Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Bloom (test run thing)
Author Message
Tuesbirdy
 Bloom (test run thing)
#1

Offline
Posts: 662
Joined: Apr 2017
Spoiler: Author's Note
This is a test run for something potentially bigger. Random events/luck plays a large part, so I want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head before anyone gets too invested.

The test ends after one in-game week. If all goes well, the events of this adventure become background canon to a more involved thing; if it doesn't, I overestimated my ability to run an adventure by RNG but we all had fun regardless.

Onward!

[Image: AcjMYXT.png]

DAY 0.

Your name is MAGNOLIA. Your title is ORACLE. You are 21 YEARS OLD, and you have never left the temple grounds.

In a few hours, you and your retinue will board an airship—an airship!—for the fishing town 'Orona'. There, you'll relieve the elderly Oracle Genevieve of her duties, introduce yourself to the town's guardian deity, and begin acclimating yourself to your new life.

First, though, some self-reflection is in order.

List these attributes in order from your best to your worst:
Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, Spiritual


>_
06-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Schazer
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#2
Patron Saint of Normcore

Offline
Posts: 6,785
Joined: Jul 2011
Ōtautahi
Physical>Intellectual>Spiritual>Emotional
06-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wiltingMyosotis
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#3
Too Busy Reading

Offline
Posts: 507
Joined: Apr 2016
Intellectual, Spiritual, Emotional, Physical.
06-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Myeth
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#4
Optimistic screeching

Offline
Posts: 1,213
Joined: Mar 2017
U+1F1F6, U+1F1E6
Emotional, Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual

[Image: honkit.png][Image: rhkLEqr.png][Image: uvSOXIR.png][Image: x4wbM2I.png]

Me army of waddlers
06-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
bigro
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#5
Please explain

Offline
Posts: 2,083
Joined: Dec 2012
I have the power of god
Physical > Emotional > Spiritual > Intellectual

one of these days ill just stick to an image host that wont fucking die immediately
06-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
BreadProduct
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#6

Offline
Posts: 279
Joined: Jan 2013
(06-01-2017, 12:16 PM)Myeth Wrote: Emotional, Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual

This sounds like fun
06-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
The One Guy
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#7

Offline
Posts: 106
Joined: Apr 2016
(06-01-2017, 11:59 AM)wiltingMyosotis Wrote: Intellectual, Spiritual, Emotional, Physical.

I second this one.
06-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#8

Offline
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 2016
Physical>Intellectual>Spiritual>Emotional

Seconding this

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
06-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#9

Offline
Posts: 657
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>Intellectual, Spiritual, Physical, Emotional

>Emotion is your dump stat.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017, 06:40 PM by typeandkey.)
06-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Tuesbirdy
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#10

Offline
Posts: 662
Joined: Apr 2017
Spoiler :
Google broke the 3-way tie for me
[Image: image.png]

You have selected:
Intellectual > Spiritual > Emotional > Physical


During your formative years, your mentors considered you quicker-minded than most other acolytes. You spent more time pursuing your interests in solitude than playing with fellow children. (+2 to INT rolls)

Your aptitude for metaphysics—the most important quality for an Oracle—proved impressive as well. Everyone at the temple has some natural inclination, but even the toughest training exercises rarely posed problems for you. (+1 to SPR rolls)

Emotional matters are another beast. You struggle with handling emotionally-charged situations, reading others' moods, and corralling your feelings. People look to you for advice—not comfort. You suspect this will apply in Orona. (+0 to EMT rolls)

Physically, you're unremarkable. Although the temple enforces a balanced diet and exercise routine, by Oracle standards, you're out of shape. One of your retainers can punch a rot-bear in the throat. She terrifies you. (-1 to PHY rolls)


Throughout the course of an Oracle's training, her aesthetic is strictly controlled. You wear your hair partway down your back, untouched by dyes or irons, and you're forbidden from using cosmetics.

Now that you're free of the temple's clutches, these rules no longer apply.

Did you cut your hair?
Do you wear makeup?

>_
06-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#11

Offline
Posts: 657
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>No to the hair, but yes to the make up. Not very well applied, though.
06-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
ICan'tGiveCredit
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#12
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

Offline
Posts: 3,800
Joined: Mar 2013
The deepest, most petrifying depths of your local Wal-Mart
hair's fine, you need a makeover though

"A day without a laugh is a day wasted."
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png][Image: Sm02KV6.png]
06-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Sunspider
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#13

Offline
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 2017
Midwestern US
For now, you ought to keep it mostly as-is. You're still technically on official Oracular Business, after all! And heck, you've never left the temple, and have no clue what's even fashionable. Still, you're more than a little tempted to experiment. Maybe you could quietly pester one of the folks in your retinue for help? Someone who looks to have a bit of a rebellious streak... or at least someone who looks like they'd be sympathetic to your situation.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017, 10:04 PM by Sunspider.)
06-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wiltingMyosotis
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#14
Too Busy Reading

