Sixty-four Pixel Colonists
Justice Watch
 RE: Sixty-four Pixel Colonists
Friend from the Cosmos

A City on the Moon
My thoughts:
Spoiler :
On the potential power crisis:
We don't necessarily need to build batteries right away. They require additional resources that, from what I can tell, we don't know how to get, and the GFP is probably sending us at least one. It will take a lot more work to build a battery than just wait for one to arrive, and in that time, we can just fix the solar array proper.

On gathering additional resources:
To build a battery, we need post-transition metals. According to the regolith analysis on turn 2, we have Andalusite, which contains Aluminum, which is a post-transition metal. So we need to build some sort of refinery to get those resources. An oscillator crystal for the radar tower, like quartz for example, could theoretically be made from silicon and oxygen. Both of these elements can also be found in the regolith. There is a chance we can get all that through mining as well.

On building space:
We just gots to tear out those rocks to the west, unless we just want to build plain on top of them, which won't be easy. We can probably build a bulldozer of some sort to clear away rocks quickly, or we can start the perhaps slower process of mining and get some resources to boot. We COULD recycle old buildings, but it may be worth expanding the buildings we already have. Building the radar tower on top of one of the domes, for example, would save plasticarbon. And we mustn't forget about a52's hallway idea; I think it's a really good one.

On the mold in Algae Tank A:
That mold needs to be contained. Cut out a piece of the tank if we must; we can recycle the rest of the tank for more resources, or simply rebuild it. We need to know how this mold spreads if at all, how it grows, how it affects what it grows on, how toxic it might be, its chemical makeup, if it's safe to bring indoors, and so forth. Someone ought to look at the blueprint for more details, and get that shit contained.

On the Biologist:
He's gone, my dudes. Whatever did that to him and the scouting drone can do it to the rest of the expeditioners also. We need to cut our losses now and go home before we lose someone else. We can hope that he'll show up again later, but finding the rest of him now is NOT worth more casualties. Come back to the base immediately. Keep watch on that ice, also - I have a very strong suspicion that whatever is in these icicles is more of that mold, and we ought to keep our distance until we know more.

On building a lab:
Just convert one of the habitation domes to a lab. We have the space for living, and we need to analyze this mold proper ASAP. If anything is an emergency right now, it's this.

On the alien spire:
This should be destroyed and recycled for resources. We have the blueprints, and we don't need a physical structure to analyze it, probably.

On storage space:
The radar tower will take a whopping 35 plasticarbon to build, and we only have storage capacity for 30 units. We need more storage crates, for plasticarbon, food, AND the stuff we will probably mine soon. Although we are close to building some other structures we may want, at 10 plasticarbon per turn, we will have enough in the long term.

My suggested course of action, from most to least important:
- Build a mining drone if we can. If not, just fix the damn solar array.
- Design a lab, to occupy one of the prefab shelters.
- Have the other drone aid in pushing the busted one back to base with possible help from the expeditioners as they return. Prioritize getting everyone back to base safely, while keeping the busted drone within sight.
- Design a bulldozer for clearing away land quickly.
- Build a storage crate.
- Design a refinery for rapidly extracting resources from regolith and rubble.
- Design ways to combine buildings.

Spoiler :
I'm having loooots of fun reading this. The strange events have been excellently timed and written.

Design suggestion: If you put the headers in the numbers tab in bold, it would be much easier to read and distinguish powered from unpowered devices.

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 12:02 AM by Justice Watch.)
02-09-2018, 12:00 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
a52
Comander obviou's

the woods
(02-07-2018, 07:35 AM)smuchmuch Wrote:
Quote:That arm makes no sense. Whether they cut off their arm or just the sleeve, what was the point of sending it back to the base full of ordinary icicles?

"Ordinary icicles" are kind of important since they mean there's water on the asteroid we're on (good for the long term, wter recycling systems no matter hhow advanced will only last for so ong and otherwise we'd have to hope we could ever make our ship work and go mine some other asteroids which is alot of ifs for something so vital). And maybe there's more to this. Maybe there's something IN the water they wanted to warn/show us about.

It could just be frozen methane or CO2, although whatever it is, you're right in that it's a bit strange it could form the liquid necessary to make icicle-like structures.

Seawyrm, for the battery storage, I think you meant something like 1.2 kW turns. kW are a measure of energy/time, so a battery can't really store that.
02-09-2018, 12:09 AM
smuchmuch

Seawyrm:
For now the only thing that require another sourcethe metal that drone would be used to get that plasticarbon is the batteries.
The batteries cost 20 plasticarbon and 5 metals to o10 plasticarbon or a sollar pannl
The batteries can only store power whch we still need genrator to produce in the first place.
The drone would need power to operate.

However you look at it, right now building the batteries (which we can't anyway due to not having the metals) and the mining drone is a lower priority as building two more solar pannels would fix our power crisis in chaper and more efficient manner.

Also I don't think we can even build drones by ourselves. We'd need to ask them from Earth and we jsut already send them a request. Might beagood idea not to be to needy.

