Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
Author Message
typeandkey
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 682
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>Ah, I see. You're upset because you've got nobody. Thank you, thank you. I've got a million of 'em.
>Well, don't you worry about a thing. Considering where we are, I think we can get to the heart of the problem.
>Oh yes, I'd love a glass of blood. Do you have any oil or hydraulic fluid to mix into it? Back home we had a drink called the Laughing Ladle. It was blood mixed with sea snake bile with the tooth of a widow dissolved in it. It goes well with a steak dinner, so I'm told. As for not enjoying the suffering of mortals? What would ever give you a presumptuous notion like that. You're not the only one with much at steak here.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017, 08:34 PM by typeandkey.)
09-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wiltingMyosotis
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
Too Busy Reading

Offline
Posts: 539
Joined: Apr 2016
> Why can't we be civil about this, come on

[Image: IMG_6374.png][Image: IMG_6375.png][Image: IMG_6377.png]
09-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
NotABear
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Dec 2011
[VANTA] considers that for-

'Nah. That's boring. Time consuming. You aren't musers, so I get nothing out of the deal. Also I didn't lose? The Meddler did something. I'm not sure what, though. That part has been nagging me, admittedly. I don't suppose you know what the Meddler- Empty's deal is? Yes? No? Yes? Probably not. I was sort of hoping the answer would be yes, but it really couldn't be or you probably wouldn't be so easy to steal.'

[VANTA] throws it's arms up.

'And of course I'm upset I have no body. It kinda hurt, you know? A muse, no matter what our purpose or origin. . . We live to serve. We do our duty. We fulfill the wishes of our muser and then we get what we were promised. . .'

[VANTA] listens to the description of the drink and- makes a quiet gagging noise inside it's hood as it settles back down into it's seat.

'That's weird. You're weird. You're all weird. Just little ghosts from another time, another age, another place. . . I suspect I could guess where you come from, but that information doesn't really help me, because any body you left behind is probably just bones by now. . . Although I guess I can't be choosy, all things considered. All I have to say on the matter is that I did what Alice asked. I was her Nothingness. She got everything she asked for- and all I wanted was her body. It's not like she was going to use it. So we were going to trade.'

Nothingness sighs, and the dreary, disgusting scenery fades away, leaving the endless expanse of Nothingness' voidspace to remain.

'You're right. I was letting those emotions get the best of me. Shouldn't have pulled you all the way out here. That was rude of me. I'll send you back now. Tell Alice I say hello. I'll give her a week to get her affairs in order, do whatever she needs to do, then surrender her body to me like we promised. Or she can run. I'll simply find her again. Ask her what happened to the people from the island. Last time, she didn't have anything to lose. Now she has friends.'

Nothingness fades into the background of their own void-



Reconnecting to main story.

.

. .

. . .

. . . Connected

Available Mindspaces:
[] "Katie"
[] Judith "Jude" Architonnerre
[] "Suit"
[] "Empty"
09-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
gloomyMoron
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
That Grouchy Ol' Curmudgeon

Offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug 2017
When we last left, Jude was being treated for a small case of the "Almost Dyings", so maybe we should start with Katie. Melonspa
09-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 682
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>To Suit: "Hey, guy! What's up? What'd I miss?" *takes a long, noisy sip of a drink*
>[Lie]You know, Alice is really sensitive about her nose. If you wanted to distract her to get the upper hand, you could make fun of how big it is.
09-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
wiltingMyosotis
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
Too Busy Reading

Offline
Posts: 539
Joined: Apr 2016
> Let's see what empty thinks of this mess!

[Image: IMG_6374.png][Image: IMG_6375.png][Image: IMG_6377.png]
09-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
A-cha
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 2017
[X] "Empty"

> Empty, we saw Nothingness. Holy shrimp-cakes. What did you do to piss him off? He was suppose to have Alice's body? What the heck, my dude?
09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
NotABear
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Dec 2011
Spoiler :
Katie Wrote:Princeling. . .
Seb Wrote:Yes, My love?
Katie Wrote:How did you discover my weakness?
Seb Wrote:I can tell when someone is lying, remember? No amount of bravado or... anger... or forced hate can throw off my nose. I catch all untruths.
Katie Wrote:Even your own?
Sebastian leaned against a wall and looked up. The sky was dark, and the smell of rain was a gentle threat being blown about on the wind. He could hear rumbling in the distance, and was no longer sure if it was the sounds of thunder, or the sounds of fighting.
Spoiler :
Seb Wrote:Until recently, I had been... blind to my own failings. I think maybe we all have. It's really easy to get tangled up in your own head when you spend so much time alone with your dark thoughts.
Katie Wrote:Recently, Hm? How recently?
Seb Wrote:Quite recently. I could probably trace it back to a particular event, but I'm not sure if that's really-
Katie Wrote:A particular Event? This 'Alice von Vaugen', if that's who she actually is, you mean. Do you... like her?
Seb Wrote:. . .You noticed too, huh? Something off about her. Her story, it feels... rehearsed. But not by her. . .
Katie Wrote:You didn't answer my question, Princeling. Have you always been so good at dodging subjects? How long have you been deceiving your friends?
Katie watched Seb walk. He refused to let her help him- which was stupid for so many reasons- But she acquiesced. How could she not? She wondered if this would ever wear off, this feeling. She wondered if he had been worming his way into their minds and hearts this entire time, just for these cases.

