Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

REFUGEVILLE
Author Message
Mayu_Zane
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#51
 

Offline
Posts: 138
Joined: Jun 2016
(06-09-2017, 02:51 PM)btp Wrote: I suppose the farmer would exit in wolf form, suspicious in case this creature tries anything with the cows. One of our female members would exit in human form, maybe to help provide comfort to the creature.

A farmer exits the safety of the house in wolf form, while another villager carefully approaches the creature.

[Image: QqCvIAI.jpg]

The winged being notices the villager, but doesn’t fly away. Instead, it slowly approaches. It is making an enormous effort not to appear threatening, moving slowly and with its head lowered, almost as if in shame. The creature vomits. A tube falls onto the grass. The creature nudges the tube forward.

[Image: 6ha4zHo.jpg]

Your villager opens the disgusting tube and finds a scroll. She reads as the wolf escort remains alert for any danger:

Quote:Meat Box
South

God Box
North

Plant Box
West

Brain Box
East

PROPERTY OF THE SIGNET
DO NOT REMOVE FROM VAULT

This creature… has stolen a scroll from the Signet vaults! The reader gently places her hand on the creature’s face. It is a shame that it cannot speak, only managing squeaking noises.

The other settlers come outside, and they discuss what to do with the winged being. One of them gets an idea: Give it a writing utensil and see if it can write. Though there is no ink, they can use blood from a caught fish. No need to write much, even a word is enough to see if it can speak to them in some form.

By dawn, they get a branch, some fish-blood and a blank plank of wood. It’s not perfect but it will do. The feathered one patiently waited, showing signs that it understood the villagers’ request for it to stay. With a bloodied branch in its mouth, it writes:

Quote:ME
AELLO
BORN
WOMAN

Aello. Born a woman. It is clear now that she too is another victim of the Signet, her body twisted for the sake of their curiosity and lust for torment.

Aello is welcomed into Refugeville. Her ability to fly should make her an excellent scout, though she refuses to fly for now. She is afraid of Signet scouts who might be watching the skies for her, as she has only recently escaped. Aello accepts the gift of the hastily-carved stick and plank as her personal writing instruments.

The village priest has been examining the scroll Aello brought. It’s a list of Palaces where the Signet store their prisoners, but only with vague directions. The settlers might have to send out expeditions to explore and find these places.

Dawn arrives.

And so does a walking shack.

[Image: gt6hJLR.jpg]

A screeching noise emanates from the shack:

“GAMBLE NOW? GAMBLE NOW?”

Kori and Ogot know what it is. It’s the Dice Shack. Possessed by the ghost of a gambler, it roams the world looking for people to play with. It accepts anything as currency, even worthless rocks or dirt. If you win against it, the Dice Shack will happily pay you double the amount that you bet with it. The only real danger comes from not being able to pay back double the amount you bet with it if you lose: The Dice Shack WILL remove an organ from your body as compensation.

So if you bet a crumbit, be ready to pay 2 extra crumbits if you lose.

The Dice Shack only plays one game: Dice roll. Two dice, each with six numbered sides. If the total is odd, the Dice Shack wins. Even, you win. If you tell it to leave, the Dice Shack will sound angry but will comply. This thing will be back again someday, but it is impossible to predict when that would be.

Rimewulf does not forbid gambling, so the people may play with the Dice Shack if they so wish.

What should the people of Refugeville do?

- Tell it to begone.
- Try to make some crumbits.
- Try to increase number of weapons.
- Attack the Dice Shack. With fire.
- Have someone ride the Dice Shack.
- Don’t gamble but give the Dice Shack something for free as a gift.
- Something else.