I agre it will be necessary laater tho.
But for now I think the best build order is:

Right now with two aquariums onplasticarbon production (at last) we produce 10 per turn so

-Next turn t+1)=
Bbuild a solar array immediatly
(-10 plasticarbon, 9 remains, +10 next turn.
+1.2 kW
Even if the jurry rigged solar pannel give up , we're breaking equal)

Turn T+2:
Build new tank.
(-10 plasticarbon)
Now the most efficient thing to do would be to put it on platicarbon production but morale has been pretty low and we are slowly loosing one food per trun so we might ave to put it on food imediatly to avoid a food/morale crisis
Build some new storage crate (-5 plasticarbon, 4 remaining)
Augment storage for our plasticrbon production

T+3: Another compact tank but on plasticarbon/food, the opposit the last one (we're now at +15 per turn)

-T+4:
Build another solar array
(-10 plasticarbon, 9 remains, +10 next turn
+1.2 kW
We finaly have spare power hurray. If the jurry rigged solar array hasn't given up yet, recycle it we don't need anymore)
Build another storage crate becuse we never know when we'll need some more storage space and it cost almost nothing.

After that we can finaly get cooking on new stuff which will be nice.

If we want to be /really/ secure for power we could go for a compact tank to grow fuel and then a fuel generator that way even if for some reason the solar pannels were disabled, we'd still have power from that.
Then the mining drone and the batteries for extra security

If we want to go for better morale, we can finaly go on hydroponics and the meeting room.

If we want to upgrade production maybe start looking into making small tanks to replace our compact tanks and the mining drones.

If we want to go for research, the radar and take more interest into that mold.
etc, etc...

But anyway all that need at least 4 to 5 borring turns of building power and prodution. and that's assuming no drawbacks
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 10:30 AM by smuchmuch.)
02-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Justice Watch
Friend from the Cosmos

A City on the Moon
If there are no threats out there, I would agree that that is a good plan. But, if something attacks us (and I would not be surprised if we were), then suddenly we need to work on defense in addition to resource management, and that means getting the radar tower up right away.

That, and all those buildings are going to take up a lot of space - and I am NOT comfortable having buildings anywhere near that ice field.

I have a sinking feeling that we're not going to be seeing stability any time soon. Besides, that keeps things interesting.

02-09-2018, 11:33 AM
smuchmuch

Well the thing is, even if we wanted to build the radar now, at 35 plasticarbon to build and 1.2 kW to run, it would still take an extra solar power and four turn atleast of economising resource ( three turn at +10 for the radar itself and 1 turn for the extra solar array that'd be needed) to have the plasticarbon and power to build and run it anyway
... So, unless we get some extra free plasticarbon somehow (what, sometime random stuff can be good, I hope. And there's alway recycling), we might as well build production and hope for the best. When we get at 20 plasticarbon production and +2.4 kW we will be able to build most project in one, two turn tops.

As of thing likely not going more peacefull, well.... there's is a lot that can go wrong even if there is nothing outside:
-More contamination from that mold, set back prodction
-Another asteroid fall way too close and crush things (or worse people)
-Someone else does something incredibly stupid.
-More likely the declining food supply and morale and serious risk of someone getting cuckoo...

But theres not much we can really do to prevent any of this with the limited options we have right now so we'll have to deal with any of these situation when/if they happen.
Let's hope things don't get too interesting too fast, is all :p
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 12:15 PM by smuchmuch.)
02-09-2018, 12:04 PM
FlanDab
Polite Guardian of Corruption

The In Between of the Filverse and Earth
Food will be an issue.

This adventure is thrilling. It has suspense and unidentified somethings!

Spoiler: Regarding the Mold
What if the mold is not a mold, but rather, just a really strange mineral. The geologist could have more insight on this subject. Since we're without a lab at the moment, we could start guessing what it may have by the data and observations we currently have. First of all, the color of stuff is a great indication of its composition.
Spoiler :
Stuff with iron are often red, with copper are green, blue or teal, and chromium is with probably lots of color but I confidently know that it makes vibrant reds. If we consider organic chemicals, that would may have been dissolved by the growth from the algae tank which I think is made of plasticarbon, which is clearly an organic material, then we can add on a multiplitude of organic pigments that the lumps may have, more especially if the growth is a living organism, which may or may not be true and it could be just a product or corrosion.
Don't take my word too deep at heart for I am not an expert in this field at all and I'm just blindly rambling. It is, however, not to be dismissed and should be taken to account. Until confirmed, observed, and identified in a lab and a qualified person, we can only guess for now. Maybe we should archive our finding of this strange thing as "Algae Tank Anomaly #1."

Yeah we should start designing some labs, especially since we have that chunk of dubious ice. We may also need to design a medbay (do we have that or not?). Food seems to be problematically declining. We'll need to fix that. We may need to start producing tools and chemicals like antibiotics, proteins, and vitamins soon. Our colonists can't possibly be living on algae mush forever.

As for the obelisk of plasticarbon... I'm compelled to say to keep it for now. I'm not sure if the blueprints on itself will be indicative of what's it's supposed to be. But the structure is unfinished, unsettles the colonists, and has no apparent benefit or effect, and therefore, it would probably be best to scrap it. I fear that it may be of malicious nature.
02-09-2018, 12:19 PM
smuchmuch

Mold could be part mineral, yes which would explain it's hardness but that wouldn't explain it's sudden growth.
Also as of the color, there are red vegetal pigments.

When we have a lab we can anayse it in more details. In fact if it can grow, is hard and has no adverse effect on human biology.. it could make an interesting building material on top of plasticarbon.

Problem is, right now building a lab is like the radar, even if we had the resource to build it, we'd lack the power to run it. e can still get someone on designing the plans for it, tho.

