle out cuz you're in real danger.
07-18-2018, 01:01 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,709
Joined: Jul 2011
The first thing you do is find the wall. If your attackers are flinging anything else at you, well, at least you're limiting the directions they can hit you from.

Most likely, they're after Burgundy. You've got no idea where she is, and if you call out to her then you might draw attention from the attackers. Then again, that could distract them and give her a chance to get away. And it also might get the attention of nearby knights who can help.

You're just about to try it when you feel someone's hand on your arm. It's a gentle grip; Burgundy seems to have found you. You feel a gentle tug, and follow her silently, keeping a hand on the wall.

You think you hear something hitting the wall behind you. You'd rather not think about what it is.

A few minutes later, you see a working moss-lamp. Now you can confirm who's found you...

Wait. That's not Burgundy. That's Elize.

"What are you..."

"Shh! They'll find us."

"But where's..."

"Save it. The infirmary's not far, we can talk there."

You suppose you can. You certainly aren't feeling much better after that mess. Elize leads you to the infirmary without much incident, other than motioning to you to duck at one point. As if you needed the cue.

When you arrive, she closes the door.

"Tom Sixth, back again?" Eve asks. "Gotten yourself into trouble again, have you?"

"Maybe a little," you admit. "Um, someone went for my throat. I think they were only trying to knock me out, but you know. Can't take chances. My arms and legs aren't doing so great either. Oh, and Burgundy..."

"Is being chased by some of Ash's knights," Elize interjects. "He's desperate to keep her from ruining what he sees as his moment of glory. My friend and I tried to throw them off the trail by taking out a hall light, I need to go check in with her."

"Um," you say. "Would that be your friend Erin, and if so, did she mention how she knew about this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, she seems to be working for Ash. And now she's alone with Burgundy. It would be very nice for us if she'd turned on him, but if she didn't say that..."

Eve groans.

"This isn't your business right now, Sixth. Your business is lying down while I have a look at you. Especially if you've been choked."

You suppose you can't really argue with that.

"I'm going to have to check in with Erin now," Elize grumbles. "Good luck to you."

You're now Elize Sunflower, and you need to find your best friend and make sure she hasn't played you for a sucker. You're pretty sure she wouldn't take part in an outright mutiny, but come to think of it, she didn't tell you how she'd found out about this planned attack.

Well. The first step is to go to your agreed-upon meeting place, and see if she shows up. You just need a moment to remember where that was.
Yesterday, 01:44 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
thriggle
 RE: Swamped
I thought it would be funny.

Offline
Posts: 762
Joined: Dec 2011
By a certain memorial in the auditorium.
Yesterday, 02:47 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped
The Goddamn Pacman

Offline
Posts: 8,709
Joined: Jul 2011
Normally, when you meet up it's by your old pal's memorial. But with the auditorium off-limits after the greatrat attack, you can't get there so easily.

Instead, you've taken to meeting at the workshop, where you're assembling a new memorial because half of it was bitten off. Damned rats.

The workshop's in one of the least patrolled areas of the base, fortunately. Mostly because anybody who actually tried to use it at night would give themselves away with all the noise. You don't have much trouble slipping over there.

When you arrive, you find Erin, looking terrified.

"Where's Burgundy?" you ask.

"She wouldn't go with me. Which is probably just as well, because I think I'm being followed."

"Followed? By who?"

"Um. I didn't really get to telling you this, and I'm very sorry, but... I found out about this whole plan because I was supposed to help with it. And I think some of the other knights realized I spilled it to you."

"I didn't see anyone on my way in."

"I lost them, then? That's a relief." She pauses. "But wait, they might be chasing after Burgundy instead... Damn, I guess we're not done yet. We'll have to find her before they do."

Hmm. On the one hand, Erin's owned up, without you even accusing her yet.

On the other hand... well, she did hide it from you before now. And the whole situation seems pretty sketchy. She claims to have been followed, but you didn't see anyone nearby?

But maybe she just panicked. If she's sincere, she might well have overreacted to just seeing one of Ash's knights around.

Well. Before you do anything else, you've got to figure out if you can still trust your oldest friend on the base.
7 hours ago
Find Quote this message in a reply