She wondered if he would bleed out before they got to where they were headed. He was losing a great deal of it- but he was mumbling something about the pain keeping him 'real'. He was mumbling a lot of things. She wasn't sure if he knew how much he was saying in-between their conversations.
Spoiler :
Seb Wrote:I think we all like her. I think that is her skill. I don't think she knows it, but I believe it makes more sense than some of the alternatives I have considered.
Katie Wrote:>I< think you will find that I am not enamored with that young lady like some of you.
Seb Wrote:Well, Judy already was already a lost cause. That woman needs to... take a vacation. Some self care time. Earl, I must admit, is a bit surprising. The last time he took so much interest in someone- I think he's interested in her story. Maybe he'll start writing his own works again.
Katie Wrote:You still did not answer my question, Sebastian Merriweather. I can still shoot you at any time, you know.
Seb Wrote:Katherine... It does not matter how I feel about Miss Vaugen. There is only one truth regarding my heart, now.
Sebastian looked over his shoulder at Katie. He smiled, and leaned on his sword-made-cane as he continued to hobble towards to swirling tower of clouds that had engulfed a portion of town.

Katie calmly drew her pistol, and aimed at Sebastian. Her aim wavered. The barrel of her pistol slid away from him. She grabbed her wrist and twisted it painfully, hauling her arm back towards him. She gritted her beak, and waited for the crack of the gunshot to shake her flimsy bones...

But her heart would not allow her to fire. She could probably manipulate the trajectory with the help of her Greed. . .

But she could not. Her arms dropped. She spat on the ground in his direction, as she began to follow him again, holstering her weapon.
Spoiler :
Katie Wrote:What is the point in having your heart if you give it freely? Things only have meaning when you take them from another... And to top it all off, you managed to steal my heart as payment. Mark my words, Princeling- I -WILL- have my revenge before this is all over... Through hellfire or brimstone, I will make you surrender to me.


Suit adjusted his tie. It didn't fit. Nothing fit. It was an annoying feeling, to always be uncomfortable in one's clothes. The shoulders were too small, the neck hung a little loosely if you looked too closely, the legs were a little long, and yet at the same time, adjusted incorrectly, making the lower half longer than the upper half...

And the clothes didn't fit well either. Heh.

His... 'opponents' lie before him, scattered and defeated. The dragon and the devil were tough, and clearly used to a life of fighting- but neither were prepared for him to actually fight for himself. He almost wasn't- He's been so used to using this Muse masquerading as a second skin...

Maybe he was getting old. Maybe he was letting his thoughts and feelings get in the way of his mission, but he lowered his arms. The blades of black energy dissolving and soaking into his 'skin'... He immediately turned his head and started to cough, black ichor pouring out of his mouth for a couple seconds.
Spoiler :
Dragon Wrote:I don't suppose it's too much to ask that you could just fucking die already?
Suit Wrote:Aha-*COUGH*-Ha ha... It's not, really. But I'm afraid I have to decline. I have things that I must do before I am done existing. It is for those reasons that I am not going to finish you off, as much as I would like to... Your muses would look much better on me, I think.
Dragon Wrote:Hssss... What ARE you...?
Suit Wrote:I think that is a question better suited to your friend, is it not? She invites destruction everywhere she goes. Her life is chaos. Those close to her keep getting hurt... and she's being hunted.
Devil Wrote:. . .By whom, sir?
Dragon Wrote:Qhen!
Suit Wrote:Hmmm...? Figured out that snarling won't get you anywhere?
Devil Wrote:At first, I thought you were egotistical. The way you stand, the way you look at us- the way you look DOWN on us... But that's just not how it is. Sure, you don't view us as equals, but not on a personal level... More like how we look at bugs. But unlike bugs, we are capable of learning, and asking questions... And you would just love to help us understand how little we know, wouldn't you?
Suit adjusted his tie again. He walks over to the devil, lying in a pool of their own blood, infused with the energies of the muse they were infected with. The dragon burned with a self-contained heat that kept the infection contained... but for how long?

He adjusted his tie again, and then grabbed his face and pulled at his skin, adjusting it on his bones, tightening it up, reforming his face to how it used to be. The look on these two's faces.
Spoiler :
Suit Wrote:Once upon a time, there was a young girl.
Dragon Wrote:Alice Von Vaugen.
Devil Wrote:And one day, she died. It's not like we don't know this story-
Suit Wrote:Ah- Let me finish. Do you know why she died?
Devil Wrote:. . .
Dragon Wrote:One of those beasts of yours killed her, right? When her home was destroyed. . .
Suit Wrote:Aha- Haha. My beasts? Those are not my beasts. I am merely borrowing them.
The dragon picked herself up, leaning on the devil. She clung to them closely. She was afraid. Not that he would harm either of them, but afraid for their safety all the same. She was trying to protect them. Suit made a note of that. He could use that against her later.
Spoiler :
Dragon Wrote:Whose beasts are those then...?
Suit Wrote:...Mmm. No. I don't think I'll tell you that. The answer will be so much more satisfying to me when you hear it straight from her own lips.
Dragon Wrote:Her...? But-
Suit reached out with a finger, and pressed it to the dragon's mouth. She went silent, and Suit noted the sudden surge of killing intent he detected from the devil. Fascinating. Cute. So willing to die for the other, but so unwilling to share their hearts. He smudged some blood off of the dragon's cheek, and watched as the thumb of his glove caught fire. He stood up and watched as it burned through to the skin, then kept on going, slowly engulfing his hand. He didn't really care for this muse anyway. He would get another one from his employer. Maybe another gender? Something not human? He considered his options absentmindedly.
Spoiler :
Suit Wrote:If she ever wakes up, that is. I'd say she's finally given up on this world. Maybe this is the last time we ever meet... but if she does awaken- let her know that she has a week. Then her debt shall be collected, once and for all.
The devil's face took on a complexion that made suit pause for a fraction of a moment. If they were to strike right now, with all of their might- they might actually kill him. He had exhausted this muse, and it was dying. One good blow would probably punch right through and shatter what was left of his body. Luckily for him, the dragon was clutching the devil so closely that there was no chance of that happening. Suit smiled at them, reached up to run his burning fingers along the brim of an invisible hat, bowed gently...

