Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Waterworks
LuFa
 RE: Waterworks

(07-09-2017, 06:18 PM)Fellow Wrote: >Maybe the bartender knows were the nearest bus stop is?

[Image: 2575.png]

Doesn't matter. Doesn't matter if you get lost. You so much as blink in the wrong direction, something'll show up to help you.

[Image: 2576.gif]

[Image: 2577.gif]

[Image: 2578.png]

[Image: 2579.gif]

[Image: 2580.png]

You're not kidding. You've got quite the liver.

[Image: 2581.png]

[Image: 2582.png]

[Image: 2583.png]

Stupid drones. They're everywhere now. In this city, they're usually built to take the form of garbage cans and dumpsters.

[Image: 2584.png]

You'd think that public robot servants would be useful.

...They are, but they're also government surveillance kicked all the way up to eleven.

[Image: 2585.png]

[Image: 2586.png]

They're programmed to put a human's well-being above all else. Unfortunately for you, this one genuinely believes your life is in danger and is going to be trailing you until you fall unconscious.

Seriously - you're good. You've, uh, built up a tolerance over the years. You're tired; You just want to go home and go to bed on your own terms.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 06:37 AM by LuFa.)
07-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
GuardianTempest

Try and distract it with a fetch quest, one that would bring it to the other side of the city. Or the next one.

Spoiler: OOC
Bits and pieces of the worldbuilding slowly fall into place. I wonder if it's always been this way or merely a measure taken after the incident. Hopefully the event wasn't broadcasted to the entire world or something.
07-17-2017, 07:34 AM
typeandkey

That place that isn't here
>It's a scam. It doesn't want to take you to the hospital. It wants something from you. Extreme paranoia is always the answer.
07-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Fellow
Guy the Chap

>Assure the trashcan of your good health by reciting the alphabet backwards.
07-17-2017, 11:31 AM
wolftamer9
Figuratively a Lime

One of them
> Trash Can: parrot what they taught me in Drivers' Ed- alcohol tolerance isn't a decreased level of inebriation, it's an increased ability to mask the symptoms. Ergo, she's dying. Don't look it up or anything, I'm pretty sure it's true.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM by wolftamer9.)
07-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Unclever title
incredible Username

>Tell the drone that you have a hospital at home.
>Ask him for a ride to your house where you can seek immediate emergency care from Dr. Bed.
07-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Shadowfyst997
The Wolfmaster

The Great Northern Canadian Empire
>Ask it one of those logic bomb questions. "The following statement is true. The preceding statement is a lie." Or if that's too much to get out at the moment, a simpler "This statement is a lie."
07-18-2017, 06:09 AM
LuFa

(07-17-2017, 04:07 PM)Unclever title Wrote: >Tell the drone that you have a hospital at home.

[Image: 2587.png]

You yell back at the trash can, saying that you have your own hospital at home. In your bed.

[Image: 2588.png]

It realizes that you're trying to talk to it and pretends to be doing something else.

[Image: 2589.png]

Ah, the hell with it. Why should you even bother. It'll leave you alone once you get out of this stupid city.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 06:37 AM by LuFa.)
07-19-2017, 08:05 AM
GuardianTempest

>Trash bot: Intercept her right on her doorstep
>Connie: Remind yourself why you're not going to join the sleepers and why you're not going to consider suicide either.

Spoiler: OOC
Woah, the state of the world is pretty cool but also sad. I wonder if the brain parasite is a lesser version of the black goo. Maybe a medical procedure is capable of extracting it and accumulation resulted in black goo. I wager it's largely extraterrestrial in origin, there's no way it is a result of evolution, natural or not.
07-19-2017, 09:01 AM
smuchmuch

Spoiler :
(Because god forbid peoples do things out of creativity, curiosity, need for self improvement or passion rather than pure necessity.

... Yeah, I'm going to call Connie as mayybe kind of an unreliable narrator here. She remind me of those workaholics who are forced into retirement and just mutter agrily at the new generation, 'what with them being asisted lazybones alway on dem newfanged computer, my god mam', in my time we were hard working and proudof it, yes siree'

And, 'the people are purposeless, the world is wasting away, misery everywheere !' doesn't that sound like a scenario some sort of control freak entity, oh maybe jsut a little hive mindish maybe, could make up to convince someone that assimilation is the best thing for everyone ?
(hey it's worth a try, even I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the real future of the adventure.)

But just from a narrative perspective, I don't get what is the point of showing this soewhat vision of the future and all hese plot elements (particulary th brain parasiite) now rather than y'know at the end, otherwise ?
(I mean it kind of take the risk of disengaging the reader as we would now already know how it end. Som storries do sometime show a flashforward and do the whole 'how did we gethere', but then it's generaly at the start, not smack in the ... middle , I think ?)

Unless LuFa actualy plan on ending the adventure very soon with the incomming flash, is already wapping loose ends (seems a lttle odd after yu just introduced one whallop of a plot element with a mysterious pandemic) and we are in the finale already, ooor the storry continues in some ways after the five years skip

beautifull flash as alway, great use of music and colors.

>Start humming under your breath, muic used to cheer you up, maybe you'll find some of that spring back in your steps.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017, 11:33 AM by smuchmuch.)
07-19-2017, 11:09 AM
GuardianTempest

Spoiler: In reply
To be fair, he did address this in his blog. Since he's already neck-deep in interludes, might as well get the worldbuilding out of the way before resuming the main adventure soon. At the very least we get a wider view of the world's state outside of what was given in the lore posts.

https://shakks.tumblr.com/post/162776632718/
https://shakks.tumblr.com/post/163168290588/
https://shakks.tumblr.com/post/163168798508/

And I read the world-building lore posts on his blog
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017, 04:38 PM by GuardianTempest.)
07-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Unclever title
incredible Username

>Reasons for life come and go but those who are awake can be ready when things change.
>If this much could happen in just five years... whose to say it's going to last?
07-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Smurfton

Spoiler :
smuchsmuch, I don't think this is after the end of the story. After the end of Waterworks, maybe, but I think this setup is more of a sign that LuFa plans on going somewhere with the plot after that adventure or part of the adventure is over.

What is this city's specialty?
How's that depression going? Does anyone know?
07-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Wheat

hey connie got any friends, or maybe hobbies? try those, or get some by joining an activity club

better than doing the whole self-destructive angsty wallowing-in-regrets-and-helplessness thing

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017, 05:52 PM by Wheat.)
07-19-2017, 05:50 PM
BoomerBoxer

Hi, just asking if theres a discord server for Waterworks?
07-28-2017, 07:12 PM
GuardianTempest

Hello there, 'fraid there isn't one.

If you're thinking of making one, I suggest you think otherwise as it's not really needed. He does hang out in some outlier servers.
07-29-2017, 04:53 AM
LuFa

[Image: 2592.png]

Blegh. You really need to get off your ass and do something meaningful for once. You thought you had something going on, but as you sat back and kinda just... let yourself go. Then, after a while, you get up to take a look around and realize that the world's left you behind.

(07-19-2017, 05:50 PM)Wheat Wrote: hey connie got any friends, or maybe hobbies? try those, or get some by joining an activity club

better than doing the whole self-destructive angsty wallowing-in-regrets-and-helplessness thing

[Image: 2593.png]

Well, there was José... You should have been up front with him and actually offered to do something together that didn't involve you being miserable.

As far as hobbies go... Your bathroom could use a bit of a tune-up. You used to be so meticulous when cleaning it. However, because it was so perfect, no one (including yourself) ever really wanted to use it. After a while, you guess you just gave up. What's the point in cleaning something that will just get dirty again?

Still, that's no excuse for your current behaviour. You can do whatever you want. You could pull a virtual reality helmet out of a vending machine right now and connect to the internet. That's where everyone is these days. People from all over the world join up to live, learn, dream and create together. Musicians host digital concerts where millions attend. Art is painted, programs are written... There will always be someone or something that will be there for you.

...Except it isn't real. You're a bit hung up on that part.

One argument that you keep giving yourself is that the people are real, and so are the relationships that you have with them. A rational person would agree, but to be frank, you're having a little bit of trouble suspending your disbelief.

[Image: 2594.png]

Anyway, it looks like you've reached the "bus stop".

Technically, these aren't traditional busses. They're more like shuttles that literally get shot to other terminals. Imagine a cross between a maglev and a bullet train, and then remove the track. That's the sort of stuff you're dealing with here. That, and garbage cans that can pass the Turing test.

[Image: 2595.png]

You enter the terminal. Things are so quiet, you wager there's likely a shuttle already docked in there, just waiting for someone to board it so it can go somewhere.

[Image: 2596.png]

You can go anywhere you want, but you always find yourself bouncing back and forth between nothing and nowhere-in-particular. The day begins with you sulking over breakfast and ends with you in bed, your body too preoccupied with your self-medicated alcohol poisoning to offer up any surprises. You could do this forever. But did you ever want to?

You should pull Slick's helmet out of storage again. It's been a while, maybe it'll do you some good to see him again.

[Image: 2596b.png]

[Image: 2597b.gif]

Spoiler :
Well, we're going out with a whimper instead of a bang, but at least we're finally going out. Intermission's done. I've got a lot of animating ahead of me.

I have some stuff to talk about. I've already made a blog post, but I'll reiterate down here.

I've been thinking on the previous update, and I've decided to remove a part of it. Namely, the bit with the animation...

I want to commit to that setting, but I've come to realize that nobody needed to know any of that at this point in the adventure. There's no point dropping it in the middle of a bunch of stuff that still needs to be tied up. I've removed the content of the update itself, but the YouTube link will still be available to serve as a testament to my hubris.

I have to secure some hosting for Waterworks' images and animations. Dropbox will stop supporting public links on September 1st. If I don't get my shit in order by then, the adventure will go down until I've got everything organized and re-mirrored.

After that, I need to work on the animation that should hopefully be the last nail in the coffin and finally bring us back to the Waterworks proper. So, while this is happening, this adventure will effectively be on hiatus. I will post an update on the blog in due time and assess what has been done - If I haven't made enough progress, I'll scrap the animation and we'll do things the old fashioned way.

Please bear with me as I continue to dig myself out of this hole. I'll try to keep everyone posted on the tumblr...

It's a bit late for me today... I'll post this update to the tumblr and the mirror tomorrow. Thank you, and have a good night.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 06:38 AM by LuFa.)
08-23-2017, 06:54 AM
gloomyMoron
That Grouchy Ol' Curmudgeon

Looks like I happened to find the forums and catch up at a good(?) time. Good to see this is still a thing. Although, apparently I missed a world-buildy thing? Shame. Anyway, I'm caught back up so I can once again wait for updates like everyone else.
08-23-2017, 12:39 PM
typeandkey

That place that isn't here
>Here's something that'll cheer you up. Subway graffiti. Show the interior walls who's boss, you're a real-deal rebel!
Or
>Whoa-whoa, Connie, stop daydreaming. You're fighting for control of your being, remember?
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 07:05 AM by typeandkey.)
08-23-2017, 09:01 PM
GuardianTempest

>Connie: See Slick again

Heh, well bronze isn't so bad. Glad that the intermission is over.
08-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Angustine
His Most Serene Higness

The Land of Never There
>Connie: go to sleep
08-25-2017, 03:31 AM
Smurfton

Connie: contain/defeat the hivemind, already