Quote:As for the obelisk of plasticarbon... I'm compelled to say to keep it for now. I'm not sure if the blueprints on itself will be indicative of what's it's supposed to be. But the structure is unfinished, unsettles the colonists, and has no apparent benefit or effect, and therefore, it would probably be best to scrap it. I fear that it may be of malicious nature.

(Couldn't it just be Shiva flagpole in truth. ?

As he mentioned he built it without authorisation ( he took the plastocarbon from the tank as caught by camera and programed the construction drone) and used topological repport to make sure it would use as little plasticarbon as it can which explain the strange architecture.

But of course only Shiva and Tom know that and because they are both idiots bad comunicants, our other colonist at home are panicking over nothing. If that's the case that is.

If it genuinely alien, I'd rather keep it for futher study. I mean i's a first contact artifact, it's value is just.. incredible.)
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 12:32 PM by smuchmuch.)
02-09-2018, 12:23 PM
FlanDab
Polite Guardian of Corruption

The In Between of the Filverse and Earth
smuchsmuch Wrote:(Couldn't it just be Shiva flagpole in truth. ?

As he mentioned he built it without authorisation ( he took the plastocarbon from the tank as caught by camera and programed the construction drone) and used topological repport to make sure it would use as little plasticarbon as it can which explain the strange architecture.

But of course only Shiva and Tom know that and because they are both idiots bad comunicants, our other colonist at home are panicking over nothing. If that's the case that is.

If it genuinely alien, I'd rather keep it for futher study. I mean i's a first contact artifact, it's value is just.. incredible.)

Then we should move it somewhere where it is not the first thing the colonists see when they wake up in the morning if we wish to keep it. They find it creepy. While I have no doubts that moving it away from instant sight will alleviate the mood of the colonists, but I do not believe that the unsettlement will truly go away, but I can see everything getting better.
02-09-2018, 12:43 PM
LoverIan
Gay Owl

>Martha: Live damnit live

>Archivist Tom: Admit personal feelings of suspicion, as they were unfounded. copying the structure of the mold and using it for a flagpole to conserve resources is actually really clever. You just worried that if the truth was grim, it would have been better to have privacy and work on how to bring it up with others.
>Medic Sedna: Ok Ok we get it everyone has personal memories and wants this all to go well. Was it not obvious from the get-go that Shiva wouldn't be growing space weed the first chance we got? They're the exact person who would find a time to put weed in an asteroid's hydroponic bay. Think of the selling rate of weed grown on an asteroid.

>Other colonists: Connect the mold to the flag pole in structure. Maybe consider what would happen if you tried to rig algae to take on the properties of biopaint and remain edible. The mold must have been a bioengineering project between the biologist and the artist to have excess rations be usable as biopaint. Examining it should still be done, but the truth is probably just mundane.
>Also can we put forth the motion to upgrade the landing pod with wheels so it can be moved like a mobile walker? Extending drone radius by day, and coming back later. Like the early step of turning it into a mobile drone hub. Next step would be it's own dedicated micro-solar sourcing so that cables aren't necessary. Then changing it's shape just a bit for drone storage.

(02-07-2018, 07:35 AM)smuchmuch Wrote: >Next turn spend 10 plasticarbon for a new solar pannel
(btw shouldn't that be +10 plasticarbon per turn in the numbers now ?)

(then the turn after that, build another compact algae tank which will be put on plasticarbon, then same for the turn after and then one more solar array (to replace the broken one), two more anks on food duty (finally decent rations for everyone) and we will have a funtcional colony as well as enouh plasticarbon to get started on more expensive projct like the bateries, the radar, the common room and so on....)

>Well, well that mold might actaly be genuinely alien, this is... actualy kind of great.
Tank A needs to stay on alien mold duty but should be moved away from other tanks to avoid further contamination.

>Without giving up, the group, or one or two members of it at least, should go back to camp with the broken drone, see if there's any images that can be salvaged from it's memory banks and then knowing what to expect, go again but better equiped (like say with extra rations and a tool to taw ice)

>More or less agreed
>Geologist, try to rig up the broken drone to transmit a message back to base. Set a rendezvous where a drone send out with resupply, and the broken drone is taken back for repairs. Another rendezvouz at the same site is guaranteed in the next period they are needed. Two members split off for pickup, and come back to the group. Assume that the arm is being sent back, and possibly exchanged for tools.

(02-09-2018, 12:00 AM)Justice Watch Wrote: My thoughts:
Spoiler :
We don't necessarily need to build batteries right away. They require additional resources that, from what I can tell, we don't know how to get, and the GFP is probably sending us at least one. It will take a lot more work to build a battery than just wait for one to arrive, and in that time, we can just fix the solar array proper.

To build a battery, we need post-transition metals. According to the regolith analysis on turn 2, we have Andalusite, which contains Aluminum, which is a post-transition metal. So we need to build some sort of refinery to get those resources. An oscillator crystal for the radar tower, like quartz for example, could theoretically be made from silicon and oxygen. Both of these elements can also be found in the regolith. There is a chance we can get all that through mining as well.

On building space:
We just gots to tear out those rocks to the west, unless we just want to build plain on top of them, which won't be easy. We can probably build a bulldozer of some sort to clear away rocks quickly, or we can start the perhaps slower process of mining and get some resources to boot. We COULD recycle old buildings, but it may be worth expanding the buildings we already have. Building the radar tower on top of one of the domes, for example, would save plasticarbon. And we mustn't forget about a52's hallway idea; I think it's a really good one.