And vanished from reality.


Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Empty?
Empty Wrote:Yes, Alice?
Alice Wrote:Why is all of this happening? I thought the world was so. . .
Empty Wrote:Boring?
Alice Wrote:. . .
Alice wasn't here anymore. She was miles away, and years ago, on the edge of her island. Her home. She was young again, and the world was so big, and nothing was trying to eat her... or fight her... or... get to know her...
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:I liked my books- I LOVED my books. They were a window into a world I'd never get to experience. Full of danger and action and fear and love and sadness and-
Empty Wrote:Alice.
Alice Wrote:Don't tell me to calm down.
Empty Wrote:I wouldn't dream of it. I'm just trying to let you know that I'm here.
Empty sat on the edge of the island. They reached out and tapped Alice on the back of the hand.
Spoiler :
Empty Wrote:I am here. I am not going anywhere, you are not going anywhere. Just- Talk, and I shall listen.
Alice Wrote:. . .You promise?
Empty Wrote:I promise.
Alice Wrote:You promise never to leave?
Empty Wrote:. . .That's not how things work Alice. You know that. Besides- One day, you won't need me anymore.
Alice Wrote:N-No...
Alice suddenly hurled herself at Empty. Luckily there was no danger of either of them actually falling- but Empty still instinctively caught Alice and held her tightly. Empty thought of the things they had done. The things they've said. The lies they've told. Would now be a good time to tell Alice? That- monster. The Suit. The one who wears muses like people wear clothing... Surely They were none too far away... But-
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:I don't know how to deal with these feelings. I don't know how to deal with people. I don't know how...
Empty Wrote:. . .
Alice Wrote:I don't know what to tell Viss. I- I think I like her? But how can I tell? What are these feelings? What if I'm just getting swept up in her excitement? What if I'm just feeling something because I've never felt this way before? What do I say to Qhen? How do I get them to understand how I feel? I don't just want to be someone they protect because it's an obligation... And these new people- Sebastian seems like something is bothering him- and Earl is... Earl... and Katie scares me a little but she also seems like she's a really good friend to the others and... Uh... Judith. She sure is... interesting and- Are you laughing at me, Empty?
Empty Wrote:Ah- I... Yes. I just- That's what you're worried about? Your weird love triangle with Viss and Qhen, these new people you've met that seem to gravitate towards you? I thought you'd be worried about the monsters... Or how you've been knocked unconscious. Or that you're having some sort of episode.
Alice Wrote:...
Empty felt Alice squeeze tighter. Empty lifted an arm and gently- experimentally, began to pet Alice on the head. She sniffed quietly to herself. Empty watched her, silently, for a small eternity. Does she not understand? Does she not remember? She wasn't MEANT to remember but- Empty felt a twinge of regret. Perhaps things were unavoidable after all. Something would have to be done. Even if pain is forgotten, it cannot be erased. Eventually, things would need to be settled-
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:. . .Was saving me a mistake? Am I causing others trouble? Am I the source of their pain? Their strife? Their sadness and hate? Have I caused them harm by being here?
Empty Wrote:Alice...
Alice Wrote:You always sound so sad. So distant...
Empty Wrote:Alice- Truly, even if you feel that way, I cannot say-
Alice Wrote:But this is the first time... I've FELT it.
Empty Wrote:I-. . .
Alice Wrote:You're not here. You're not... ACTUALLY listening. You hear me, and you can comprehend it, and you can respond- and in a meaningful manner... But you're not here- and it hurts. Just like it hurts when Viss and Qhen don't pay attention to what I'm trying to say... Just like it hurts when I think about how much Qhen and Viss hurt themselves and each other... I don't like to feel like this- because I don't want you to think I'm being greedy or... something like that but- You said you would be here for me.
Empty Wrote:. . .
Alice Wrote:Please.
Empty turned, and pulled Alice into their arms. They sat there, and held them, and Alice just sat there, silently. Objectively, an eon passed. Alice sat there, and Empty listened. She didn't say anything anymore, but she didn't need to. They slowly settled against each other, until they were practically Empty Alice again- Empty could make out her feelings, her worries and thoughts, by listening to her breathe. Alice sat there until she began to calm down...
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:So the monsters are hunting me- but they clearly will not hesitate to harm anything or anybody else around me. Especially that one- Suit. But they are not the source of the monsters...
Alice sat up. She was back on the ship, in her cabin. She was- surrounded. Viss was laying beside her, Qhen was sitting on the other side of the bed, with their back turned to her. Katie... Seb, Judy and Earl were arranged around as well as they could be. She was thankful that this room was bigger than her room back home- Alice thought of home for a moment, and wondered how things were going there. Wondered if there would be anything to return to.
Spoiler :
Seb Wrote:You're the source of the monsters- Or rather, your darkness, split away from you- is the source of these monsters. Correct?
Alice Wrote:...Yes. I- I don't remember what happened, but I wronged them- my darkness... I did something to them- so they tried to kill me. Then Empty saved me. Somehow.
Qhen Wrote:. . .We set sail as soon as we could get everybody back to the ship. Seemed we couldn't leave without some people forcing their way on board, however.
Jude Wrote:Aw- Don't be like that. We're concerned for Alice, you know? And you two, too. You're real interesting. It would be a shame if something happened to you before we really got to know each other.
Qhen Wrote:. . .
Earl Wrote:What concerns me, is how we're going to get out of this. You know? You know? That 'thing' said that Alice had only week- and it's already been a few days.
Viss Wrote:. . .What does Aliss think we should do?
Alice Wrote:What do I think? . . .

