The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Adler: Realize that you don't actually know anything about their research, not even what it looks like. Why can't they have a large, well-formatted document detailing the steps in simple terms laying around, how inconsiderate!
>Adler: Decide to sabotage the project by stoking the flames of Jealousy between Rotnev and Nevidyah, thus breaking them up. Let her wake up seeing him in your arms.

Class act as always, Estvan.
Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>on closer inspection the bowl of water is glowing. you can see what they are dreaming in the glowing water. In fact they are dreaming together, the bowl has linked them. By the looks of it, they are dreaming as if they are working in the laboratory still! Guess that will keep them occupied a little longer as long they dont realize estmare isn't a walking, talking, kipper in their dream.

Adler: > you got a kingdom to save and a lab to ruin! To the laboratory >>>>

Estvan: > Have a whale of a time with lab equipment and do some mad science of your own.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Adler : Ransack the room. Time's-a-wastin', kiddo.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Theronmyathus > Double check the report, put the report in a manila envelope and seal it with a official wax seal. Send it directly to the king via underling.

Adler > you see the magic stone tablet with "the old crow" on it. try to understand whats on it

Adler > you see labeled samples of king estemere in some magical windowed box. Also around it are many jars with mishaped things in a weird fluid. you feel sick.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Hmm, even if you sabotage their notes and samples, they will still know how to do it. I wonder could you use Gramayre or elfmind to make them forget ? (Or better to make them remember something else, it would be hilarious if they started clucking and dancing like chickens when presenting their research)
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
King Estemere > Be oblivious to the report contents as you just hand the envelope over to your ministers to deal with it, thank "the-ron-my-this" and carry on what you where doing.

Theronmyathus > Be a little sad the king didn't bother to read the well prepared document himself. Adler read all your reports. Go back to the office a little dejected

Ministers > Excuse yourselves from the king presence and order the guards to find and detain adler quickly!!
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Adler, use elfmind on the unconscious foxes. Be disturbed by what you see.

Liquid in the bowl, do NOT be water.

Avogadro, after leaving the building, pass by a huge, fuzzy and roughly spherical object being rolled by some foxes, while being escorted by a juvenile monocled vixen wearing a pair of odd knee-high boots. Object, make angry complaining noises.

Rumours about the impending winter, start spreading throughout Albric Tor. Reach both the King and the Marshal.

I'm rather curious about the meaning of various Vulpitanian medals. And by just which criteria are they awarded? Maybe the Young Monocled Patriot could explain?
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
SpoilerShow

Quote:>Have a shocking discovery! That's not water!
>on closer inspection the bowl of water is glowing. you can see what they are dreaming in the glowing water. In fact they are dreaming together, the bowl has linked them.
>Hmm, even if you sabotage their notes and samples, they will still know how to do it. I wonder could you use Gramayre or elfmind to make them forget ? (Or better to make them remember something else, it would be hilarious if they started clucking and dancing like chickens when presenting their research)
Adler, use elfmind on the unconscious foxes. Be disturbed by what you see.
Liquid in the bowl, do NOT be water.

[Image: 1223notwater_zpsr27flejo.gif]

I noticed that the surface of the water was flickering with a pale light, so I crouched down to investigate. A strong whiff of a strange pickle-like odor persuaded me that the liquid in the bowl was not actually water. As I peered into it, I could see ripples of phosphorescence flickering out from the hands of the two foxes. Where the ripples met, they coalesced into images. It looked like tiny replicas of Rotnev and Nexivydah; they were dancing amid a flock of flying .. herring? Perhaps this was a magickal projection of a dream they were sharing. Had Estvan done this? If so, where was he now?

I pondered using Elfmind on the sleeping SALVs, but I wasn't sure about intruding on the dreams of a sleeping elf - especially one in an enchanted sleep. According to some of the lore I had read, there was a risk of becoming caught in the dream and falling asleep along with one's victim. There were supposed to be ways to defend against this, as well as methods for making people forget information, but I was not familiar with the technique.

It certainly would have been handy to have met Estvan here, but I saw no sign of him.

Quote:>Adler: Realize that you don't actually know anything about their research, not even what it looks like. Why can't they have a large, well-formatted document detailing the steps in simple terms laying around, how inconsiderate!
Adler: > you got a kingdom to save and a lab to ruin! To the laboratory >>>>
Estvan: > Have a whale of a time with lab equipment and do some mad science of your own.
>Adler : Ransack the room. Time's-a-wastin', kiddo.
Adler > you see the magic stone tablet with "the old crow" on it. try to understand whats on it
Also around it are many jars with mishaped things in a weird fluid. you feel sick.