Offline
Posts: 507
Joined: Apr 2016
(06-01-2017, 10:04 PM)Solifuge Wrote: For now, you ought to keep it mostly as-is. You're still technically on official Oracular Business, after all! And heck, you've never left the temple, and have no clue what's even fashionable. Still, you're more than a little tempted to experiment. Maybe you could quietly pester one of the folks in your retinue for help? Someone who looks to have a bit of a rebellious streak... or at least someone who looks like they'd be sympathetic to your situation.
Seconding!
06-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Myeth
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#15
Optimistic screeching

Offline
Posts: 1,213
Joined: Mar 2017
U+1F1F6, U+1F1E6
Cut aLL your hair off confuse people

[Image: honkit.png][Image: rhkLEqr.png][Image: uvSOXIR.png][Image: x4wbM2I.png]

Me army of waddlers
06-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Tuesbirdy
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#16

Offline
Posts: 662
Joined: Apr 2017
You keep your hair untouched. With so little exposure to mainstream culture, you don't think you're ready to commit to a new style. After all, the residents of Orona will judge you at first glance—that's how people are in the wider world, you're told.

Cosmetics are another matter. Drawn to the playful impermanence of makeup, you consider asking someone in your entourage to help you experiment. You've only seen two of them wearing makeup:

[Image: OVzn7mL.png]

Marta is your new assistant. She was an acolyte too, before some adolescent crisis misaligned her life trajectory. She's soft-spoken and eager to please. Although she lives on temple grounds, Marta's technically a civilian now, and it shows through her familiarity with cosmetics and fashion.

Allyn, for now, is just an acquaintance. She's Oracle Genevieve's niece, come from Orona to meet her aunt's replacement. Her aesthetic isn't quite so delicate as Marta's, but you imagine she knows her way around a makeup kit.

You leave for the skyport in an hour. Who will you ask for assistance?

>_
06-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#17

Offline
Posts: 657
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>Have Allyn assist you. She seems to be brash and you will need a BOLD makeup job to make a BOLD statement. That's the only thing people respect nowadays.
06-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wiltingMyosotis
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#18
Too Busy Reading

Offline
Posts: 507
Joined: Apr 2016
> Marta! You're going to be(? Forgive me if i misunderstood) with her anyways, you might as well ask her! She can assist you on the way.
06-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Zephyr Nepres
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#19
nerd lord supreme

Offline
Posts: 275
Joined: Jun 2016
Wollongong, Australia
> Allyn. You want to get to know her better.

Does really cute mice people, vibrant characters/backgrounds and the most adorable art style you've ever seen interest you? Read Great Haven.

Have you ever wanted to save a bunch of kids from dying horribly in a nightmare dreamscape? Read Lucidstuck
06-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
The One Guy
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#20

Offline
Posts: 106
Joined: Apr 2016
> Marta. You don't want to take things too far, at least for now.
06-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Sunspider
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#21

Offline
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 2017
Midwestern US
Marta. As much as getting to know Allyn could help you learn more about Orona, and her aunt/the soon-to-be-former Oracle... it's probably best to get to know your Assistant first. Besides, she seems nice. You can trust her, right?
06-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
ICan'tGiveCredit
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#22
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

Offline
Posts: 3,800
Joined: Mar 2013
The deepest, most petrifying depths of your local Wal-Mart
>martaaa

"A day without a laugh is a day wasted."
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png][Image: Sm02KV6.png]
06-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Reyweld
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#23
Thread Spinner

Offline
Posts: 4,939
Joined: Dec 2014
Demi-Canadian
>Marta

Sig:
Spoiler :
(03-02-2015, 02:07 AM)Papers Wrote: i don't know what i expected from reyweld's new hawkspace thread
(06-02-2016, 04:16 AM)Schazer Wrote: Tokyo could kick your scrawny ass
(11-10-2017, 06:39 PM)Myeth Wrote: reach for the stars
And then annihilate them as a powermove
06-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Tuesbirdy
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#24

Offline
Posts: 662
Joined: Apr 2017
You've chosen to spend time with Marta.


[Image: 001.png?dl=0]

You take advantage of your newly-mastered telepathy to summon her from... wherever. You're not sure what Marta does when she isn't occupied with temple business.

Minutes later, you hear a knock on the door frame. "Come in," you reply, and turn towards it in your seat.

[Image: 002.png?dl=0]

What will you say?

>_
06-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Bloom (test run thing)
#25

Offline
Posts: 657
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>Magnolia: "The awkward, flailing pincers I have instead of functioning hands are making life difficult again. Please assist me with looking like anything other than an unrefined hobo."

>Marta: ". . . Eloquent as always. I'll fetch the makeup kit."
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2017, 11:18 AM by typeandkey.)
06-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply