free loather 2016
all threads should be loather's threads
03-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
SleepingOrange
 RE: New and Less Shitty Subforum Ideas Topic
Mirror Universe Evil Twin

Disembowelled in a Ditch
I wasn't, Reyweld. I think I was in the wrong then.
03-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Wheat

(03-16-2016, 07:37 PM)Reyweld Wrote: Actually I don't want to debate this. I retract my vote for bill th32re.

me too, i agree with slorange's thing and retract my

I would like to recommend though not making a habit of too many threads at once. 4 was a number I threw out there but probably more like 8 or 10 . just because while it's good to come up with new ideas, you don't want a bunch of other people's threads not getting read again after being pushed to page 2 or 3

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
03-16-2016, 08:14 PM
a52
i will fourier transform anything i can get my hands on

the woods
(03-16-2016, 03:09 PM)Wheat Wrote: yeah let's n ot be insulting. only mildly dismissive at most

pfft, what are you, some kind of NICE PERSON

only assholes are allowed in hawkspace
03-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Reyweld
zip

Canadon't know please send help
Meloncholy W-what about me?

EDIT: This was my 1000th post.

[Image: RdZZnCH.gif]

Sig:
Spoiler :
(03-02-2015, 02:07 AM)Papers Wrote: i don't know what i expected from reyweld's new hawkspace thread
(06-02-2016, 04:16 AM)Schazer Wrote: Tokyo could kick your scrawny ass

---

[Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1]
my babies
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2016, 09:51 PM by Reyweld.)
03-16-2016, 09:47 PM
SleepingOrange

Disembowelled in a Ditch
Now that I feel bad about, but at least it was a great use of a reaction image

I dunno, I think we as a community made the wrong decision, but that's not a value judgement on us as a whole or any individual person in the group. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, but it doesn't make you bad. It seems like I'm coming across as a lot more judgemental than I intend to.
03-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Reyweld
zip

Canadon't know please send help
Nope. You have just the right amount of judgmental.

Also, I think we made the right decision, and only because Bigro wanted post count as opposed to expression. With Loather, its harder to tell.

Sig:
Spoiler :
(03-02-2015, 02:07 AM)Papers Wrote: i don't know what i expected from reyweld's new hawkspace thread
(06-02-2016, 04:16 AM)Schazer Wrote: Tokyo could kick your scrawny ass

---

[Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1] [Image: egg008.png?raw=1]
my babies
03-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Wheat

it was posting for the sake of a meta-achievement of having the most posts, with almost all of the posts being just numbers. I don't know if there's anything at all being expressed with that. It'd be different if the posts actually expressed something other than a number, but that wasn't the case! (it's a similar case with the 14 identical http/banner threads, but not the other ones.) Plus the earlier decision came after people had already started grumbling about it and the response was to continue anyway, which came off as a little inconsiderate.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2016, 12:10 AM by Wheat.)
03-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Mehgamehn
Like New or Barn Fresh

American Pop Star
Slorange, I do not think your points aren't salient, nor are the "wrong" in any sense. But I fear that you're conflating personal concern for Loather with what should be acceptable behavior. Loather, as can be seen in the 2 am thread, has been going through some sort of breakdown in the past 24 hours. And Loather, whenever you're reading this, I hope you're doing better. I also hope that if something is straight up overwhelming you, that you seek qualified help, because despite everyone's good intentions, I do not think you're going to be able to find the help you need in a GenChat thread on a forum full of people who aren't sure what the heck they're doing in life either. You're a cool person, especially on IRC where you're very fun to talk to, and nobody wants to see you hurting like that. Please don't take my dissenting opinion on this as an attack on you, its not.

But, my opinion is, if this is a forum where you can post nothing but the Eagletime banner in a dozen threads, then this isn't a shitposting forum this is a spam forum. And maybe its okay this time, because it was over so quickly and because we know that Loather meant no ill intent. But its a bad precedent to allow someone to spam, no matter how cool they are.
03-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

I don't think there's a need for any sort of punishment, but those threads do interfere with the functionality of the forum. It's actively harder to browse when there's a big chunk of identical threads clumped together.

So I say we keep this simple and go with Reyweld's th31re, just delete the threads.

More specifically, I would like to clarify this as "delete the banner threads that do not have any replies at the time of this motion". I don't know if clarifying it in this way needs a new label, if it does I will call it th31re-b.

I don't see a need to work out a larger policy right now, let's just clean up the excess threads promptly.
03-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Mehgamehn
Like New or Barn Fresh

American Pop Star
Oh yeah, I don't think anybody's advocating punishment of any sort. I sure hope I didn't come off as calling for heads. I meant more that we need to actually address whether or not we think this should be allowed for the future, which I argue that it shouldn't be.
03-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

Nippon
I'd like to filibuster any mod actions being carried out in the forum until Loather herself has a chance to check in.
03-16-2016, 11:29 PM
Robust Laser
artbug

Kelowna, BC, Canada, THE MOON
I am all for proposal th31re-b. I was a little annoyed last night but w/e that was momentary. Really now I just want the clutter to be cleared.

I do want heads, though. Not any specific heads. Just bring me heads from anywhere you can find them.
03-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Wheat

i'm good with th31re-b

the other proposal, though wrongheaded for me lumping in other babythreads with the bathwater threads, wasn't meant as a punishment but an alternative to deleting things for tidiness's sake since I figured in the future there's no harm in letting loather keep on doing whatever, just so long as it got put into a single thread afterwards. after nixing that idea, I was only recommending, not as a rule or action, but as a soft suggestion of 'consider this in the future'

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2016, 12:23 AM by Wheat.)
03-17-2016, 12:16 AM
Mirdini

Strudel Central
I'm with Slorange on questioning the necessity of any mod action in this particular case.

Mehg's point does have merit though, and cleaning identical/functionally identical threads up seems like the neatest solution.

I'd vote for th31re-b now but I do agree with Schaz that I'd rather let Loather check in and give thoughts on the whole dealie first if possible.
03-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Loather

Here
do whatever imo
03-17-2016, 07:38 AM
bigro
Please explain

Radelaide
rio‚Äčt

[Image: sdivps.png][Image: ldrohc.png][Image: rqgkny.png]
03-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Jacquerel

if someone posts 20 banner threads then what happens is nobody replies to them and the regular threads return to the front page as soon as anyone cares to post in them, I don't see that it really interferes with much of anything at all
03-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Wheat

what if a spambot were to come on the forum and fill up a page of forum threads (not just one thread), do you keep the threads? you could apply the same idea, that eventually all the former threads will get updated

personally I usually only look at the first page of threads because if it's on the second page or more, it gives the impression that the topic is dead. maybe other people are like that too or maybe not

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM by Wheat.)
03-17-2016, 03:48 PM
SleepingOrange

Disembowelled in a Ditch
No? I don't think it's fair to analogize the posts of a bot designed by someone unconnected to the forum to the posts of an actual user. The bot wants to sell us something; the user is trying through the medium of multiple posts or threads to make a point or a joke or otherwise express something. I don't think we need to dissect the dialectics and codify anything to make reasonable decisions as similar-but-distinct events like this happen. I don't see the utility in taking an action in this specific case or in establishing hard rules for potential repeats.
03-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Mirdini

Strudel Central
Actually agreeing with Slorange on further thought, let Hawkspace anarchy reign.
03-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

It's inconvenient to have several identical empty threads clustered together.

It may not be a huge or common inconvenience, since not everybody's going to archive-browse Hawkspace every day, but it is an inconvenience to everyone who will, for whatever reason, decide to do that.

That is a very minor utility, it's true. But as far as I can see, it's more beneficial than "don't do anything", and nobody has offered me a reason to change my mind on that.

I don't even mean "has given me a reason I disagree with", I mean "there's no reason at all". "We don't actually need to" isn't really a reason on its own, since you can say it about almost any action at all.
03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Wheat

Okay slorange then liken it to being in a chat room. Everyone is having a conversation or multiple conversations. Then someone else comes in and takes the attention of the chat room with what they want to talk about all at once in a flurry, copy pasting the same thing over and over again.

Yes, they may be expressing something, but do you see how that way of expressing might be seen as not so high on consideration for the other people around?

(for example, obviously everyone there at the time could separately put that person on ignore and scroll up in their chat client to seee where the conversations had last been, but how far will people who were afk but checking back in the room scroll up and what might they miss?)

hawkspace is like a sandbox, but there are other people in the sandbox too.
you're free to express things, but other people are free to also express that they don't like when you express in a certain way, which is what's happening here.

I don't want to make any prohibitive rules (for instance, "you can't make more than 10 threads a day, or else x consequence happens to you" would be prohibitive). Merging threads with a footnote in its new place saying "this was thread 2 in the 3/10 great posting spree" would allow continued posting whenever. It'd preserve the content of expression (even though it doesn't preserve the whole of its form), and allow people to still respond to each topic while not taking up as much space. This has the advantage of reducing conflict by people who don't like it in the future. You can still make duplicate threads, and their content sticks around, just only for a limited time in its original form. (so hey it's almost like a special event if you find a duplicate batch.)

's why I think if any action should be taken, it should be merging all of the duplicate threads into one, with a footnote at each post saying where its original location was. that way, same expression, less space. I take back any previous votes on this and vote for this thing which I call duplicatethread

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2016, 10:02 PM by Wheat.)
03-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Loather

Here
i don't see the benefit of merging over duplication, but again, my official stance is to just do whatever you want

i mean it's cool if you just leave the threads too, hawkspace is all about chaos over functionality; just see the old ideas topic, heh heh h
03-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

I don't really have a strong preference for merging over deleting, I suppose. Either way it limits the inconvenience.

I'm still voting for delete but if there's a preference for merging I'll change my vote to that.
03-17-2016, 10:15 PM