Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
truck.
Wheat
 RE: truck.

if you want to see what nebraska looks lke it's like this.

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 05:26 AM by Wheat.)
04-02-2017 05:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
a52
midipunk clipartcore

Location: Once a frontline combatant in the Omnic Crisis, this curious Bastion unit now explores the world, fascinated by nature but wary of a fearful humanity.
It mostly looks like nothing at all.

It's so flat and brown, it makes me uncomfortable just watching it.

I love my job | I hate my job | War is hell | My job is war
The noises, they never stop

[Image: egg006.png?raw=1]
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 06:55 PM by a52.)
04-02-2017 06:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wheat

nebraska is mostly hills but the highway is along the platte river for most of the way so the highway is flat

04-02-2017 07:00 PM
Wheat

eastern pa to massachusettes on i84, which one of the main ways to get to new england without going along the coast (route)

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2017 08:10 PM by Wheat.)
04-16-2017 08:10 PM
a52
midipunk clipartcore

Location: Once a frontline combatant in the Omnic Crisis, this curious Bastion unit now explores the world, fascinated by nature but wary of a fearful humanity.
Questions:
Where have you NOT been in the US?
Have you ever trucked to Canada or Mexico?

I love my job | I hate my job | War is hell | My job is war
The noises, they never stop

[Image: egg006.png?raw=1]
04-16-2017 10:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ICan'tGiveCredit
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

Location: The deepest, most petrifying depths of your local Wal-Mart
wheat's never trucked inside the white house

"A day without a laugh is a day wasted."
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png][Image: Sm02KV6.png]
04-16-2017 11:18 PM
Wheat

I haven't been to alaska or hawaii in the US.

I've been to canada several times, almost always going to quebec or ontario. Twice i've been to BC, in the ol' vancouver maneuver (and also one of those times I also went to kelowna).

i've been right up near the mexican border, but us drivers usually don't go into mexico. freight comes over from mexico-side drivers who come over, drop their trailer or have it unloaded at a customs broker, and then it goes north from there. The most common quebec loads i've done came from the mexican border at laredo, and the customs paperwork on it was done in such a way that it doesn't really count as being in the country except for being transported from one port to another.

04-17-2017 10:23 AM
Wheat

here's starting from around the same place in central pa and going the opposite way.

04-24-2017 10:10 AM
Wheat

have a picture of a notice a former company i worked for had on their bulletin board

[Image: xS9YJc.jpg]

"traveling through the animal"

cw: animal death
Spoiler :
I recently nearly hit a deer. It was crossing and had passed my lane right as i was approaching, then it stopped to start turning around before I got parallel to it. It was too late for the deer to turn around back into oncoming traffic and get hit, so this one was left unscathed - which was probably not what it wanted.
Deer seem to be drawn to the fronts of passing vehicles. Other animals will go a different direction from an oncoming vehicle. Deer will jump in front of the vehicle if they aren't in front of it already, while they will just chill in the lane you are. If you move lanes, they will match your efforts.

I've hit two before and it causes a big mess plus some damage to the front bumpers of a truck and maybe a little undercarriage (no personal injury risk, since a truck is too tall for a deer to reach the windshield). The first time it was upsetting - it stood at the bottom of a hill at night, on an unlit interstate, and there was no time to stop. There was a light "thunk", like the sound of a softball hitting a tin roof; the truck kept on moving all the same. When I stopped a mile later to check, I saw the damage and deer detritus inside the undercarriage. I was left feeling shaken about the suddenness of it all: the fragility of life, the suddenness of death where a thing is living in one second and then gone the next, and the guilt of being involved in that.
Then the stink of deer guts lingered with the truck for weeks which left me like, 'no thanks.' Now deer are just a hassle. The second one was sprinting around rural texas hill country at midnight and darted into the road at the exact moment it took to become not living anymore. Its sprint momentum left it clear on the other side of the road, on somebody's lawn, which was probably not a pleasant surprise for them in the morning.

Deer are cute, but a hazard from how death-prone they are and how much they tend to graze on roadsides. Motor vehicles are probably the leading predators of deer

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 04:00 AM by Wheat.)
05-10-2017 03:35 AM
btp
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Trucks are a keystone species.
05-10-2017 06:28 AM
Wheat

just for emphasis on the physics of collisions:
A car moving at 65 mph and at the average US weight of 1850 kg has a kinetic force of 781 kilojoules. A grenade (with 200 grams of TNT in it) releases 800 kilojoules. So already a car moving at highway speed is enough to very likely be fatal.

The legal weight limit of a semi truck in the US is 40 tons (80,000 lbs or 36287.4 kg). A truck loaded up to 35 tons or 31751.466 kg traveling at the same speed has 13405 kilojoules, or 13.405 megajoules, which is more than the energy from 16 grenades.
Even an empty truck/trailer combo weighs half that, so it'd be like 8 grenades.

excuse any bad math, i'm not good at physics

And when it comes to stopping distances:

According to some some website (which has other scenarios) :
Quote:A typical tractor-trailer or other large truck can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds by law. Most passenger vehicles are about 3,000 – 4,000 pounds. A passenger vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds, traveling under ideal conditions at a speed of 65 miles per hour (105 km/h) would take 316 feet (96m) to stop (nearly the length of a football field). In comparison, a fully loaded tractor-trailer weighing 80,000 pounds traveling under ideal conditions at a speed of 65 miles per hour will take 525 feet (160m) to stop (almost the length of two football fields).

[Image: N1lF1r.jpg]

Trucks stop through air brakes systems that use friction against big ol brake drums (the air system actually supplies air to the chambers to take the brakes off the drums; if the air brake system fails and no air is supplied, then the truck will stop because the brakes will be set by default). A truck stops by transferring all that kinetic energy into heat energy.
Truck braking systems are designed to actually be more effective while the truck is fully loaded, as it can generate more friction, so it can stop faster when fully loaded. However, this generates more heat so when using brakes often (like when going down a hill), the brakes can lose their effectiveness and braking ability if they get too hot.

[Image: wmxfUNw.png]

When going from 60 mph (100 km/h) to a full stop, it takes about 4.6 seconds for a car to stop (or 6 seconds on wet pavement). On dry pavement at 65mph for a truck, it takes somewhere between 6 to 10 seconds to come to a complete stop.

People talk about tailgating, but what i've seen more often is people cutting off trucks. You should leave trucks a decent amount of space in front of them because if you don't and everybody has to brake for some worst-case scenario, you will probably get dead. The truck may not be able to stop in time, but it may be able to swerve or slow enough that a crash isn't fatal.

05-11-2017 01:55 AM
Wheat

the traffic is usually bad any time at day and it goes on for 80 miles. the dallas fort worth metro area.

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 07:00 AM by Wheat.)
06-22-2017 06:58 AM
Wheat

trinidad, colorado to el paso, tx

Yesterday 10:00 PM