[ ] "I think we fight."
[ ] "I think we run."
[ ] "Who said anything about we...?"
[ ] "I don't know. . ."
[ ] ". . ."

(minor edit: spellchecking is like, my 4th to 5th priority, to be fair. ' <';)
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2017, 04:46 AM by NotABear.)
12-20-2017, 04:27 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
gloomyMoron
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
That Grouchy Ol' Curmudgeon

Offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug 2017
> I don't know...

> ... but we need to figure it out. So, time for a vote?
12-20-2017, 04:50 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
A-cha
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 2017
You have to fight. How else are you going to stop them? They'll keep chasing you forever and ever until you give up or stop them! Fight!
12-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
gloomyMoron
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
That Grouchy Ol' Curmudgeon

Offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug 2017
I hate posting suggestions more than once in a thread but...

> Maybe... you should run... run to fight. To Imperial Sphere territory? Or whatever other country is big enough. Not to cower and hide, but to recoup... regroup. These things want a war, give them one. Get rest, knowledge, equipment. Run to Fight, not to hide.
12-23-2017, 11:33 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 682
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>Running and fighting go hand-in-hand. Cover fire for when you retreat. It's a real tactic, you can't prove it isn't.
12-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
NotABear
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Dec 2011
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:. . . I want to... fight. But I want to run away, as well. I think... I think we should take a vote.
Katie Wrote:*Skrwrk.* You are the captain of this 'ship', are you not? Make a decision and put us on our path.
Seb Wrote:I remind you, Darling, that some of us are not- 'welcome'- in the Imperial Sphere, and there are not many places I can think of to run that wouldn't likely get us in more trouble, or provide enough hiding spaces. . .
Jude Wrote:. . . 'darling'?
Earl Wrote:I wouldn't exactly enjoy going back into the imperial sphere, but I'm all for running away. Why bother fighting those things again? We can just hide somewhere, making sure nobody catches a glimpse of the Dead Prince. . .
Viss Wrote:I agree we should make a decision calmly, but I also agree that we do not have much time. We should already be putting space between us and the threat...
Qhen Wrote:. . .
Viss looked at Qhen, who just stared off into the distance, rubbing their chin, until a sharp elbow from Viss brings them back to the present.
Spoiler :
Qhen Wrote:Ow. What?
Viss Wrote:I don't know... say something comforting! Isn't that your job?
Qhen Wrote:...Since when was it my job to comfort Alice? I thought that was firmly in your wheelhouse.
Viss Wrote:Are you really choosing NOW to be mouthy with me, Fenrose?!
Qhen Wrote:I just don't know what you expect me to do. Alice is the Captain. I respect her decision above all others. If she says to stay and fight, then I'll stand between her and this 'darkness' until I can't stand any more. If she says to run, then I'll fly her to the edge of the Cloudsea and beyond. I couldn't care what these intruders think.
Jude Wrote:. . .Hmmph. I guess you really are just as stuffy as you look.
Qhen said something back- Which Viss visibly winced at- and next thing Alice knew, Earl and Qhen were arguing, then Katie was mouthing off, and Sebastian was being absolutely no help and...

Alice retreated again, into her head. She was back in her room, with her books. Her quiet, peaceful books. She started to read, and for the first few moments of forever, she managed to ignore the knocking sound...

Until the knocking was on her head. She winced, and quickly rolled over in bed, pulling her blankets over herself and glaring angrily at Empty as she started to burrow under the covers.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:What do you want?
Empty Wrote:. . .They need guidance, Alice.
Alice Wrote:What they NEED is to shut up and leave me alone. I don't care anymore. Just- Take over my body or whatever and tell them I don't care. Qhen can just point us in a direction and go. They can throw me overboard for all I care.
Empty let out a sound not unlike a sigh. They turned away. . . And then sat down. Alice frowned at that. Then they shifted a leg up onto the bed, adjusting their robes. Alice frowned more. Empty placed a plate of cookies on the bed. Alice looked at them, then Empty. She reached out of her blanket cocoon... and was met with a cold glass of milk in her hand. She almost jumped, but her proximity to her books held her nerves steady.