[Image: 1223alchemy_zpsrhxpytb2.gif]

I was feeling pressed for time, so I got up and hurried into the next room, where the SALVs had set up their alchemical and thaumaturgical equipment. I stopped, bewildered, in front of a table where some sort of condensing apparatus had been set up, next to a rack full of gross-looking things in jars. I wanted to disrupt whatever process was underway here, but without knowing exactly what it was, there could be risks of explosion, or meltdown, or poisonous gas .. I had no idea what might happen if the wrong things came into contact with each other. If only I had some technical data on these experiments! But even if I did find the foxes' research notes, did I really have time to study them?

I looked around and spotted, propped in the corner, a tablet with the name of the Old Crow carved on it. Why was this here? Maybe it was a clue.

SpoilerShow
The Ballad of Adler Young: Silly furry elf adventure. Read the RECAP: http://adleryoung.tumblr.com
Steampup: Surreal dog-headed Victorian adventure. Winterbough Saga Wiki: Everything we know about Faerie, its history & inhabitants.
See an edited recap of Zandar's Saga, and new pages at my Patreon. Peruse original music at Bandcamp. Or you could just Buy Me a Coffee.
*Adorable plum-munching Mavis avatar by the incomparable Tronn.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Adler > What you thought was a jar of eye balls, actually are super sized pimento stuffed olives. Next to it, a creature sleeping in a jar, you recognize as a mer elf.

Adler > After looking over the old crow tablet, Pocket it and look around for more research papers/ manuscripts/ notes written on a napkin.

Adler > Spot Meadow in the distance through a window. She is frantically jumping and waving her arms. Meadow is saying something but you don't understand.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Looks like they're distilling some classic Vulpitanian Vodka, but why?

>Commune with OLD CROW.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Some quick sabotage is in order. As you go about your business, make a point to switch their precious apothecary supplies around, maybe change some labels too. They'll be powerless to stop you.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Just flip the table and hope for the best
Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
(12-24-2016, 08:54 PM)Vancho1 Wrote: »>Commune with OLD CROW.

Old crow > Rise from your grave!
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
One jar, contain a live Scuti larva. Creature, look very miserable.

Adler, examine the tablet in as much detail as possible. Then accidentally drop it.
Tablet, break.
Loud breaking sound, stir a reaction in one of the foxes.

Marshal and sergeant, begin organizing the search for Adler.
Search for Adler, be hampered by a rising panic from the town's population, attempting to flee Albric Tor in fear of the Kringle. Marshal's attempts to convince them otherwise, do not be very successful.

Ixie, arrive with news.


Follow up question: What exactly is the escapist medal awarded for? Making an X number of successful getaways?
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
(12-25-2016, 08:44 AM)tronn Wrote: »>Just flip the table and hope for the best

Adler } the contents of the vials spill onto you. Covering you in samples taken from your brother. Yes thoses samples
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
SpoilerShow

Quote:>Looks like they're distilling some classic Vulpitanian Vodka, but why?
>Just flip the table and hope for the best
Adler } the contents of the vials spill onto you. Covering you in samples taken from your brother. Yes thoses samples

I cautiously sniffed the fumes coming out of the top of the condensing apparatus. It smelled rather spiritous. Were the foxes distilling liquor? Was this setup even related to their fertility project? There seemed to be no way to know. I briefly considered tipping the table over onto the floor, but the thought of unknown - possibly volatile and/or disgusting - substances splashing all over the room, and all over ME, dissuaded me from this action.

Quote:Adler > What you thought was a jar of eye balls, actually are super sized pimento stuffed olives. Next to it, a creature sleeping in a jar
>Some quick sabotage is in order. As you go about your business, make a point to switch their precious apothecary supplies around, maybe change some labels too.
One jar, contain a live Scuti larva. Creature, look very miserable.

I decided that my best sabotage option would be to rearrange the jars on the shelves, possibly changing their labels. A closer inspection revealed that none of the containers were labeled; I was going to have to do something to spoil their contents. I hesitantly unlatched the lid of a jar containing what were either pickled onions or pickled eyeballs, and used a nearby pair of tongs to pick one out. I still couldn't tell what it was, so I dropped it into an empty beaker and examined another jar containing .. a pickled mer-elf embryo? I turned the container upside-down on the shelf and undid the clasp, so the contents would gush out the next time anyone picked it up.