>_


Population: 9 out of 12 shelter spaces

Wealth: 8 crumbits

Animals:
1 Dog (Relief)
2 Cows (Bilin, Daina)

Plants:
12 tapioca (sapling)
10 mangould (sapling)

Weapons:
Iron Knife x 1 (4 crumbits)
Stone Axe x 9 (2 crumbits)
Stone Shovel x 1 (2 crumbits)
Steel Hooked Chains x 2 (Equipped by Guards, 8 crumbits each)

Guards:
Two Chain-Hook Users

Merchants:
Kori (Miscellaneous Goods)
Ogot (Building Materials)

Stockpile:
323 branches (1 crumbit for 4 branches)
4 mushrooms (1 crumbit each)
1 deer meat (7 crumbits each)
5 rabbit meat (2 crumbits each)
5 fish meat (2 crumbits each)
1 jar of milk (4 crumbits each)
4 loincloths (1 crumbit each)
191 stone

Buildings:
1 stone house (with basement)
1 shrine
1 palisade (half done)

Blessings:

Devoted Wolfpack: Rimewulf’s followers can transform into wolves at night, granting faster movement, enhanced senses and combat strength.

Arara’s Shade: Your people can endure heat that would normally cause heatstrokes. A common blessing for desert-dwellers and those who wish to endure drought.

Curses:

Marked By The Signet: The Signet will never stop sending scouts.
06-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wyatt
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#52
clown brown from downtown

Offline
Posts: 474
Joined: Apr 2016
heckvile
>Cut a jig seductively and maybe they'll let you go.
06-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Arcanuse
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#53
 

Online
Posts: 496
Joined: Dec 2016
>Ask if it could teach anything on being a better gambler

Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
06-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Mayu_Zane
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#54
 

Offline
Posts: 138
Joined: Jun 2016
(06-17-2017, 11:29 AM)wyatt Wrote: >Cut a jig seductively and maybe they'll let you go.

Your villagers dance in front of the Dice Shack, but it just rattles its dice around while screaming “WANT TO PLAY?”

(06-17-2017, 11:33 AM)Arcanuse Wrote: >Ask if it could teach anything on being a better gambler

The Dice Shack suddenly stops moving and whispers:

“Bet small.”

Then it goes back to its usual routine. You, a ghost yourself, understand that the soul trapped in the shack was allowed a moment’s clarity. Whatever cursed the gambler into this state, it saw fit to grant one small mercy.

Should you tell your people to bet something?

>_
06-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Arcanuse
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#55
 

Online
Posts: 496
Joined: Dec 2016
Two crumbits. No more, no less.

(Perhaps one day we might free the gambler from this state.
But not today. Perhaps, if our group of survivors lives and prospers, we might be able to do something. If we decide we want to, of course.)

Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017, 01:40 PM by Arcanuse.)
06-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#56
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Offline
Posts: 3,559
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
It accepts anything as currency?

We bet 1 story. A tale of what we knew of the world around before seeking refuge. The Dice Shack has traveled many places and seen many things, that is worth more to us now than crumbits.

Let's also finish that pallisade today, along with making more axes to sell.

Also, dang that's a lot of bunnies! Let's grab a bunch for food and for sacrifice.

What is our normal food consumption?
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017, 09:24 PM by btp.)
06-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
LoverIan
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#57
 

Offline
Posts: 357
Joined: Nov 2015
(06-19-2017, 07:47 PM)btp Wrote: We bet 1 story. A tale of what we knew of the world around before seeking refuge. The Dice Shack has traveled many places and seen many things, that is worth more to us now than crumbits.

>Ask to play 6 separate rounds with the following bets
-1 story
-2 loincloths
-1 stone axe
-1 crumbit
-The knowledge of 1 thing in a cardinal direction (ex: the winner learns of two places that the other player is aware of existing, such as the prisons)
-And lastly we are prepared to bet 1 sapling. Winner gets two different saplings.

>Ask for a rest between rounds, and if it would like to take a refreshing drink from the stream, or sit down with the villagers for midday meal.
>And lastly when it prepares to leave ask if it would allow someone to ride atop it until it becomes night, and for them to part while the villager turns into a wolf and heads back to the village. Have the villager part ways with the Gambling Shack early if it manages to get further away than they can travel back within a night.

