Swamped

Swamped
Sneak in!
~◕ w◕~
Quote
It occurs to you that whatever's going on might relate to the package you brought here, since apparently it's important to their plans. You might get some idea of what's going on.

But this is also your best chance to get a look inside the temple without drawing attention. At the very least, you could see if you can find the statue you're supposed to steal.

You look over the crowd. Most of them are fixated on the spectacle in front of the statue. You decide to take the risk; if you're caught, you can always pass it off as just being curious.

You climb the steps of the temple, staying towards the edge so you'll be less visible. You can't help but hear some of the speech, though, but there's some weird words that aren't translating.

"The day of karaba is nearly upon us! The Master shall soon claim the acara, destroy the faradi, and liberate this sinful world! But the faradi will fight back fiercely, and so we must pray! Pray for the Master's victory!"

Sounds like the Master's fighting someone? Well, you already knew that much, you suppose. He seems to be after both the Bogknights and the Marshguards. It seems a bit odd that they'd have one word covering both groups, but maybe it's just a fancy word for "enemies" or something. You've got no idea what he could be "claiming", though.

For now, you stick to the plan and slip into the temple. You don't see anybody inside - probably because they don't usually have anyone to guard it from. Unfortunately, you also don't see the statue you're looking for.

What you do see is a lot of bookshelves, each of them overflowing with books. This temple has to be the largest library you've ever seen - not that you can make out any of the titles.

So how are you going to find the statue?
Quote
Just search, its got to be there somewhere
Quote
You can't think of anything outside of the obvious - just go down the rows of books and see if you spot anything. That's inconvenient, but you suppose you might come up with a better plan along the way.

At first you wonder if the statue might be in its own room, so you begin by walking around the outer perimeter, glancing down each corridor you pass.

You don't see any doors, save the ones you entered through, and looking down the corridors doesn't reveal anything beyond shelves and shelves of books as far as the eye can see. Nothing's narrowed down your options at all.

This is very strange. Is the statue just sitting on one of these shelves, too far in for you to see from the outer edges of the room? Or have they outright hidden it somewhere?

You start walking down the nearest corridor, scanning the shelves and the glancing at the countless unreadable book titles. You really wish you could think of a better option. This might not even get you anywhere.

Wait, hang on... the first few shelves you passed had titles in what looked like the language of the street signs. But now these look like very different symbols. Are these books in another language? What could that mean?

Does it even matter? You can't see this being any help in finding the statue.
Quote
Maybe if you touch the bear again, its owner would give you further instructions? Just make sure to do it somewhere not in the open though.
Quote
Maybe there's a section of books in a language that you can read; the subject matter collected could give you more insight into the nature of this religious system.
Quote
It occurs to you that, since this place is multilingual, there might be books you can read. You've got no idea how you'd actively go looking for them, or what they might tell you, but at least it's something to keep an eye out for.

It'd be nice if the damn bear would tell you something, but apparently you can't talk back through it. You reach into the pouch and touch it, in a vain hope that somehow this will alert whoever's on the other end.

Dammit! They've started already.

Seems you've got quite the sense of timing.

Where are you... in the temple. You must have seen the ceremony outside, then. They're using the statue for it. There's no way we can do this quietly any more.

You really don't like the sound of that.

Get outside. I'll give you a diversion, and you grab the statue. If you don't... well, I don't have time to get into detail. Just know that I'll make sure what remains of your life is miserable.

As if you had much to look forward to already.

Wait, hang on. Things will probably go more smoothly if you've got a book. Let's see... the ones from your continent should be about eight rows down from where you are now. Just grab anything you can understand, there's no time to make a better plan than that.

Why do they want you to get a book? Well, you're not getting an answer to that, you suppose, so you may as well take the advice. You run down eight rows and sure enough, most of the titles are in lettering you can recognize, if not necessarily words.

So. Which of these should you take with you?
Quote
The one about "Alexandra"
Quote
One about history, and one more.
Quote