[Image: 1230youngscuti_zpsr62stlde.gif]

I used an empty flask and a funnel to transfer several powders from their proper containers into different ones .. and then .. behind a row of test tubes with milky sluglike things in the bottom of them, I found a jar containing what looked like a small Scuti all coiled up inside. I held up the jar and examined it closely. The creature inside glared at me sullenly. It was alive! I quickly set it down and walked to the window for a breath of air.

Quote:Adler > Spot Meadow in the distance through a window. She is frantically jumping and waving her arms. Meadow is saying something but you don't understand.

[Image: 1230gesticulate_zpslpxkgfso.gif]

I noticed Meadow jumping up and down and waving her arms on the parapet of the building across the way. I was going to have to have words with her about giving away her position at the debriefing afterward.

Quote:Adler > After looking over the old crow tablet, look around for more research papers
>Commune with OLD CROW.
Adler, examine the tablet in as much detail as possible.

Turning from the window and scanning the room from a fresh vantage point, I again noticed the ornately carved tablet propped against the wall. I picked it up and examined it. The surface bore the words "THE OLD CROW" in large letters. I stood there looking at it, inspecting it for magickal traces, trying desperately to understand what the Old Crow could possibly have to do with the Vulpitanians' bogus fertility scheme. If only there were some research notes somewhere! But this tablet contained the only writing I had seen anywhere in this room.

Quote:Then accidentally drop it.
Tablet, break.
Loud breaking sound, stir a reaction in one of the foxes.
Ixie, arrive with news.

[Image: 1230whodat_zps70tjwqek.gif]

"Sire," an Ixie whispered right behind me. "I thought I might find thee here."

I flinched and dropped the tablet, which shattered as if it were made of crockery rather than stone.

"Rhubarb," Rotnev muttered drowsily from the other chamber.
The Ballad of Adler Young: Silly furry elf adventure. Read the RECAP: http://adleryoung.tumblr.com
Steampup: Surreal dog-headed Victorian adventure. Winterbough Saga Wiki: Everything we know about Faerie, its history & inhabitants.
See an edited recap of Zandar's Saga, and new pages at my Patreon. Peruse original music at Bandcamp. Or you could just Buy Me a Coffee.
*Adorable plum-munching Mavis avatar by the incomparable Tronn.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Rotnev: Custard.

>Ixie: Warn Adler that the jig is up.

>Jig: Be mostly up.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Adler > Grab the jar containing the scuti Alice & Mara might want to talk to it, then do a runner out the window. shimmy across the wall ledge to meadow on the other side. Do not look down.

Adler > the old crow tablet had a fancy magical gem in it. pick it up and put it elfventory. you might be able to replicate the tablet with it.

Quote:Then accidentally drop it.
Tablet, break.

Old crow's grave > Crack
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>Grab the scuti and scram. Maybe hearing what it saw lets you to figure out a crucial step in the experiment.
Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Is it just me, or do Vulpitanians really like rhubarb?

Adler, try using elfmind to determine what Meadow is trying to signal you.

Experts, start to slowly wake up.

Ixie's news, be dire.

Jar scuti, start moving around, as if it were trying to say something. Several other creatures, start showing signs of life.


Hippy Nude Deer, appear.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>... bit of a long shot perhaps but... you have that bassin who let you see the Vulpitians dremas and they're clearly reacting to sounds so... why not mutter a few chosen words ('King Estmere', 'research', 'the plan') in their ears to make them dream about their research and see what appear on the water ?
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Adler > if Rotnev and Nexivydah have not awoken, give the scuti jar to mara & alice, then continue the lab investigation/sabotage.

Adler > see meadow again out the window, she looks panicked. Estvan is there now trying to get your attention. You get a elf mind message but its not clear "Begorrah!
*** *** Adler, *** *** ** ***** ** *******, fháil amach tapaidh! Fleasc!" something in the lab is blocking elf mind, but you dont understand what is coming through.
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
>As it turns out, breaking that tablet is pretty much the absolute worst possible thing that you could have done.

>An Explosion or a vortex or something: Happen

>Adler: Wow, you've certainly been doing a lot of running today, haven't you?
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
Grue > Emerge from your cage, hungry and angry. See the white skunk. see it as "Tasty!", Wreck the lab as you bolt for your prey
Quote
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
(Not to derogate other posters suggestions but I really gotta ask: People, between all that's already happening, do you really feel the plot would benefit from getting more cluttered than it already is with random vortexes and sudden Grues ?)
Quote