[Image: egg003.png?raw=1][Image: egg001.png?raw=1][Image: egg008.png?raw=1][Image: egg009.png?raw=1]
06-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Wessolf27
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#58
 

Offline
Posts: 56
Joined: May 2016
I agree with gambling for a story and a couple of crumbits.
06-26-2017, 01:08 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
smuchmuch
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#59
 

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 2016
We could first gam ble with some small pebbles that cna be grabbed on the ground to sse if the shack has a 'system' to it's gambling and learn the games without risk.
06-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
LoverIan
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#60
 

Offline
Posts: 357
Joined: Nov 2015
(06-26-2017, 04:30 PM)smuchmuch Wrote: We could first gam ble with some small pebbles that cna be grabbed on the ground to sse if the shack has a 'system' to it's gambling and learn the games without risk.

Uh... not sure how to tell you but the system was fully explained?

You bet (Gambling Shack does not), and if you win you get pay out of x2, and if you lose you pay x2. If you cannot pay the Gambling Shack removes an organ from your body.
2d6, Odds House, Evens Player.
The odds favor us by default more than the House, and all bets that have been made so far are fully payable in addition to being non-vital things.

The only thing we don't know so far is the max amount of games we can play before it decides to leave, and what happens if the Gambling Shack cannot pay along with how it does.

[Image: egg003.png?raw=1][Image: egg001.png?raw=1][Image: egg008.png?raw=1][Image: egg009.png?raw=1]
06-27-2017, 05:12 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Mayu_Zane
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#61
 

Offline
Posts: 138
Joined: Jun 2016
(06-19-2017, 07:47 PM)btp Wrote: We bet 1 story. A tale of what we knew of the world around before seeking refuge. The Dice Shack has traveled many places and seen many things, that is worth more to us now than crumbits.

Your villagers bet something quite abstract: A story about the world. The oldest member of Refugeville tells a tale older than The Signet:

Quote:In the beginning of the Verezan history, there was much strife. There was little food and even less water. The Verezan people were constantly fighting but they never grew any stronger.

Then, in the Year of the Mammoth, a King rose from the Old Valley. His name was Agabai, the First King. He was different from everyone else, for he was the first to see the true strength of the Verezan people, and saw the weakness in their quarrels. He had little wisdom, but he was gifted with a strategist’s mind.

Through fire, blood, wits and courage, Agabai created a nation. After he married the First Queen Ogana, his family sought knowledge in other lands, and learned how to build stone houses. The Verezan race finally built their first city… Agana.

The Dice Shack hasn’t moved an inch throughout the tale. Then it rolls the dice.

The result is 4. You win. The Dice Shack is bound by its curse, and speaks with a strangled voice as it tells two stories of the past:

Quote:Eight months ago, there was a river in a desert. It’s gone now. The Signet took it to their Palace, because they wanted the river but could not leave their Palace. Such is their nature, their lives bound to their home.

Then a week later, some of The Signet’s power leaked into the river. A baby boy was born in that stolen river. His name was Toufan. The Signet let him live, because they wanted to see what he would do if they let him be. A month later, Toufan turned into a fish and The Signet smashed him into pieces, for they thought it would be funny.

When that failed to make them laugh, they put Toufan back together again, and turned him into a cube made of flesh before throwing him back into the river, where he now breathes and dreams of sunlight.

“What in the world was that story?” You wonder to yourself. Could it be that The Signet are not greedy, selfish conquerors as everyone believes, but just simply insane? You listen to the next story.

Quote:A year ago, there was a very sick man who wanted to be healthy. The man suffered from boils that would not heal. His name was Hiramis, and people mocked him for his appearance. He sought a cure, but no one could help him.

After years of failing, he fell into despair and he ran to The Signet, in the hopes that they would kill him. Instead, they removed all of his boils and turned them into flying eggs. Hiramis was confused, but grateful. He swore an oath of loyalty to the Signet, and they laughed with joy.

From that day onward, Hiramis became the Knight of Stars, a powerful warrior of the Signet. In his hands he wields tiny stars that burn brighter than the sun, sworn to kill all those who oppose his masters.

Hiramis. Now that is someone to be wary of.

One might think that these stories are of no worth, but to you, they are valuable. They reveal the extent of the Signet’s powers, their ability to create and remake life, cure illness, and create powerful weapons. It also seems the Signet will actually spare those they deem useful.