That mold needs to be contained. Cut out a piece of the tank if we must; we can recycle the rest of the tank for more resources, or simply rebuild it. We need to know how this mold spreads if at all, how it grows, how it affects what it grows on, how toxic it might be, its chemical makeup, if it's safe to bring indoors, and so forth. Someone ought to look at the blueprint for more details, and get that shit contained.

On the Biologist:
He's gone, my dudes. Whatever did that to him and the scouting drone can do it to the rest of the expeditioners also. We need to cut our losses now and go home before we lose someone else. We can hope that he'll show up again later, but finding the rest of him now is NOT worth more casualties. Come back to the base immediately. Keep watch on that ice, also - I have a very strong suspicion that whatever is in these icicles is more of that mold, and we ought to keep our distance until we know more.

On building a lab:
Just convert one of the habitation domes to a lab. We have the space for living, and we need to analyze this mold proper ASAP. If anything is an emergency right now, it's this.

On the alien spire:
This should be destroyed and recycled for resources. We have the blueprints, and we don't need a physical structure to analyze it, probably.

On storage space:
The radar tower will take a whopping 35 plasticarbon to build, and we only have storage capacity for 30 units. We need more storage crates, for plasticarbon, food, AND the stuff we will probably mine soon. Although we are close to building some other structures we may want, at 10 plasticarbon per turn, we will have enough in the long term.

- Have the other drone aid in pushing the busted one back to base with possible help from the expeditioners as they return. Prioritize getting everyone back to base safely, while keeping the busted drone within sight.
- Build a storage crate.

Spoiler :
I'm having loooots of fun reading this. The strange events have been excellently timed and written.

Design suggestion: If you put the headers in the numbers tab in bold, it would be much easier to read and distinguish powered from unpowered devices.

>Agreed on Power
>Consider adaptations to the construction drone be used for mining, or at least carving and transporting blocks

>Designate an ansible message in ascii format of the base
~~XXXXXI
RRXXXX~~
RRXXXX~~
~XXXX~~~
This is an approximated map of the base
~ empty,Xoccupiedbase,I-icefield,R-rock
Use any designated ~ space for drops
Please coordinate from last drop metrics

>Observe how the mold functions in the vacuum, aka cut out parts of the tank to leave it outside

Personally I think the ice-cicles are just the rod-protrusions from the ice patch, and it may be a europa-like scenario. chemical reactions ongoing in the core of the asteroid, and water sits as the outer layer, rarely causing venting blasts which compromise spikes after vents end.
I think they're being sent back as samples for study. What if the biologist wanted to prove their claim and decided they could work with just 1 active arm, and the other contained in a sealed suit. Inefficient, but possible. Unless they cannibalized.

>Yeah everyone left at the base can just stay in one or two habitation modules. Let's retrofit it to function as a lab.

>The spire should not be deconstructed for now. It should be considered that the highly similar nature of both results in materials imitating life. It should be melted down more or less before reuse.

Furthermore the 'alien' nature of the mold if it's not a byproduct should be considered as something that exists from microspores in asteroid rings. Clinging to ice vents like this and forming where it can. It could have clung to a suit passing from habitat and into the algae and found our source of high liquid.
If that's an issue we should probably consider a sort of cleaning drone for the algael pools. Melts off and melts down the mold.

edit:

>I fucking love smuchmuch's blueprint

[LIVE] - a fortuna fanventure, like and subscribe to AliCat2020's playthrough of the new DLC
[M]om - a textventure about Notail raising. how will you do =)

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 04:22 PM by LoverIan.)
02-13-2018, 05:46 PM
smuchmuch

So for now, our missing bioogist and resource production are the more importnt issue but in case the building space becomes an issue in the future, assuming we manage to get some decent plasticarbon production and/or mining going, I have to ask:

Besides the 2D pixal graphic art and the incresed resource costs is there a reason we couldn't build buildings with multiple floors ?
(I would assume gravity is likely inferior to earth considering, weight is likely less of an issue and Shiva use of the moss topology actualy give us a clever idea to create biger building for lesser resource costs)

Spoiler: Somethng like that
[Image: 2iCvpyC.png]

Going for the basis that a full on one story habitat cost twenty plasticarbon. I'm gonna say 30 to 40 plasticarbon seems a reasonable estimation for the basic infrastructure
Adding 1*
0 for the solar power array and 10 for the compact tank, I think the whole thing could cost like between 50 to 60 plasticarbon (not counting the actual modules in each floors)
Expensive but seeing as we'd get basicaly the utility of 4 buildings for the surface place of one/one and a half, that'd be a way to save space.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM by smuchmuch.)
02-15-2018, 12:32 AM
Numbers

(02-09-2018, 12:00 AM)Justice Watch Wrote: My thoughts:
Spoiler :

On building space:

On the Biologist:

On building a lab:

On the alien spire:

On storage space:

- Build a storage crate.

Spoiler :

Seconding all of this.

Noot noot doot doot.
02-17-2018, 06:55 PM
SeaWyrm
The Roar of the Surf

(REFERENCES:)

BUILDING INFORMATION
Spoiler :
PREFAB SHELTER
(20 Plasticarbon)
A simple, bare-bones housing unit with air filtration, liquid recycling, heat management and pressurized door seals. Holds 5 colonists.
Requires no power.
Vulnerable: Low Morale

SMALL STORAGE CRATE
(5 Plasticarbon)
A small but durable plasticarbon box.
10 unit capacity.
Requires no power.

COMPACT ALGAE TANK
(10 Plasticarbon)
A portable, space-efficient algaculture tank for farming food and other organic substances.
Requires 400 W power
Can generate one of:
4 Food Units / Turn
5 Plasticarbon / Turn
1 Fuel / Turn
4 Biopaint (red, green, yellow) / Turn
4 Fertilizer / Turn
Vulnerable: Contamination
Vulnerable: Low Morale (if used for food)

SMALL ALGAE TANK
(20 Plasticarbon)
A small algaculture tank for farming food and other organic substances. Takes up more space and wattage than a single Compact Algae Tank, but produces more yield.
Requires 500 W power
Can generate one of:
6 Food Units / Turn
8 Plasticarbon / Turn
2 Fuel / Turn
6 Biopaint (red, green, yellow) / Turn
6 Fertilizer / Turn
Vulnerable: Contamination
Vulnerable: Low Morale (if used for food)

ANSIBLE
(???)
A device for transmitting and recieving messages in real-time at interstellar ranges.
Requires 800 W to send a 128-char message once per Turn
Requires no power to recieve messages

SOLAR ARRAY
(10 Plasticarbon)
A simple array of solar panels.
Generates 1.2 kW

FUEL-POWERED GENERATOR
(20 Plasticarbon)
A power generator that burns biofuel or other combustible substances.
Requires 1 Fuel/Turn
Generates 2.5 kW
Vulnerable: Breakdown

DEEP-CYCLE BATTERY ARRAY
(20 Plasticarbon, 5 Post-transition Metals)
A cluster of batteries that will charge from the colony's power grid. They can later be deliberately drained for a temporary power boost, either to increase power capacity for a short while, or to buy time in case of an emergency power failure.
Charge time: 2 Turns
Discharge time: 1 Turn
Capacity: 1.2 kWT

BASIC COMMON ROOM
(25 Plasticarbon)
A simple space for colonists to socialize and hold community meetings.
Requires no power.

SIMPLE HYDROPONICS VAT
(10 Plasticarbon)
A container for growing plants in the absence of proper soil by partially submerging the roots in nutrient-rich liquid.
Requires 200 W power
Requires 1 Fertilizer/Turn
Generates 8 Food Units/Turn
Vulnerable: Blight

RADAR TOWER
(35 Plasticarbon, 1 Oscillator Crystal)
A tower that uses radio waves to detect objects at a distance, both across the surface of BRitS and up into space.
Requires 1.2 kW power
Sight 5

DRONE INFORMATION
Spoiler :
Drones must remain within a certain radius of a signal antenna to function. All standard landing craft are equipped with a built-in signal antenna.

CONSTRUCTION DRONE
A mobile, self-driven framework capable of printing plasticarbon building foundations onto any flat, solid surface.
Sight 1
Move 2
Range 3
Vulnerable: Nozzle Jams

COMPACT MINING DRONE
A small drone equipped with a weak laser-saw for cutting through solid rock. Programmed with algorithms for identifying and excavating valuable minerals. 1 unit capacity.
Sight 1
Move 3
Range 5

COMPACT SCOUTING DRONE
A small drone equipped with recording and measuring devices. Can take soil samples and capture signals across the electromagnetic spectrum.
Sight 2
Move 3
Range 6
02-24-2018, 07:35 AM
SeaWyrm
The Roar of the Surf

TURN 11

Colony Mood:
Unsettled

Construction Drone: IDLE
Compact Scouting Drone: DAMAGED
Compact Scouting Drone: IDLE

Projects:
Rescue the Biologist: ??? Turns
Drop Pod: 4 Turns

[Image: map_11_cropped.gif]

Thankfully, the colony experiences no power fluctuations this turn - but the jury-rigged solar array is reaching the limits of what can reasonably be expected from it. It could break down for good at any moment.

Mio pulls the tarp from the strange edifice and studies it closely. They note that the pillar's structure, though full of irregular holes, nevertheless shows a great deal of sturdiness. The web of curved struts has material in all the right places to maximize its strength with a minimal use of plasticarbon. Furthermore, the base is well-anchored to the rock with a surprisingly pedestrian set of anchor bolts that could have come right out of the colony's basic design pattern catalogue. Of course, Mio reasons, there are only so many ways to make a functional rock anchor. Even alien intelligences have to grapple with the same basic laws of physics.

Mio also notes that although the pillar and the mold seem at a glance to be similar, up close, they aren't very alike at all. The pillar is built of curved pieces, is asymmetric, and recalls the form of a plant stalk. In fact, some of the arrangements of the woven strands that form it look almost like the branching veins of leaves - close enough so that if they didn't know better, Mio might think the resemblance was deliberate. The mold, on the other hand, is striking because of how organic in form it isn't: Its bristles cut sharp angles between their subdivisions and comb around and between each other into a sort of multilayered grid. The only part of a plant they remind Mio of is the "teeth" on a Venus Flytrap.

Having given the thing a thorough examination, Mio proceeds to dismantle it just as thoroughly. Some of the other colonists would object - but Mio is a practical person. They know that the pursuit of science and discovery is only the colony's second priority. Its first is survival. As far as that goes, although the thing hasn't presented any clear danger yet, the psychological effects alone are worth removing it over: For crying out loud, one of the colonists has been getting nightmares over the last few days. Enough, thinks Mio, is enough. And after all, they still have the blueprint. Since the plasticarbon is set and can't be reused, Mio takes the pieces to the edge of the asteroid and chucks them off.

The colonists consider cutting a patch out of Algae Tank A, but decide the simplest thing to do is just to isolate the entire tank. They can leave it by itself for a little while to observe how the mold behaves over time. In fact, they go ahead and fill the tank back up with nutrient solution. They consider powering it on as well, but they aren't sure they can spare the power.
New Project - Observe Mold Growth (??? Turns)

The colonists seem to have been channeling their nervous energy into making plans and designs. They toss around ideas for bulldozers, for regolith extractors, and for upgrading the landing pod to be mobile. In the short run, they need a lab, so they agree to retrofit one of the uninhabited prefab shelters. That can be done easily enough.
New Project - Convert Shelter to Crude Lab (1 Turn)
It won't have much in the way of equipment, but at least they'll have space to work. They also agree that building a storage crate is a top priority right now, before they run out of room for all the plasticarbon they're producing.
New Project - Build Small Storage Crate (1 Turn)
-5 Plasticarbon
Finally, after some discussion, they agree that a bulldozer might best to be manufactured as a kind of drone, and that a regolith extractor would probably need some kind of bulldozer-like component, so the first order of business is to design a drone factory.
New Project - Design Simple Drone Factory (2 Turns)

One of the colonists also produces a blueprint of a sophisticated multi-level structure that they claim would be an excellent way to conserve space. Mio is very impressed! "We'll have to flesh out the design a bit more and create a pattern for the construction drone to work with," they point out, "and we don't have the resources to build something like this in any case. But maybe we will by the time the design work is finished."
New Project - Design Dual Modular Spaces Tower (5 Turns)

-----
Meanwhile...
"We have to turn back," says the medic. "I'm sorry, but we do. We'll run out of supplies otherwise."
"No," says Shiva.
"There's no choice. We'll all die."
"No."
The medic stops walking. Shiva doesn't, and passes the medic wordlessly. After a moment, the medic jogs after them. "Listen," they say, "it won't do Izvor any good if we find them, just so we can all die together. And that's assuming they're still alive. Which is absurd."
"No," says Shiva. "It isn't."
"Shiva! Would you listen? You're being irrational."
Shiva doesn't stop walking.
"Fine! We'll go home without you!" shouts the medic. They turn their back on Shiva and start retracing their steps.
Five meters back, Tom and the geologist see the medic approaching and meet them halfway.
"Where's Shiva going?" asks Tom.
"To their death, I suppose," says the medic. "We agreed yesterday that we'd start for the colony this morning. And here we are, still going ahead. And Shiva won't listen to a word I say. Just keeps saying 'No' over and over."
"So what do we do?"
"Abandon them." The medic shrugs. "Leave them to their stubbornness. See if I care anymore."
"No," says Tom.
"Well, no," agrees the medic, "of course not. We couldn't. But the only other option is to march them back by force. Or something along those lines. Are you willing to do that?"
"If it's necessary," says Tom. "For the record, I think you're right. We have to go back. But maybe we can reason with them? I don't really want to fight Shiva."
"Maybe you can reason with them. I give up."
The geologist stands beside the others, but says nothing. They stare blankly at the black horizon, their whole body tense.
"We have to go back for this one's sake, too," says the medic, pointing at them. "I don't suppose they've said anything to you since we found the sleeve?"
"No. Not a word."
"Yeah. Me neither."
Tom sighs. "I'll go talk to Shiva," they say. "Just wait here."

When Tom crests the next dune, Shiva's waiting there.
"I can hear everything you guys say, you know," says Shiva. "Like I'm not going to tune into your radio channel when you're all huddled back there without me."
"We can't go on, and you know it," says Tom. "We can't. The medic is right."
"You can't force me to turn back, either."
"Probably not."
Shiva starts walking forward again. Tom follows after a moment.
"The thing is," says Shiva, "I don't want to die either. I don't want you to die. I don't want anyone to die. And I'm not stupid. I know how much food we have. But if you lot would think, or at least listen-"
"Us? Listen?" Tom is suddenly angry. "What about you? Why don't you ever talk? You always have to just go and do your own thing, no matter what-"
"Woah, woah, woah! What's this about?"
"What do you think it's about? Give it a wild guess."
"I haven't done anything!"
"Exactly, you haven't done anything: You didn't communicate! You didn't ask permission, or indicate your intentions, or-"
"I thought we were in agreement that we should keep trying! Other than the medic's inability to lose their anal baton-"
"Not that. It's not even about that."
"The tanks? Are we still on the tanks?" Shiva stops and turns around. "For serious?"
"Yes, for serious! No! I don't know! I just..."
"What?"
"I don't know," says Tom. Everything they want to say is a maelstrom in their head, whirling formlessly. It refuses to condense into a coherent phrase of the sort that they could force out past their lips. "I just... don't..." They fall silent.
"Tom, please. Talk to me. What's up?"
"Nothing," says Tom.
"Clearly not nothing. What is it?"
"It's nothing. I'm sorry. What were you saying before I went off? Something about knowing how much food we have and not wanting to die?"
"I was saying that we can keep going if we use a scouting drone to carry extra supplies out to us from the colony. At least for one more turn. Or maybe we can, and we owe it to Izvor to try. But forget what I was saying - I want to know what you were saying."
Tom turns away. "That's a good plan," they say. "I'll go and tell it to the others."
"Tom!"
Tom starts walking away.
"Tom, it's not a good plan, it's a vague notion. I don't know for sure it'll even work." Shiva hurries after Tom. "You're the only other person in this group with half an ounce of sense. Don't just walk away, talk it through! Argue with me!"
"It's good," says Tom.
"But how close to the colony are we? How much air and food can a drone carry, and how long will it take to track down whoever's still out here? Do we have enough supplies to last until the drone arrives?"
Tom says nothing.
"Tom, I don't like this. There's something you need to get off your chest, and you're not getting it off your chest. Spit it out, would you? Or are you going to wallow in whatever sort of adolescent drama this apparently is? Are you really that mad about a dumb bit of plasticarbon?"
"You're right, that's not it," says Tom.
"Then what?"
"...nothing," says Tom.
"Well, clearly not nothing!" says Shiva, infuriated. "Please, Tom, don't do this to me. Did I insult your heritage? Do you have a crush on me? Have I been snoring in the tent? What is it?"
But Tom doesn't say anything else.

"We'll do it," says the medic.
"Like I was going to let you stop me," says Shiva.
"We'll do it, but on one condition."
"Yeah?"
"You go back," says the medic. "Take the geologist with you. I'll keep going with Tom."
"What? Hey, what? This was my idea!"
"I don't trust you not to get yourself killed," says the medic. "Tom's the sensible one. You're too stubborn to know when to quit."
"But-"
"No buts. Tom and I will keep searching. You go back. Those are my terms. The other option is that we gang up on you and take you with us by force."
"But how do I know you won't just-"
"No buts."
Shiva seethes, but assents to the terms.

In the morning, Shiva and the geologist set off for the colony. Tom and the medic continue sweeping the terrain to the east.

Author's Note:
Spoiler :
Not making a call re the canonocity of Kilozombie's journal entry one way or the other yet, but I approve that it exists. :thumbup:

a52, quite right about the kW needing to be kWT. I'll change that.

THE NUMBERS:
Spoiler :
Supplies:
8 Food (-1/turn)
14 Plasticarbon (+10/turn)

You currently have 2.4 kW of power generated by
Solar Array
Solar Array (Jury-rigged)
Powered:
4 Compact Algae Tanks (1.6 kW)
Unpowered:
Ansible (Send Mode requires 800 W)
1 Compact Scouting Drone (Requires 200 W)
1 Construction Drone (Requires 200 W)
1 Compact Algae Tank (Requires 400 W)
Unused:
800 W

Algae Tanks are generating:
A: Offline for Maintenance
B: Food (4 units/Turn)
C: Plasticarbon (5 units/Turn)
D: Food (4 units/Turn)
E: Plasticarbon (5 units/Turn)

Population:
9/20
Consuming 9 food units/Turn
02-24-2018, 07:36 AM
a52
Comander obviou's

the woods
Right, let's get that extra solar array up.

A hydroponics vat (or several) would be a good step after that, so we can devote more of the algae tanks to plasticarbon.

Have the medic and geologist already covered the entire range of the scouting drone? If not, that's something that Shiva and the geologist could do when they get back.

I'm still confused about that arm.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018, 09:07 AM by a52.)
02-24-2018, 09:06 AM
Numbers

(02-24-2018, 09:06 AM)a52 Wrote: Right, let's get that extra solar array up.

A hydroponics vat (or several) would be a good step after that, so we can devote more of the algae tanks to plasticarbon.

Have the medic and geologist already covered the entire range of the scouting drone? If not, that's something that Shiva and the geologist could do when they get back.

I'm still confused about that arm.
Seconding this, as well as sending a message and a mold sample.

Quote: ARTIST AND GEOLOGIST ARE LEAVING ON DISCRETION OF MEDIC. FOUND ALIEN MOLD IN ALGAE TANK. SENDING MOLD SAMPLE FOR STUDY.

Noot noot doot doot.
02-24-2018, 03:58 PM
LoverIan
Gay Owl

(02-24-2018, 03:58 PM)Numbers Wrote: Message:
Quote: ARTIST AND GEOLOGIST ARE LEAVING ON DISCRETION OF MEDIC. FOUND ALIEN MOLD IN ALGAE TANK. SENDING MOLD SAMPLE FOR STUDY.

I seriously don't think we have the resources right now to send them a mold sample. We still need to determine if the mold is properly alien or not.
I'm vetoing this.

>Have Tank C alternate turns between food and plasticarbon. 1 Food for every 2 Plasticarbon turns.

If and only if the colonists at base can agree on it
>Build another Compact Tank. Set it to Fertilizer for usage on the other tanks (if it would increase yield), ELSE set to plasticarbon

[LIVE] - a fortuna fanventure, like and subscribe to AliCat2020's playthrough of the new DLC
[M]om - a textventure about Notail raising. how will you do =)

02-24-2018, 04:43 PM
SeaWyrm
The Roar of the Surf

"Hey Shiva," says Tom over a private channel, "am I really the sensible one?"

"Despite the fact that the medic thinks so," says Shiva, "yes, I think... you know, you're thoughtful. You don't rush into things. You listen, and you consider. That's sensible." They pause. "So, what about me? Am I the stubborn one?" Shiva's tone isn't serious.

Tom takes it seriously anyway. They think for a moment before answering. "I don't know," they say, "you're usually pretty relaxed. But you do have a defiant streak. I think you're stubborn when it counts. You made it through the colonist program, despite your unusual background. Everyone demanded more of you. But you didn't give up."

"They demanded a lot from all of us."

"Even still."

"Well, hey, thanks," says Shiva. "I'll take that compliment."
02-24-2018, 09:17 PM
smuchmuch

My plans haven't changed much, as I said we still need more power and plasticarbon and that mean dedicating the next three to four turns to it..

This turn:
Build an extra solar array
14-10=4 plasticarbon left

Let's put one person on designing the drone factory and another one on observing the mold.

(If we have another free I'd apreciate staring on the modeular design but it's not a priority by any means since we won't be able to start produce that thing before doens of turns at least, certainely.)

Next turn:
New compact tank on plasticarbon
4+10-10=4 plasticarbon. prodcution goes to 15 platicarbon a turn

Turn+2:
New sollar array, recycle the jurry rigged one
4+15-10+X=9+X
Where X is the plasticarbon from the recycling, I'll assume it will be /at least/ 1 so:
-build one compact tank and put it on food production. (to avoid mood deterioration)

And with that we'd be set for stable power, decent plasticarbon production at 15 per turn and finaly powitive food prodcution

Then I'm suggesting

Turn+3:
Produce one last compact tank, put on plasticarbon (put the production at 20 a turn hurray) and another small crate.

Turn: +4
Many possibilities
I'm going to agree with 'the one who patented nonsense' to create one hydroponic plantation and one tank on fertilizer
However the compact tanks freed (that was on food) will be put on Fuel production

T+5
Create a fuel based generator.

Then we're set on power for a while even if we build power costly building like the radar., Food production from the hydroponics will allow us tnot jsut to be stabble but even to go back to full rations thus improving morale

After this many project can start (in any order):
-Making the Radar (two turns to economize the necessary resource)
-Making the common room
-Build an actual real lab and free back the shelter.
-See what we can do about Drone production
-We can start replacing some of our compact tanks with small tanks. For the same amont of power, two small tanks produce the same amount as three compact's one. Assuming they aren't that much bigger it'll be nice to have bigger production for about the same aera occupied

-------------------------------

Also since we can resonably start thinking about switching from algae tank to hydroponics for food production relatively soon, rather than complelty stop our algae tank food productions, i'd like to sugges this project instead:

*Long life Dried Algae Compact Rations.*
The name pretty much say it all, algae ration and and a few fruit and seeds rations obtained from hydroponics in a proportion of about three to one, crushed, mixed, compacted and vaccuum sealed in an airtight plasticarbon* light packaging that can be conserved for years in any sort of temperature conditin so if in the future we have some kind of durable problems to our hydroponics or tanks, we stillhave emergency rations.

*(seeing as we make our shelters from it, I should damn think the stuff is airtight)

And since we are talking drones fabrication:
*carrying drone*
Once again pretty much what it say on the tin, a simple drone who can follow very simple vocal radio orders or langage sign (like 'stay', 'follow' or 'stop') or be directly radiocontrolled with a decent all terrain-ish locomotion system and a sturdy flatbed back.

I think it would be usefull for expeditions and heavy lifiting, let's people transport stuff, boxes, rations, equipement and even the wounded.

Spoiler: Something like that

[Image: 6QnGuwb.png]..
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 07:21 AM by smuchmuch.)
02-25-2018, 01:58 AM
Justice Watch
Friend from the Cosmos

A City on the Moon
That mule drone also gives me the idea for a drone that could transplant buildings. Dunno how practical that would be at this stage though.

02-25-2018, 11:23 AM
smuchmuch

Spoiler: Something like that ?

[Image: Xb0ikki.png]

(That's also why the modular tower has openable shutters so habitation modules can be taken and lifted around)

It does lack the capacities to actualy dig under buildings but so far given the prefabricated, plastic nature of everyhing we've build and our lck of mining/heavy digging equipement, I assume nothing has fondations per se.
Later we can adapt the design or use other drones in conjonction

Of course we're nowhere near having the resources to build nor needing any equipement that heavy yet but it's fun to think ahead for the sake of it.
02-25-2018, 05:52 PM
SeaWyrm
The Roar of the Surf

"Hey," says Tom to the medic on a different channel, "am I really the sensible one?"

"Don't let it go to your head," says the medic. "I'm comparing you to Shiva, who's a reckless, headstrong, irresponsible, foolish, self-absorbed, thoughtless, repellent, treacherous, shifty, lazy, no-good freeloader who got into the program on a technicality and has neither a sense of personal hygeine-"

"Hey!" says Shiva,

"-nor any respect for others' privacy. Not that I didn't know this whole time that you were eavesdropping."

"Takes one to know one," says Shiva before switching off the channel.

"Anyway, Tom," says the medic, "compared to that, yes, you're sensible."

"Thanks," says Tom. "I think."

"But for what it's worth," adds the medic after a pause, "I'm still hoping against reason that Izvor is alive. And Shiva came up with a way to buy us some time, even if it's... dangerous. So I'll give them that much credit."

"I didn't really ask you about Shiva, though," says Tom. But the medic has already gone back to the main channel.
02-25-2018, 08:02 PM
ICan'tGiveCredit
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

The deepest, most petrifying depths of your local Wal-Mart
we should've compromised in turn 1. instead of getting cattle to eat or basketball player for entertainment, we should have brought the basketball player TO EAT

[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
02-25-2018, 08:06 PM
smuchmuch

And by boiling their blood with enough shugar we could have done some litteral space jam !
02-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Mayu_Zane

Build another algae tank.
03-03-2018, 07:16 AM