Alice looked at the glass of milk, and took it into her blankets, snagging a cookie with the other hand. Munching noises from within indicated to Empty that they were allowed to speak. . .
Spoiler :
Empty Wrote:I can't do that, you know that Alice.
Alice Wrote:Can't do what? Tell them to shut up for me? Take over my body? Tell them to throw me overboard?
Empty Wrote:Especially the last one. Remember, we only merge when our thoughts are one-
Alice Wrote:I thought my will was your will, and all that. So-
Empty Wrote:That's true, when you actually have the will to do something. Sitting around and hiding from the world is doing nothing. If you want something done, you still have to want to do it yourself.
Alice Wrote:. . .But I can't do any of that.
Empty Wrote:Why?
Alice Wrote:. . .Because I don't want any of this. I don't deserve any-
Empty Wrote:Ah-Ah. You could have just lead with the second part. It's not that you don't want to, it's that you think you aren't allowed to. Why don't you deserve the right to tell them what you want? This is your ship. Your rules. Your problem-
Alice Wrote:EXACTLY! It's >MY< problem! Not theirs! Mine! I have done nothing to deserve their loyalty, and I'm not about to ask them to DIE with me because I'm afraid to confront-
Alice had exploded out of her blankets, to put a finger right in Empty's face, only to find herself face to face with Sebastian. The room had gone quiet. Really quiet. She couldn't SEE anybody else, but she could tell from Sebastian's expression that she was likely the center of attention.

Seb opened their mouth to say something- but it was too late. Alice shoved him away- Katie moved in to catch him, and Alice used that moment to break through the ring of people around her bed. There was at least a couple calls out in her direction, but she threw the door open, and ran. Ran all the way to the deck, where she went to the nose of the ship... Gripped the edge...

And Vomited. Egh. Or tried to. Alice stared over the edge of the boat, and for a few moments, her head began to swirl with thoughts... How much did she say out loud? All of it? None of it? Was Empty tricking her? Did she just scream at a wounded man? All the information was finally catching up to her. Everybody was in some form of wound or distress, as their features played out in her brain.

Alice was starting to get a headache. Her thoughts were getting hard to deal with. She just stared down into the clouds below her. Staring. Slowly. Deeply. She reached out with an arm-

When suddenly she felt herself being hauled backwards. She barely had the strength to complain, and simply fell back onto Qhen, knocking them both onto the deck.
Spoiler :
Qhen Wrote:. . . Alice, you're a mess.
Alice Wrote:Ha.. ha ha. You have no idea.
Qhen Wrote:Alice. I just kept you from leaping off the edge of the boat.
Alice Wrote:I- . . . What?
Qhen Wrote:. . .
She followed Qhen's gaze to the edge. She briefly remembered thinking about her comment... Just throw her overboard for all she cared-
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Oh. Oh... I- Uh... Qhen, would you believe I don't remember...?
Qhen Wrote:No, I get it.
Alice Wrote:do you really
Qhen Wrote:We- Uh. We can be a bit of a handful- Viss and I. Then you met all these new people, and they're interested in you- Not like Viss and I are interested in you- mind you! I think-
Alice Wrote:okay this is getting awkward, qhen-
Qhen Wrote:-and they clearly cared enough to follow you onto this boat, but all we've done since you woke up was argue. I might not like these new people, but they like you, and I don't want to tell them that you just tried to jump off the boat because we're all a bunch of aggravating assholes who can't understand your feelings-
Alice Wrote:qhen please stop i get it
Qhen Wrote:And I don't even know if this is helping, I feel like I'm scolding someone who is my superior and I don't think that's really my place and I can't believe Viss made me do this- just promise you won't do something like that ever again because-
Alice kissed Qhen on the cheek. Qhen blinked. Alice smiled back at them.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:There we go. Feel better?
Qhen Wrote:I-Uh. .. Hm. Ah- Well- I mean. That is to say- I don't feel bad- Because I don't think you kissing me is bad! But It would be improper to say it's good- Look, I don't think this is proper behavior-
Alice Wrote:Qhen Fenrose.
Qhen Wrote:Yes MaaAAaa-Am!?
Alice Wrote:Shut up. Just- Shut up. That's the best thing you can all do right now. Okay?
Qhen nodded weakly. Alice smiled and stood up, reaching down and hauling Qhen up- (holy dang Qhen weighs a lot more than you. Must be all that bone and muscle mass.) She dusted off Qhen's clothes, then patted them on the cheek.

