Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
truck.
goblin's
 RE: truck.

have you ever participated in a convoy, and do you have a special trucker handle?
04-18-2016 03:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ICan'tGiveCredit
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

Location: The deepest, most petrifying depths of your local Wal-Mart
how was your culture shock. do you hang with other truckers?

"A day without a laugh is a day wasted."
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png][Image: Sm02KV6.png]
04-18-2016 03:29 AM
Wheat

(04-18-2016 02:25 AM)btp Wrote:  1. Any cool stories about meeting people?
2.Any sucky stories about trucker culture shock?

E: 3. are you in a truck RIGHT NOW?

4. Also, how do you internet on the road?

4. Mostly using the mobile hotspot of my smartphone. I used to have just a mobile wifi thing but it sucked. Also sometimes going into buildings with free wifi. Truck stops have an 'offer' where you can pay for like a month of that company's wifi service for 20 bucks but that's about as much as I pay for mobile wifi so no thank pal.

I try to limit my bandwidth when I'm using my mobile internet since I have a limited amount of data with the phone plan. That means I generally don't watch youtubes or upload things while on mobile, and wait until i'm at a place.

Oh, btw the major truck stop companies, who have gone on a spree in the last decade in buying up all the little truck stops in a quest for market dominance, are:
a> Pilot/Flying J, owned by some crooked piece of shit under investigation for defrauding trucking companies with fuel agreements. also that guy owns the cleveland browns, the worst football team.
b> TA(travelcenters of america)/Petro [xx-small]the aforementioned Iowa 80 truckstop got bought out by TA.[/size]
c> Love's

3. Yes, though I could go inside a building right now for free wifi. I'm currently not under a load.

2. Most of the worst stuff was at the truck driving school actually. I'll share some of those later

1. The people that i've met from here are cool, otherwise I can't think of meeting like cool strangers or anything. Though i'd bet that later in this thread a more specific question might jumpstart recollection of some vague memory which results in a bunch of paragraphs.

I picked up a guy at a rest area who was begging me to drive them to a place with a phone one time:
Spoiler :
THINGS TO TALK ABOUT:

electricity
deer
licenses
how to get license
truck school story

07:19:19: <guesswheat> i wouldn't mind picking up a person and dropping them somewhere else
07:19:38: <guesswheat> i'd just have to like, clean up for it which would beeee uggghh
07:19:43: <kitet> hi pjhstm
07:19:55: <pharmacy> hello
07:20:42: <DragonFogel> Hi Pharms.
07:20:52: <pharmacy> hi foges
07:21:18: <guesswheat> also another problem would be that I don't have much control over where i go, so you'd just have to hope that wherever my routing is doesn't go 1) into canada 2) too close to the mexican border since there are checkpoints and they ask if there are any passengers and it might be complicated to have an undocumented passenger
07:21:33: <kitet> wheeze
07:22:45: <guesswheat> the albuquerque truck stop where I was last night, I got my door knocked on by TWO truck stop prostitutes in one night
07:22:57: <PickYerPoison> hi pharms!
07:22:57: <kitet> whhhwhwhw what
07:23:02: <guesswheat> and i'd only encountered 2 up to that point so far in my 2.5 years
07:23:55: <RobustLaser> is tumblr down
07:24:08: <RobustLaser> or is my new internet weird
07:24:12: <guesswheat> truck stop prostitutes, called 'lot lizards' will go around truck stops or monitor cb radios near truck stops and ask if you want some company, because lots of truckers have a problem with being alone for long periods of time
07:24:31: <kitet> it went down for me for a second
07:24:54: <guesswheat> haven't seen many which is why i thought it was odd that there were 2 in one night
07:25:04: <kitet> dang
07:26:23: <guesswheat> i've picked up a total of one hitchhikers so far, and that was someone at a rest area who was reallllly assertive about it and I would have felt like a jerk to not hike their hitching
07:26:29: <kitet> yeah tumblr's being slow and broken
07:26:43: <guesswheat> I think they were on something, because they kept talking to themselves
07:28:53: <DragonFogel> Or maybe they were talking to a ghost!
07:29:26: <guesswheat> the whole conversation of them trying to get me to take them to a gas station was listened to by my parents, because they had just called me and I apparently didn't hang up when I turned off the earpiece thingy
07:30:22: <guesswheat> so after it was all over my parents called me and were like "uhhhhh your poor dear mother was scared, hearing you talking to that stranger, wondering if you were going to end up in a ditch somewhere"
07:30:51: <kitet> hggfhahah oh nooo
07:31:47: <guesswheat> the guy wanted me to take them 10 miles back to the rest stop because they said they had wanted to get gas at the gas station, but they didn't say anything about turning around and bringing them back
07:32:44: <guesswheat> so I ended up dropping them off at a gas station, in some tiny kansas town, and was like, uhhhh i can't . i'm on a schedule i'm sorry so I felt like a jerk anyway
07:33:44: <guesswheat> though at that point i was more creeped out than anything by the constant mumbling under their breath

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
04-18-2016 03:34 AM
btp
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

If a bunch of little kids fist-pump at you while on the road, do you blow your horn?
04-18-2016 03:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wheat

(04-18-2016 03:20 AM)goblins Wrote:  have you ever participated in a convoy, and do you have a special trucker handle?
no and no.

I don't have a cb because it's basically a shitposting forum that distracts squawks at you while driving, with the content of the shitposts being the kind of things you would expect when you gather a bunch of people who lean far right into a place where they can troll others anonymously and without moderation

one of the trainers on my month over the road with my first company (oh yeah, forgot to say there was a month where I was guided by a "driver-finisher" who acts as navigator and trainer, teaching you how to deal with shippers/cosignees and fueling and the tricks to life on the road) had a CB and someone in newark kept on saying the n word repeatedly, while someone else was chiming in now and then with "howard sterns penis, over."

(04-18-2016 03:29 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote:  do you hang with other truckers?
how was your culture shock.
Also [Image: QUNlxN.gif]

The culture shock was going from 'dork mostly existing on the internet' to 'you're at trucking school surrounded by mostly rural people who like making off-color jokes, also some of these people are your instructors and you can't say anything about it because they might take points off for attitude'

(cw: sour words and rude 'tudes, skip down to the next section/quote to avoid)

Spoiler :
For instance, the set-up for on-road driving instruction was: 4 students, one instructor. One student drives 1.5-2 hours at a time while the instructor sits in the passenger seat and the other three students sit in the back observing, waiting for their turn. The instructor, all the while, talks, making observations and advice and small talk, but mostly making small talk/leading conversations.
On this particular cloudy, murky day, some other student is driving, and the topic is about, uh, domestic issues. The instructor segues into the following joke:
"There are 250,000 battered and abused women in this country, and they all have one thing in common..."
"...they don't listen!"
followed by laughter from at least two of the other three students (didn't see one of them, but I think they did) and the instructor themselves laughing at their own joke. I just kind of sit there in silence, probably twitching a little, while a thought comes across my mind for a moment that maybe I should grab the wheel and pitch the truck into a ravine/gas station.

But then it all got sad when everyone but me continued talking about women, and all of them have been divorced at least once and they just don't get why??

Ah, found a log written from around that time:
Spoiler :

Mambo gango (11:54:21 PM): the jolk is on my face
Mambo gango (11:54:24 PM): like egg jolk
Mambo gango (11:55:39 PM): also speaking of colored the other day I was road instructed by Real Life Sandy Miller and he referred to a black student (not one that was present) as the 'colored kid'
Mambo gango (11:56:28 PM): he also said he isn't voting because he doesn't like either of the candidates but he would have voted for herman cain because '9-9-9, baby'
Barbiedentures (11:57:14 PM): See he's not racist for using antiquated racist slang
Barbiedentures (11:57:20 PM): He'd have voted for a black guy!
Mambo gango (11:58:55 PM): Another snippet: "so then I said, i'm not going to teach him. he's not going to get in my truck if he doesn't speak english."
Mambo gango (12:03:24 AM): another: "all those japs are damn arrogant"
Mambo gango (12:03:51 AM): that was a different instructor
Barbiedentures (12:04:09 AM): Pffft
Barbiedentures (12:04:11 AM): Really
Barbiedentures (12:04:12 AM): "Japs"
Mambo gango (12:04:22 AM): yuuuuup
Barbiedentures (12:06:34 AM): That's
Barbiedentures (12:06:41 AM): Honestly really funny to me
Barbiedentures (12:07:01 AM): Literally the only other time I've heard "japs" in real life was from an ancient WW2 vet
Mambo gango (12:07:10 AM): what I thought was funny is how with the real life sandy miller and two other students in the truck, the instructor is talking all about pussy aww man I just wanted to get that pussy this one time I saw a woman standing outside in a thong and I could have just pulled over and jammed it in her right there and they're talking about women basically like they are objects
Mambo gango (12:07:27 AM): and then they proceed to talk about their personal womanly lives
Mambo gango (12:07:36 AM): and all of them have been divorced at least once
Mambo gango (12:08:21 AM): all of them were like "oh, she was a bitch, she kept on pulling shit like 'I'm tired,' I don't know what happened it must have been her fault"
Mambo gango (12:08:47 AM): "why wouldn't she put out. women are teases"
Mambo gango (12:10:11 AM): one of the students was like "man I have problems with my current wife, she hasn't let me do it to her in 3 days, she's pregnant and she's mad at me, fuckin' bitch I don't understand it"
Mambo gango (12:12:23 AM): yes I disconnected and it wouldn't let me type
Mambo gango (12:14:12 AM): there wasn't much more to the story but he was like "yeah I mean she's pregnant because I guess I did something wrong, she says she didn't want to be pregnant but I'm not usin' no rubber, that's not what I do I must have not pulled out in time"
Mambo gango (12:15:15 AM): "I don't want to talk to her about it 'cause I don't really like abortion" meanwhile he has child support payments to a different woman

oh yeah the trucking school adventure happened the month of the 2012 election+THE BENGHAZI so that might have contributed to the general dour and charged atmosphere for everyone there.
(04-18-2016 03:39 AM)btp Wrote:  If a bunch of little kids fist-pump at you while on the road, do you blow your horn?
[Image: 5VyfE2.gif]

that's unsafe to other motorists!!

I do the fist pump back at them which confuses them

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 04:34 AM by Wheat.)
04-18-2016 04:23 AM
Wheat

[Image: 95YIZr.jpg]click for full, or cff from now on
Here's chicago, around 2.5 years ago. You can tell it's chicago because of all of the traffic. A bunch of major interstates lead to chicago, and all converge near each other.

[Image: TFfEYR.jpg]cff

This is on i90/i94 east, heading southward. Yeah the east/west designated highway goes south/north for many miles/km because of the way highways are designated in the US.

Okay, so the interstate system......... actually I'll get more on this tomorrow.

[Image: saCMek.png]cff, or actually just assume it might be cff from now on and hover over the picture. i promise not to trick you with cff pictures.

For now just know this is two major highways running concurrent with each other, and split off soon, leading to a lot of traffic from everyone wanting to merge at the last second. All the people in that lane that's clearly marked as about to end are going to try to merge in ahead of everyone else, because, lol.

[Image: FFbpL0.png]

Plus chicago drivers are rude and are triple not good drivers. Multiple people on the day of this cut across the shoulder of the highway to get into the merge area from an on-ramp for the sake of passing three or four cars. Two of them were driving Infinitis.

[Image: 3l7fw6.jpg]
Don't die from driving ungood! Give space, especially ahead of truck.! Truck. cannot stop quickly. Thank's for reading!

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 10:11 AM by Wheat.)
04-18-2016 10:06 AM
Papers

Wheat

[Image: msicon1.png][Image: msicon2.png]
04-18-2016 11:35 AM
Papers

You have been TRUCKED

04-18-2016 11:36 AM
Coldblooded
Ankylosaurus

How many states/provinces have you visited while on the road, and can you finally answer the real question of which state really has the worst drivers?

Tumblr/Steam
04-18-2016 03:13 PM
Wheat

(04-18-2016 11:36 AM)Papers Wrote:  You have been TRUCKED

AHHHHH

(goodone)
(04-18-2016 03:13 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  How many states/provinces have you visited while on the road, and can you finally answer the real question of which state really has the worst drivers?

all the lower 48 states in the US + british columbia, ontario and quebec.

There's no definitive worst but the following are places with frequent bad driving that i've encountered:
  • chicago
  • dallas/fort worth and houston TX
  • a bunch of states in the southeast are bad whenever there's even a hint of bad weather. like if it rains? ghhhhuh how do I deal with wet
  • driving along i5 in northern oregon and portland area
  • eastern michigan/detroit area
  • virginia, especially northern virginia
  • colorado

if you're in a luxury car, you're more likely to be inconsiderate/aggressive as a person. there's a study on that.

So if I see a shiny expenso-car near me in a merge area, I'm extra careful because there's a good chance it'll do something stupid like swerve in and out of traffic or speed up to cut me or a bunch of other people off.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 09:29 PM by Wheat.)
04-18-2016 09:24 PM
Loather

houston traffic is super fast

[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
04-20-2016 04:05 AM
Wheat

Dual Tires vs Super Singles
Spoiler :
05:20:34: <Timu12> jreat what do you do when you get a flat tire
05:21:23: <jreat> call my company's road service department
05:21:51: <jreat> they check for the nearest/best road service crew who then comes by to make an over-the-road repair
05:22:08: <jreat> *cheapest, not best
05:23:02: <jreat> that is, if one of the flat tires is on a tractor or trailer with 'super singles'
05:23:49: <jreat> some have dual wheels/tires so if one blows out, you can drive to the nearest shop
05:24:50: <jreat> you know, how they're called 18 wheelers is because there's 5 axles, and 4 of the axles have 4 tires on them - two on each side
05:25:28: <jreat> [Image: 8NwM6RO.png]
05:25:35: <Timu12> dual tires!!
05:25:53: <Timu12> do dual tires have a purpose besides being a spare tire
05:25:59: <jreat> that's a truck with duals. super singles are just, one big tire instead of two thin tires for all of those (except the front)
05:29:18: <jreat> well, originally it was just regular singles
05:29:33: <jreat> so duals increased stability and safety
05:30:34: <jreat> compared to super singles, though, it's mainly about the stability in case of a flat/blowout
05:31:00: <jreat> which is a pretty big deal, you know, so people don't die when you swerve into them
05:31:08: <Timu12> i think when i was little, on account of not really thinking about it, i thought 18 wheelers were these
[Image: 5deed4513fe0945c38f201676c505874.png]
05:31:30: <Mehga> Man back in the cool days
05:31:32: <Timu12> safety is important for cars and vehicles
05:31:36: <jreat> but other than that it's: duals may be more maneuverable on ice/slick weather
05:31:53: <jreat> also, easier to find since not all shops carry super singles yet
05:32:22: <jreat> super singles are lighter and give you better gas mileage
05:36:39: <jreat> wow. roller blades on a truck
05:36:50: <jreat> it seems radical, in a 90s action kids kind of way

What happens when you get a blown-out tire? Let's find out!!!

[Image: h035UW.jpg]

Here, you see what happens when a super single blows out!
If you drive too long on a bad tire (to get to a safe pull-off point), you can bend the rim which requires replacement, and maybe even damage the axle which is a lengthy job. Luckily neither rim nor axle was bent/damaged here.

[Image: A2r1Fv.jpg]

Here's what you do:

First you pull wherever is safe. What's best is going somewhere away from traffic entirely; next is the shoulder of highway.

Turn on your emergency flashers as you slow and pull off; keep them on until you have your triangles (below) set up.

[Image: B9KCc5s.png]

Next, you put out 3 reflective orange triangles - either 3 behind your truck if it's a divided highway at 10 ft behind, 100 ft and 200 ft; or one 100 ft in front of the truck and two behind (10ft and 100ft) if it's a two-lane, two-directional highway. Put them out further if you're on a hill or curve that might obstruct the view for motorists.

Next you call for help and wait for their road service truck to do stuff and then someone else fixes the problem for you the end.
Doip

I waited like four hours for this particular thing, because one place took a while to figure out they didn't have super singles and the other was faraway and got lost by gps directions trying to get to my truck.

By the time everything was fixed, I was out of legal driving hours so I just waited there a few more hours until I could drive again. It's important to have a sturdy patience since you'll spend a lot of time waiting indeterminate lengths of time, whether at customers, in traffic/accident/construction areas, or awaiting maintenance work.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 03:01 PM by Wheat.)
05-01-2016 12:15 PM
btp

Do you get paid for the time you were waiting, since you were technically "driving"?
05-01-2016 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wheat

Nope. Basic pay is per mile. You can get extra pay for certain things varying by trucking company, and also you can get layover pay if you're at a customer or if you're broken down for a while in some cases*.

If you're at customer or broken down for a few hours, that's unpaid work time. If you factor in how many hours you put in for what you get paid total, the pay doesn't seem as great per hour as before!

I wasn't marked as driving; I just ran out of hours on my "you can't drive at any point 14 hrs after you first start your shift" clock. That one's a pain sometimes; I wish I could just drive and nap/sleep when I'm tired without going over the 11 hr limit, but I understand why that rule's there- because otherwise companies will have make pickups at crazily vacilating hours.

*Last year I was broken down in Salt Lake City for a month but I didn't get paid for it. They put me up in a hotel room, and it was a nice stay at first but by the end of the month I was ready to get going again.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 03:20 PM by Wheat.)
05-01-2016 03:12 PM
Lieutenant Fish
never settle for subtle

I'd never thought about becoming a trucker, but now that I've heard so much of your perspective on it, how you've made it work without having to play into or even deal with so many undesirable trucker stereotype type things. . . it's something I could potentially see myself doing. I love audiobooks, that's for sure, but I'm also a sucker for material possessions. Do you have a tiny apartment somewhere that you don't visit often, or a long-term storage space, or anything like that?

05-01-2016 06:24 PM
Wheat

Still livin with parents Meloncooly

They're good with the arrangement because it means they get to see me like a week every other month, a magical time period that isn't too little for them to be like "oh we never see you anymore" while also isn't so long as living full time, where after a few weeks tensions build

I could move out and share an apartment with someone else if I wanted to, like my brother or something but I don't really like paying a bunch of money a month for something I'd barely use. I could also throw/give a bunch of stuff away

05-01-2016 09:18 PM
Lieutenant Fish
never settle for subtle

So, you sleep in the truck, you cook and eat lots of meals in the truck, but where do you shower/bathe? Do truckstops have accommodations for that?

05-02-2016 12:30 AM
a52
midipunk clipartcore

Location: Once a frontline combatant in the Omnic Crisis, this curious Bastion unit now explores the world, fascinated by nature but wary of a fearful humanity.
Have you ever been to Seattle?

I love my job | I hate my job | War is hell | My job is war
The noises, they never stop

[Image: egg006.png?raw=1]
05-02-2016 12:56 AM
Our Lady of Lampreys
Rebeliot

This sounds like a wonderful life to be honest. I'm kind of jealous.

The story is describing Upper and Lower forests. Several kids are exploring the forest. Anyone who looked up from lower forest grew dizzy. When the children found something in the forest it was an amazing sight. Most parents got worried when the kids went to the forest because they thought it was dangerous.
05-02-2016 04:53 AM
Wheat

(05-02-2016 04:53 AM)Our Lady of Lampreys Wrote:  This sounds like a wonderful life to be honest. I'm kind of jealous.

It's not for everyone, but it suits my personality type and various strengths/flaws perfectly Happymelon

[Image: rnKEas.jpg]Mountain in northern CA, from route US 97. I think it's Mt. Shasta

(05-02-2016 12:56 AM)a52 Wrote:  Have you ever been to Seattle?
I've passed by several times, and had loads there three or four times!

One time I visited a friend and we walked around a riverfront and saw an owl.

I don't go to the west coast as much as I'd like. Most of my time is spent between coasts.
(05-02-2016 12:30 AM)Lieutenant Fish Wrote:  So, you sleep in the truck, you cook and eat lots of meals in the truck, but where do you shower/bathe? Do truckstops have accommodations for that?

Truck stops have showers, but you have to pay for them (they're about ten bucks) UNLESS you have a fuel loyalty card. In that case you get a shower credit for each time you fuel up. The shower credits expire depending on which truckstop you're talking about.

There's also your company's terminals; they'll have a shower but stopping at one is not as frequent an occurance if you're an OTR (over the road) driver compared to a regional or local driver.

if you haven't been at a place with a shower in a few days, then hopefully you have a jug of water and soap and a washcloth; you can at least clean yourself up a little bit; either that or find a sink

Spoiler :
bonus mounain view, from side. Not sure if it's the same mountain

[Image: 7CsfnH.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 10:08 AM by Wheat.)
05-02-2016 08:49 AM
Justice Watch
I was once an earthexe

This is far more interesting than I could have ever expected it to be

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
05-02-2016 12:22 PM
Lieutenant Fish
never settle for subtle

That is definitely Mt. Shasta. (Or, as my friends and I used to call it, Mt. Igor.)

05-02-2016 01:11 PM
Papers

It's the same mountain

05-02-2016 04:48 PM
Wheat

Today I learned I'm bad at distinguishing mountains.
^
/\

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 02:37 AM by Wheat.)
05-03-2016 02:22 AM
btp

How did learning how to drive a truck compare to learning to drive a car?
05-03-2016 03:03 AM