It has also been revealed that the Signet never leave their Palace. Perhaps one day, in the far future, someone will invade the Signet Palace and end them once and for all… but that would have to be someone with power to rival even gods to stand a chance.

The Dice Shack then walks away, off to find another inhabited place.

(06-19-2017, 07:47 PM)btp Wrote: What is our normal food consumption?

You realize that your people haven’t eaten for days. They might have been trying to ration it somehow, but in the long term this will not benefit them. You guide them:

“1 meat item or plant item per day for each person. A rabbit, a piece of deer meat, a carrot… anything to fill the stomach that will not harm you.”

They proceed to enjoy the food in their stockpile, satisfied that they don’t need to be so conservative.

4 mushrooms consumed
5 rabbit meat consumed


The day passes through noon, and the palisade is complete, with gates in the north and south.

[Image: uDlWvVI.jpg]

They manage to catch 8 rabbits, their meat added to the stockpile. They also catch 2 fish and gain 2 jars of milk. They sell off three axes, adding 6 crumbits to Refugeville’s wealth. A little mushroom starts to grow in the southwestern corner of your village’s walls.

Your people now wish to send two explorers out into the world. They look again at the stolen document Aello the Winged Woman brought with her.

Quote:Meat Box
South

God Box
North

Plant Box
West

Brain Box
East

PROPERTY OF THE SIGNET
DO NOT REMOVE FROM VAULT

They want to see what one of these boxes looks like. They will send two people out at night, in wolf-form.

Where do they go?

- Meat Box: South. The land down south is infested with ghouls, Aello warns. The Meat Box is covered in stones and seems to be spewing out a new ghoul every now and then.

- God Box: North. Kori says there is a small town to the north, just a few miles from here. It’s completely covered in moss. The God Box is a massive clay building covered in runes.

- Plant Box: West. There was a forest there, says Ogot. It’s gone now. All that’s there is a massive wooden cube: The Plant Box.

- Brain Box: East. Aello tells your people there is a very large tent that smells of rotten eggs on the way there. The Brain Box itself is a gigantic brain-looking thing made of steel.

No one knows what’s inside these Boxes.

>_

Population: 9 out of 12 shelter spaces

Wealth: 14 crumbits

Animals:
1 Dog (Relief)
2 Cows (Bilin, Daina)

Plants:
12 tapioca (sapling)
10 mangould (sapling)

Weapons:
Iron Knife x 1 (4 crumbits)
Stone Axe x 3 (2 crumbits)
Stone Shovel x 1 (2 crumbits)
Steel Hooked Chains x 2 (Equipped by Guards, 8 crumbits each)

Guards:
Two Chain-Hook Users

Merchants:
Kori (Miscellaneous Goods)
Ogot (Building Materials)

Stockpile:
323 branches (1 crumbit for 4 branches)
1 deer meat (7 crumbits each)
8 rabbit meat (2 crumbits each)
7 fish meat (2 crumbits each)
3 jar of milk (4 crumbits each)
4 loincloths (1 crumbit each)
191 stone

Buildings:
1 stone house (with basement)
1 shrine
1 palisade

Blessings:

Devoted Wolfpack: Rimewulf’s followers can transform into wolves at night, granting faster movement, enhanced senses and combat strength.

Arara’s Shade: Your people can endure heat that would normally cause heatstrokes. A common blessing for desert-dwellers and those who wish to endure drought.

Curses:

Marked By The Signet: The Signet will never stop sending scouts.
07-06-2017, 04:11 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Arcanuse
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#62
 

Online
Posts: 496
Joined: Dec 2016
Hm. I have no real opinion on which we should go to, beyond avoiding the meat box. Given the name and that ghouls come out its a safe guess that it produces the things.

Judging by the name, the God Box might have something related to the deities. but if that's the case, it must be well protected.

Now the plant box sounds promising, as it could contain all sorts of useful plants (and a plethora of wood to boot.) Potential threats might include modified wildlife and toxins, as a guess.

The brain box, now that one has my attention. It could contain all sorts of information, although without a means of sorting it could take a while, even in the unlikely event it is unguarded.

Whatever is chosen, I feel the scouting party should avoid entering the box, even if it seems safe. Especially if it seems safe. That said, marking the location of any entrance for future reference would be advisable.

Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
07-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wiltingMyosotis
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#63
Too Busy Reading

Offline
Posts: 324
Joined: Apr 2016
Brain box, i think, would be ideal to go to.

Plant box would be good for raititons!

“Remember when we were part of something else?”
07-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Lordlyhour
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#64
 

Offline
Posts: 98
Joined: Jun 2013
Australia
Sounds like we Might maybe want to take whatever it is that is in the Brain Box and Glue it into the God Box, Given we know of a God who's Brain was stolen
Are we able to build a second shrine at all? IF not, then I'd suggest we work on making our walls stronger (and possibly, at night, using our Diggy Diggy Wolf Paws to extend our Underground shelter. HArder for Invaders to get inside a wolf sized hole.) Other than that, Do some Sacrificing to the God of Dog and the God of Burnination. Also, this might just be me being a paranoid, but. Maybe Lady Flightypants might should have to make Sigil of Courage. Compassion is one thing, but welcoming someone into your fold who may well be a spy is not the brainiest possible thing. Her Stolen Note Could be a trap, for all we know.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM by Lordlyhour.)
07-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Wessolf27
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#65
 

Offline
Posts: 56
Joined: May 2016
I'd be wary about going to get the Brain Box first. I have a feeling that the Hiramis fellow mentioned by the Dice Shack might be there. I think it would be better to go to the Plant Box or the God Box first.

Also, supporting the idea of creating underground shelters.
07-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
LoverIan
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#66
 

Offline
Posts: 357
Joined: Nov 2015
>God Box

[Image: egg003.png?raw=1][Image: egg001.png?raw=1][Image: egg008.png?raw=1][Image: egg009.png?raw=1]
07-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
smuchmuch
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#67
 

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 2016
Honestly all boxes seem clearly supernatural and linked to the Signet in some way sinc they were listed on one of their document (and one of the, the onemaking ghoul at ast was likely made by them so it'd make sense the others would be as well), so they are all potentialy dangerous.

1) The meat box is the most 'obvious' both in fnction and level of danger.
Lots of ghouls are bad, ad our people arevery unlikely to be ready for such a danger?
So I agree we should ster clear of it. For now
However, there are a few things to consider:
  • One: even left alone, it's a long term danger as well. The more ghouls it produces, the more will eventualy wander near our village. It jsut takes one to make its alarm call and call moe of it's firends and refugeville will become ghoulallyoucaneatbuffet town. The earlier we can take this thing out one way or another, the better.
  • Two: This box has to make these ghoul out of /something likely.so that mean either some meat (good for food reserves) or people to free

2)The plant box seems to have absorbed all plants of an entrie forest into itself
We have no idea what could be the dangers of it. it could be guarded. It could absorb any limal aproaching it and compress into it's mass.
The most likely 'reward' would be lots of wood. Which would be /great for building. Also maybe we could get lots of plants and seeds from it.

3)now the god box and the brain box... these to ae pretty mysterious.
We can sooort of infer tht the god box has sometign to do with deities (well duh, it's int he name.) and the brin box with knowlege and/or mind butwhat exactly hell if we can know.
However i there's one thing i learned from Mayu's other adventures, it's that anything that look like a brain is somthig you should steer clear off. (PS: You should really update in AOD one of these days)
Also that empty town and that rotten egg tents on the way do NOT inspire confidence, but still we'll will have to go and explore them eventualy.

So plant box and god box are my favorite choices there.

On an unrelated matter i also would like to start adressing the topic of food:
For now we have plenty of meat (but unconsumed meat rot sooner or later if it's not smoked, salted or frozen in some way.) and a decent source from hunting and fishing but that on't last forever. Especialy since it seems all the Signet project and expriment does seem to complelty destroy the environement sooner or later...

It would be nice of some of our villager could try not imediatly slaughtering the rabbits when they catch them. There are not a lot of trees but grass seems still pretty plentifull so easy to keepand breed some in some cages.

We should also smoke or Jerk some of the meat we have over fire. Making a smoking rack.
Eventualy even maybe a full on smokehouse (it could double as an altar for that dead fire god..)

And plant some of those tapioca sapling

Quote:Are we able to build a second shrine at all?

They're made of crystal (i assume they need to be made of that toprocure a god's blessing otherwise anyone could make one and they wouldn't be worth anything). So most likely we'll have to wait for Kori to procure another for sale or find another for now.
That said the abandoned city near the god box might have one that uld be salvaged perhaps ?

Come to think of it the abandned city mightcntain tools as well, showvels and hoes would be great to keep digging that underground basement and start agriculture (even has a waolf there's only so much one can dig with their own h.. paws) but really anything that could be salvaged would be great.
(hell eventualy int he future, it's that much cnstruction material and stone that could etaken too, but tht's for much later

So abandoned city to explore an that put us near the god box
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2017, 11:22 PM by smuchmuch.)
07-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#68
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Offline
Posts: 3,559
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
God Box sounds cool. And the Gods have been pretty swell to us so far.

Speaking of which, burning corpses as a sacrifice to Arara granted us resistance to heat. Perhaps burning a building would provide a similar resistance to our wooden structures?

If this is the case, build 2 watchtowers. One might serve as a home for Aello, the other, after the work is complete we light on fire as a sacrifice to Arara.

If the scholar says that won't work though, then just build the one.

Oh try and make some torches and furniture too.

We have a couple of days left to get enough money to buy some stone, but right now a good fire would wreck our defenses.
07-12-2017, 02:16 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Mayu_Zane
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#69
 

Offline
Posts: 138
Joined: Jun 2016
(07-11-2017, 01:51 PM)LoverIan Wrote: >God Box

The two brave explorers head out North into the dark night, while the rest of the villagers expand and refine the basement. If The Signet have eyes in the sky, then they will live in the soil. Better to live like moles than to be slaves again.

Your soul accompanies the explorers. You want to see what lies beyond these small borders. The explorers make a mental map of their journey. They find a pond covered in rotting dead chickens and a pile of skulls on their way to the mossy town.

[Image: hNXohoq.jpg]

Hours pass, and they reach the moss-covered town. There is a gigantic, rune-covered cube in the center.

The two wolves sniff the air; there is no living animal or person nearby. Just moss. Lots and lots of moss. There is a faint smell of dried beef and old musty books. There is also the smell of crude, black oil.

They can hear something creaking as well. It sounds like a rusty piece of metal being blown in the wind. A creaky door or gate, perhaps.

What should these brave explorers do first?

- Get closer to the God Box.

- Search for books.

- Search for dried beef.

- Investigate the source of the oil smell.

- Investigate the creaking noise.

- Run home for now and report.

- Something else.

>_
07-16-2017, 03:36 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
skeleton
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#70
Snail Bone

Offline
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 2017
Bone Pit
Check out this "God Box".
What could possibly go wrong?
07-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
smuchmuch
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#71
 

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 2016
... Oh, okaaayy. That map put thins in perspective a bit. When you said plant didn't grow, I didn't think yu ere beng /that literal. I though thing were mostly like a prairie or a clear savana where tree and bushes are uncommon but at least grass can grow, not a completly desert wasteland around an out of place perfect square of vegetation...
No wonder even wood is at a premium

Well if the wood box absorbed a forest not too far, it means that deseert doesn't go on forever, tho. (would explain how a dear and rabits manage to get to our square, because those are not desert dwelling species)

Also kind of worried that the reason this bit where the house is was spared by the signet on purpose as a trap. ... In fact they do send scout regularly,... did they set an intentional 'human preserve' as part of one of their (previous ? let's hope so) experiment ? ...

... Welp. Guess that's a worry for another day, still beats starvation for our people for now.

---------------------

Anyhow the abandoned city and the god box

First observation; Despite plants not growing around, the city is full of vines, no way to know if it is a good or bad sign but better to be on the look out.

Second: We need all the food, books, crumbits and tools we can get our hands on. Even metalic or hard stone things cold be grreat as they can be used as tools. Since it's only two explorators and they are in wolf form they won't be able to bring much (unless they brough some kinda bag) but at leas anything they can spot for future slavaging helps.

For now go look for any of those tings and bring them all in a plce you'll be able to find thm later if another trip is necessary.

3) The god box, the rusty grate noise and the oil smell aren't going anywhere so they can wait a bit.
.... And if they do GO somewhere somehow then I'd say even more extreme cautionis requredbefoe checking them out.
07-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Wessolf27
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#72
 

Offline
Posts: 56
Joined: May 2016
>Investigate the area, don't take anything yet as this is a scouting mission, and we don't have anything that we can use to carry things. Get as close as possible to the God Box, but the moment something feels off or strange, take flight. Do not trust what is beyond the borders of Refugeville.
07-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Mayu_Zane
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#73
 

Offline
Posts: 138
Joined: Jun 2016
(07-16-2017, 02:55 PM)Wessolf27 Wrote: >Investigate the area, don't take anything yet as this is a scouting mission, and we don't have anything that we can use to carry things. Get as close as possible to the God Box, but the moment something feels off or strange, take flight. Do not trust what is beyond the borders of Refugeville.

The explorers spend an hour searching through the town. They find a library, some old houses, and a small forge of some kind.

The library has over a hundred books and a moss-covered skeleton of its deceased librarian. The old houses are uninhabited and sparsely-furnished, with only moss residing within. The small forge contains a creaking pinwheel, left to turn in the wind. There are a lot of tools and iron ingots lying about. There’s also oil in one of the forge’s pots.

[Image: zynFkqW.jpg]

The explorers dub this town ‘Mosstown’, for fairly obvious reasons.

They then approach the God Box… and stop. They don’t smell or hear anything, and yet they can sense…

Movement.

The two explorers focus their eyes, and they realize that something is making footprints in the moss. Invisible. Odorless. And utterly silent.

It has to be a monster created by the Signet. From its steps, it’s some sort of three-legged being. The duo decide to continue observing, and they soon discover that the moss is what feeds this invisible guard. They also realize that there a LOT of dead bodies almost completely covered in the moss, all of them with large puncture wounds. None of them manage to even touch the God Box.

With knowledge of this frightening creature, the two explorers head back to Refugeville.

They reach the village, thankfully still standing. The people there welcome the two explorers, and listen to their report. After they finish, the villagers discuss amongst themselves about what to do. They ultimately choose to sleep on it first, and make a decision in the morning. It is past midnight, after all.

They also informed the two wolf-scouts that their winged friend was able to draw the Sigil of Courage:

[Image: Qs7v72A.jpg]

Nobody knows why this image makes the Signet angry. Anyone who is seen drawing or bearing this symbol is immediately attacked by the Signet’s agents. It is not unusual for an entire family under the Signet’s rule to be destroyed just for having a tiny copy of the sigil in their house.

As your people retire for the night, you stay vigilant, but even a ghost can lose focus. For the first time since your sacrifice, you dream.

You dream of meeting someone. You can’t see who it is. They speak to you, in an unnervingly polite tone:

???: “We regret to inform you that the God Box is not open to the public.”

A feminine voice.

You ask: Who are you?

???: “Please forward any complaints or inquiries to the Signet and we will reply as soon as we are able.”

Is this… an agent of the Signet? How is she able to talk to you like this?

???: “Any trespassers will be executed immediately, in accordance to the law. Death, injury or loss of property may occur. We thank you for your diligence and obedience. Now please enjoy this new day, courtesy of the Signet.”

The sun rises, and you awaken from your strange dream, confused. What was that all about?

Your people awaken, and a new refugee arrives.

[Image: NQRsUhW.jpg]

He comes bearing dried meats. The meat is more than a week old, but still edible. He says they’re called ‘beef jerky’. Your people welcome the man into the village.

The people enjoy their breakfast. 5 pieces of fish meat and 5 pieces of rabbit meat are consumed.

The morning market, which right now consists of Kori and Ogot, begins. Ogot reminds your people of his prices:

10 clay bricks = 2 crumbits
30 branches = 1 crumbit
10 stones = 1 crumbit

He also tells the people what they can build with his material, performing his rehearsed pitch:

Quote:Stake Trap = 1 branch
A trap that can be hidden in the ground, it will seriously ruin the leg of anyone unfortunate enough to step on it.

Stone Wall = 300 stones
An eight-foot stone wall surrounding the settlement, with stairs.

Brick Wall = 300 clay bricks
An eight-foot brick wall surrounding the stone house, with stairs. Stronger than the stone wall.

Watch Tower = 50 branches
A ten-foot tower with a roof, helpful for seeing incoming threats.

(Underground)

Defensible Tunnel Door = 40 branches

Tunnel Trap = 1 branch
A sharp stick pointing straight up. Stepping on this will ruin someone’s foot.

(Furniture)

Table = 20 branches
Chair = 10 branches
Torch = 2 branches

(Tools)

Stone Hammer = 1 stone, 1 branch
Stone Shovel = 1 stone, 1 branch
Stone Axe = 1 stone, 1 branch

Kori also offers a few items for sale:

Fishing Trap (10 crumbits): Requires a piece of meat as bait, but can catch up to 10 fish every day in the river.

Construction Manual (5 crumbits): Has detailed plans and instructions on how to make buildings, like laboratories, forges, and stone towers. Even includes a chapter on building a ballista using easily-found materials.

Leather Bag (8 crumbits): Allows explorers to bring items with them, as well as bring items home. It’s designed to let even wolves carry it comfortably. Kori made this herself.

4 Treated Bandages (1 crumbit each): Bandages that have been soaked with medicine to speed up heals from cuts.

Acid Jar (7 crumbits): A jar full of liquid that will melt anything metal. Extremely useful against armored opponents and locks.

What should the settlers buy and sell?

>_

Population: 10 out of 18 shelter spaces

Wealth: 14 crumbits

Animals:
1 Dog (Relief)
2 Cows (Bilin, Daina)

Plants:
12 tapioca (sapling)
10 mangould (sapling)

Weapons:
Iron Knife x 1 (4 crumbits)
Stone Axe x 3 (2 crumbits)
Stone Shovel x 1 (2 crumbits)
Steel Hooked Chains x 2 (Equipped by Guards, 8 crumbits each)

Guards:
Two Chain-Hook Users

Merchants:
Kori (Miscellaneous Goods)
Ogot (Building Materials)

Stockpile:
323 branches (1 crumbit for 4 branches)
8 beef jerky (5 crumbits each)
1 deer meat (7 crumbits each)
3 rabbit meat (2 crumbits each)
2 fish meat (2 crumbits each)
3 jar of milk (4 crumbits each)
4 loincloths (1 crumbit each)
191 stone

Buildings:
1 stone house (with basement)
1 shrine
1 palisade

Blessings:

Devoted Wolfpack: Rimewulf’s followers can transform into wolves at night, granting faster movement, enhanced senses and combat strength.

Arara’s Shade: Your people can endure heat that would normally cause heatstrokes. A common blessing for desert-dwellers and those who wish to endure drought.

Curses:

Marked By The Signet: The Signet will never stop sending scouts.
07-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Arcanuse
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#74
 

Online
Posts: 496
Joined: Dec 2016
Ooooooh. All of Kori's merch sounds good.
In particular, I really want that construction manual...
But the leather bag sounds like a must have, since, y'know. easier time getting things back and forth from wherever.

>Buy Leather Bag.

Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
07-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
 RE: REFUGEVILLE
#75
like a wild, sexy Dick Cheney

Offline
Posts: 3,559
Joined: Nov 2011
Texas
This is why we have been selling axes.

Sell 2 axes and get the construction book. We will have enough left over to get the leather bag.

Could we buy that book immediately and then see what other projects we could work on today?
07-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply