Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Swamped Talk
Dragon Fogel
 RE: Swamped Talk
The Goddamn Pacman

In general I've been less concerned with the physical aspects of the greblings than with the societal space they occupy, so I haven't really given that much thought.

Or, to put it another way:
Its a mastery
11-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
btp
word juggleryer

Texas
Shorty is as short as a grebling???

One of the nice things about swamped is its recton-ability, but it's a little jarring to realize an established character has had claws and a tail this entire time.

We know there are at least 2 races in this world, but whose to say there aren't more? Who's say that these species of sentients haven't already been introduced but it was never mentioned because the world of swamped isn't concerned with petty details like what kinds of appendages you were born with, you tail-hater.

I guess the question is, DF, are humans the most common race in the swamp-verse, or is this more of a zootopia thing?

(If it's the former, I call dibs on the "Swamped (but it's zootopia)" adventure)
01-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

I vaguely recall saying that greblings are about two-thirds of average human height. But since I don't actually keep notes I might be misremembering that.

There's a lot I haven't decided on about this world, but humans are definitely dominant. (At least on the continent we've been focused on; who knows what it's like on the side of the world Stinger hails from?) This is even more true in the swamp; they're about the only ones willing to put up with it at all.

It's also worth noting that Crosswinds is the only grebling desperate enough to flee to the swamp. That's not to say there aren't others facing more trouble; just that they weren't willing to brave the swamp. For whatever reason, Crosswinds was. There are no greblings in the Bogknights, either.
01-06-2018, 04:57 AM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

Although I have to admit, after I typed that last sentence I had a mental image of Captain Long's introduction scene with him as a grebling, and that's pretty wonderful.
01-06-2018, 04:59 AM
btp
word juggleryer

Texas
Sorry DF! I called dibs!

Grebling Long is my IP now. Poor rabbit-man Marshall is going to have a rough time making it in the waterbuffalo- dominated Bogknights, but maybe with the help of Actually-A-Crow Corvus they'll crack this case and earn that big promotion.
01-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

It's interesting when you think back on your own work and notice a theme you hadn't consciously intended but it's all over the place.

I just realized that there's this recurring pattern of "character tries to act like a badass and take on a problem by themselves, which generally makes things worse even if it resolves the immediate issue".

See: Dean's midnight run for the fly eggs, Long and Rider's duel, Rider trying to intimidate the Dune Wanderers, Long offering himself as a hostage. That's just off the top of my head.

I guess what I'm saying is, look forward to more of this now that I'm aware of it.
01-09-2018, 06:24 PM
btp
word juggleryer

Texas
One of the hallmarks of the story is that no character is superhuman. Rider is larger than life and Lisa Black is a master of games, but they all make mistakes when we push them into crazy situations. You've done a pretty consistent job of wrangling back wild suggestions, or at least giving them clear negative consequences.

What are some other themes you've found?
01-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Dragon Fogel
The Goddamn Pacman

Well, the most obvious one is "war is hell". This is something that I've noticed coming up a lot in my writing, even though I have no actual experience of any sort with the military. If I were to guess, I'd say it probably comes from becoming politically aware around the time of George W. Bush's administration invading Iraq.

It's pretty straightforward to see how this is a theme in Swamped. There's these two sides fighting over stuff that the actual grunts barely even know about, in a deadly swamp, and on some level they're not even really enemies. They're just fighting each other because that's what they're expected to do.

The casualty rate isn't even at all high at this point, and yet the fighting itself is still clearly exacting a toll on everyone involved. Even the people who usually aren't on the front lines.
01-10-2018, 08:03 AM