She turned to go back to her cabin. Qhen followed behind closely. Understandable. Qhen was probably afraid she was going to pull another cliffhanger. She was kinda afraid of that herself. That's why she wanted to get INSIDE. But no- Everybody was just so WORDY and- ANNOYING- and nobody listens to her and-

Alice SHOVED the door to her cabin open, and Jude barely stepped out of the way.
Spoiler :
Jude Wrote:Aaah! Hey, watch-- Alice! Are you feeling-
Alice Wrote:Shut up!
Jude Wrote:I- Wh-
Alice Wrote:Ah-ah! Shut up! Mouth closed! Same goes for the rest of you!
Viss Wrote:Uh- Is Aliss... Alrigh-
Alice Wrote:What part of mouth closed did you misunderstand? The body-area indicated, or the state I wished it to remain in?! Now Keep your face-hole shut before I think of a creative way to shut it for you- and no, that wasn't a salacious offer! I remember seeing a roll of tape somewhere in my things!
Everybody was quiet. Perfectly, beautifully quiet. Alice clapped her hands together. This was nice. Qhen followed her in and... just stood at the door.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Hi! Thanks for giving me your respect by doing as I say and being quiet! Too bad you couldn't do this earlier while I was silently and internally boiling with complex, irrational feelings about how I didn't deserve your friendship, respect, or whatever it is that has brought you onto my ship! I'm presuming some sort of deathwish!
Katie Wrote:. . .
Alice Wrote:So for reasons that are unclear to me- Because I BARELY know myself, much less my enemy, I tried to jump off the boat just a few minutes ago! Yes, yes, look surprised or whatever, but don't say anything yet, I'm not done! If I was going to guess, I was probably trying to spare you having to die for me on what will likely be a one way trip regardless! Now, this is what is going to happen. I'm going to give you your options, and then we're going to hold a vote. Not because I am unwilling to make a decision on my own, but because I believe- rightfully or not- That in many things, you probably know better than me, and I respect your thoughts and opinions, and if you don't like that, you can kiss my ass!
Alice took in a deep breath, and sat down on her bed. She held it for a few seconds, then let it out. Nope. Still not feeling any better. Fine.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Any questions?
Everybody's hands shot up.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Any questions that AREN'T poorly veiled excuses to ask if I'm okay after nearly jumping to my death, or simply questioning some part of what I just said?
Everybody's hands went down.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Right. So. The way I see it, we have two options. Stay and Fight, or Run and Fight. If we stay and fight, we keep the fight faraway from anybody that doesn't deserve to get caught up in our shenanigans. If we win, fine. If I die- then at least I won't have likely gotten a bunch of people eaten by-... those things. On the other hand, I can't imagine the Imperial Sphere would just IGNORE something going around attacking places. Especially if we went deep- as close as we could to the capital, before going into hiding and trying to gather supplies. I know some of you don't have any real love for the way the Imperials do things. In that case, just imaging the number of people that are going to get eaten, and that should make up for me asking you to do something so uncomfortable. Any questions? No? Good. Here's how we do this. Everybody is going to close their eyes. When I say to, put up your left hand if you want to stay, and your right hand if you want to run. Understand? Go.

Qhen votes Stay.
Judith votes Run.
Katie votes Stay.
Seb votes Run.
Earl votes Run.
Viss votes Stay.

Well. That was no help. Alice would ask for your help, but she's currently not listening to anybody right now! She's in a funky mood, and she's even pointedly ignoring Empty.

But Empty isn't ignoring you. Empty waves.
Spoiler :
Empty Wrote:Hi. Sorry about Alice. She's... Experiencing emotions. I found it weird the first time I had those. I can't imagine it's much better for her.
Empty Wrote:. . .
Empty Wrote:That was- Harsh of me, huh? Should I have done that- making her act out by stepping out of our conversation? I didn't think she was going to do anything on her own if I just sat there and let her hide in her own head- but perhaps I overstepped my bounds.
Empty Wrote:. . .
Empty Wrote:Well, nothing to do about it right now. If you have any ideas, I'll pass them along after she's calmed down...

[ ] Run and Fight>
[ ] Stay and Fight>
[ ] How about do we something else?>
[ ] Seriously, why are we even fighting this thing? Is there another option?>
12-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
gloomyMoron
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
That Grouchy Ol' Curmudgeon

Offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug 2017
Well, it isn't as if I didn't foresee that outcome. I figured there was a chance the vote would split. I just figured it would force Alice to make a decision. I guess she isn't there yet. I, personally, still think that accruing resources to fight is better, but I'm the overly cautious sort. So... I'm gonna go against my own thoughts on the off chance it resonates with someone. We run and skirt around the fringe regions of the Imperial Sphere trying to acquire what information we can. Information such as strange sightings and towns disappearing. Then... charge headlong in to them. Maybe, instead of running or waiting, take the fight to them... which I suppose was always my underlying goal. I mean, the only option I see besides fighting is giving it what it wants... and what it wants seems to be Alice, dead. Unless there is a way to so thoroughly convince it that Alice is dead and her body destroyed without actually killing her, fighting feels like the only option. There may be Muse for that... but we've not met them.
12-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 682
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>No-no, Empty, it wasn't too harsh to step out. Having help is good, but sometimes people need to learn to stand on their own. She seems to have the right idea, or "an idea", anyway.

>Run and fight. Remember the old saying: "The enemy of my enemy is my other enemy, but it's better my enemies are looking at each other instead of me." Have the empire do something useful for a change, if you catch my meaning.

>Oh, by the way Alice, are there any big hats around? It might help you feel the part if you dress the part. Big hats are a very coveted commodity amongst captains. And I mean a really, REALLY big hat.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017, 09:00 AM by typeandkey.)
12-29-2017, 12:39 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
A-cha
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 2017
> Run and fight!
12-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
NotABear
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Dec 2011
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Good. We have a majority consensus then. Limbs down please. I wish I had the time to figure out WHY you're all here- but I'm going to make do with giving you orders. Jude?
Jude Wrote:. . .
Jude nervously shuffled. That was... weird. Right? Alice was pretty sure that was weird. Ever since she busted into her own room and started ordering people around... Hm. Oh well.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:You're allowed to speak now.
Jude Wrote:O-oh. Uh- Yes, Ah- ... Captain?
Alice Wrote:If you please. Can I ask you to go with Viss to the engine room? She'll help you with general operation until you can convince her that you are proficient in the engine to be left to operate it alone.
Jude Wrote:Ah- Yeah. Absolutely. I understand this thing runs on steam pressure using elemental converter stones... probably to drive high efficiency harmonics? - I uh- I took a quick peek around earlier...
Alice Wrote:Fantastic. Sounds like you won't need a lot of time to settle in. After that, Viss, you'll join up with Katie, Sebastian and Earl.
Katie Wrote:I presume you'll have us doing some menial, meaningless, boring labor to keep us busy and out of sight?
Alice looked blankly at Katie. Katie looked back with the same empty expression. She couldn't tell if Katie was being genuine with that question, or just try to start an argument. Probably both.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:You need a place to stay. There are makeshift bunk quarters in the combat hold, but I suspect they won't be furnished well, if at all. I want you and Sebastian to help Viss and Earl take an accurate reading of our supplies in cargo, then make sure you're familiar with both the operation of our rotary broadside cannons, as well as the mountable rotary rifle kept in the cargo. I'm lead to believe through the notes that Jude gave me previously that you're an expert in nearly everything that uses black powder...
Katie Wrote:I AM an expert in EVERYTHING black powder related-
Alice Wrote:Then I have nothing to worry about. When you're done with the cargo and combat holds, you're free to wander the ship. Any questions?
Earl Wrote:Yeah. What exactly did the vote decide?
Alice Wrote:Nothing really. Three of you voted one way, three of you voted the other, and we don't even know WHERE this enemy is, so-
Katie Wrote:*SQWRK* THEN WHY DID YOU EVEN ASK US--!?
Alice Wrote:Because I wanted to know how you felt about the situation, while also gauging your ability to take orders. Without knowledge as to the location of our hunter, Qhen is going to take us slowly Sphereward. We're going to skirt outer settlements, looking for information regarding any odd sightings, as well as supplies. Either we'll get a lead, or we'll at least hopefully catch sight of them before they're upon us. Then we fight. Any further complaints, Katie?
Her beak clicked loudly and angrily, and Katie looked like she wanted to say something, when Sebastian reached over and gently touched her on the back of a hand. Katie closed her eyes and ruffled her feathers with a sigh.
Spoiler :
Katie Wrote:... No. Thank you for answering my questions. C'mon, Seb. Earl. Let's get started. The sooner we're done, the sooner I can break my cards out.
Earl Wrote:You realize none of us have anything to gamble right now, right?
Katie Wrote:Gambling isn't just about winning things from people! It's about having fun! A distraction! Besides- I have a bag of jewels- Fake jewels, mind you- that I won off some idiot a while back. They'll be good enough.
Seb Wrote:. . . You're really just addicted to the thrill aren't you, my dear?
Katie Wrote:*hissss* don't talk like that in public where others can hear you, idiot.
Katie, Seb and Earl left the room. Jude stood there and shuffled her feet for a moment, took a deep breath, and looked at Viss, indicating the door. Viss nodded and she opened the door for Jude, and they wandered away, talking quietly about the ship.

Which left Alice alone with her thoughts. Well. Sort of alone. She was aware of the thing she only could refer to as 'the hum of the universe'. It was always there. Watching? Listening? . . .She flopped backwards onto her bed.

She made a mental note. If she could get a bigger ship? Meeting room. Or they need to start using the Qhen's room because she was starting to get a little tired with waking up and finding people had been keeping an eye on her.

Then again, Alice was pretty sure that wouldn't stop Qhen or Viss from making sure at least one of them was keeping an eye on her. Hopefully they weren't losing sleep over that particular duty. Maybe what she really needed was a privacy room. Maybe she could fold her voidspace in such a way that-
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Oh. Right. I completely forgot about the people back home. ... Was that still home? I'd like to check in on them, but I feel like it would endanger them if-
Qhen Wrote:Didn't you-
Alice Wrote:ACK!
Qhen Wrote:. . .
Alice Wrote:HI! QHEN?
Qhen Wrote:. . .Hello. Yes.
Alice Wrote:. . .
Alice stared at Qhen, having pulled her blankets back to make a fort of them between herself and Qhen.

Qhen scratched the side of their face idly, then adjusted the neck of their shirt. The hood was down but Alice caught the edges of the blood cape fluttering behind them every so gently, despite the lack of a breeze. Guess that's just something you can do when your cloak is alive. They had gotten better at that.

. . .Alice was a little jealous, really.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Uh, what were you saying, Qhen?
Qhen Wrote:You were talking about the old crew, back on the island, Right?
Alice Wrote:Yeah... I wanted to see how they were doing. It feels like it's been forever.
Qhen Wrote:Alic- Captain, it's been- maybe, a week. Or two.
Alice Wrote:You can call me Alice, you know.
Qhen Wrote:It would set a bad example for the rest of the crew, Captain.
Alice Wrote:. . . You... could call me Alice when you're in my room?
Qhen Wrote:That would be even more inappropriate, captain.
Alice closed her eyes. She took a deep breath. Right. Qhen was right. She just got done having a sass-off with Katie. She needs to be better at this captain business.
Spoiler :
Alice Wrote:Head up and start bringing us inner sphere-ward. Get someone to help you read the map and locate the closest settlement and... I'll figure out something by then. Alright?
Qhen Wrote:Absolutely, Captain.
Qhen saluted casually and walked out. Alice sat and thought. She thought about how hard it would be to get information on any of these islands. She mentally put together a chart.


Spoiler :
They had maybe... three days? Until Alice's darkness would supposedly come for her. Presuming it didn't just appear out of nowhere, they'd probably have a few more days to make preparations after that.

In terms of gathering information and supplies...

Earl was too conspicuous.
Jude was too conspicuous.
Seb was too conspicuous.
Katie was too conspicuous-


Alice gritted her teeth and rubbed the sides of her head. Okay. Fine. Let's just not care about drawing attention to ourselves. Provided we live past an encounter with this horrible thing that sends her into panic attacks...


Spoiler :
Three days plus change. Let's say they could make one island a day.

As far as gathering information and supplies...

Earl would probably be good for getting information, but he could NOT be trusted to gather supplies on his own.

Judith probably would... hit on some girls and make a fool of herself, but could probably be trusted with a shopping list?

Katie is NOT allowed to gather supplies or information alone. The gambling thing is probably an addiction and a hazard...

Seb could probably get information OR supplies alone, but with anybody else, would just draw so much attention...

And she isn't even considering Qhen and Viss.

She just has no idea how they would all interact individually.

So... She just sends two out for any particular task.

Two go for information, two go for supplies, two stay on the ship with her for conversation and to help make sense of things....

That could work. Just don't send the same two out to do the same job twice in a row? Ugh. Did this make sense to you guys? Can you help her fill the blanks in here? Maybe some words of encouragement? She's been hearing nothing but a lot of fuzz lately and she's starting to get worried you're not actually real and she's going crazy.

The next island is a small farming village, on the absolute edge of imperial territory. Almost nobody comes out here except trading ships, and usually they have their own protection, instead of relying on the imperial sphere to protect them.


Day 1 Info Team> ? and ?
Day 1 Loot Team> ? and ?
Day 1 Talk Team> ? and ?
01-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
gloomyMoron
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
That Grouchy Ol' Curmudgeon

Offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug 2017
Fuzz? Maybe you're just being more independent... not that I mind, but one's own mind often comes with a lot of white noise.

Talk Team... how ready are you to deal with Earl? He'd probably be the most interesting to pick at. He seems to have a pseudo-precognition ability and is tied to Fate? Is it that the Erinyes that whisper to him or just that he is able to feel the pull of a strong story? It'll be good to find out what Fate he is tied to, since that is often the Fate you make for yourself. Also, finding out what Katie's deal is important. The earlier the better. Whatever chip is on her shoulder is fine, really, just so long as you're aware of it and have a plan for it. You're not her mother, after all. You have no need to fix her but you have to know what she is and is not capable of. Finding out just what her damage is should tell you that.

Loot Team... Qhen is strong, stern, and responsible. Pair him with Judith, who may be a bit... flighty? But otherwise listens fairly well and seems capable. She's also strong and is probably more used to dealing with people and acquisitions.

Info Team... Viss and Seb, I guess. I mean, this may be the only time Seb will be able to be sent out. If we head closer Sphere-ward, he should stay onboard the ship as much as possible so giving him a chance to go out, regardless of his own reluctance, might be good for him. Viss also, if memory serves, can be very... persuasive and tricky. That's useful for someone with a honesty policy. Seb can lie to himself all he likes, but we need someone with him who can lie for him.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM by gloomyMoron.)
01-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
A-cha
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 2017
Talk>Katie, Earl
Loot>Judith, Qhen
Info> Seb, Viss

I pretty much came to the same conclusion as Gloomy after looking them over.

You're doing great, Alice. They're (mostly) listening to you and (mostly) respecting you!
01-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
typeandkey
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 682
Joined: May 2016
That place that isn't here
>I'm curious to see what team ideas your crew comes up with on their own. Just to gauge what they think.
01-25-2018, 09:00 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Lordlyhour
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen
A Guy Who Has Teeth

Offline
Posts: 214
Joined: Jun 2013
Australia
Will Second asking for your crew' input on teams. If they can't agree, run with Gloomy's Rundown
>Viss and Seb on Info Duty, for the reasons Gloomy ran with. With Two people who're capable of doing things without supervision, it makes them Twice as effective, as they don't need to stick with one another
>Katie and Earl on talk Duty, Again for GM's Rundown. If Nothing Else, you could probably get a decent hand of cards going
>Qhen and Judith Catching Loot, B/c Gloomy is just hitting it outta the ballpark with his suggestions. Stronk Fetcher Of itemry means More Itemry can be hauled
01-27-2018, 12:16 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
NotABear
 RE: Cloudsea - The Chronicle of Alice Van Vaugen

Offline
Posts: 219
Joined: Dec 2011
Spoiler :
Nervous anxiety took over, I'm just gonna pick this post back up and go back to work on it and maybe figure out what to do with it later. ' <';
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM by NotABear.)
02-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply