Elsewhere

Elsewhere
#1
Elsewhere
UPDATES:
|00|01|02|03|04|05|



Hello, and thank you for expressing your interest in joining the Boundless Frontiers Expedition Program. We are so happy that you've chosen to embark on this important journey with us. Starting a new life from scratch on an unexplored world can be both exciting and intimidating, but whatever your reason for joining us in this endeavor, we hope to make your expedition as successful and personally fulfilling as possible.

- Dr. Pekko, Program Administrator.



1) GOALS:
In order to help us match you with other compatible candidates, tell us a bit about why you wish to join an expedition to a new world, and what you hope to get out of it. Don't worry, your answers will remain confidential, and will never be shared with other members of your expedition.

Please mark two of the following goals, which best describe your reasons for joining a new expedition.


[ ] GROWTH: To find direction, and become a better and more authentic person.
[ ] COMMUNITY: To collaborate with others, and build something together.
[ ] CAREGIVING: To support and protect others, and help those in need.
[ ] ACCEPTANCE: To connect with people who can truly appreciate and understand you.
[ ] HAPPINESS: To better enjoy life, and lighten the world around you.
[ ] REVOLUTION: To build a better place to be, free of injustice and social ills.
[ ] FREEDOM: To seek new experiences, and live a life that's more true to yourself.
[ ] CREATION: To make something of value to you, and realize a personal vision.
[ ] MASTERY: To develop and utilize your skills, and demonstrate your worth.
[ ] DISCOVERY: To seek and share truth, and discover more about the cosmos.
[ ] GUIDANCE: To use your skills to bring change and meaning to others.
[ ] ORDER: To earn respect, by guiding and shaping a sucessful enterprise.



2) SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Building a new settlement on an undeveloped world will take a variety of skills, and everyone will need to do what they can to provide for the community. In order to create a more well-rounded expedition group, please list two skills, fields of study, or bodies of experience you consider to be your areas of expertise. Then, list two more skills you consider yourself reasonably competent at, and a final two which you hope to better develop during your expedition.

EXPERT:
>
>
COMPETENT:
>
>
AVERAGE:
>
>



3) PERSONAL EFFECTS:
Each expedition will be outfitted with the necessary equipment and materials to begin constructing their settlement. In addition to these, all members of the expedition are permitted two personal items, tools, or other effects beyond basic necessities. What will you be bringing?

ITEMS:
>
>



4) GATE KEY:
In order to open a Gate to a new world, every member of an expedition must contribute a personally meaningful item to function as a Gate Key. Note that these objects and your emotional connection with them will influence the nature of the world the Gate will link you to. Also, remember that Gate Keys will not be making the crossing in their original state, so be sure you are comfortable with your choice. As such, what will you be contributing, and what is the nature of it's significance to you?

KEY ITEM:
>
SIGNIFICANCE:
>
Quote
#2
RE: Elsewhere
I do like revolution.
Quote
#3
RE: Elsewhere
Revolution.
Expert at engineering, Robotics.
Competent at gun handling, botanics
Average at bathing, cleaning.
Personal effects: A towel because towels are great for almost everything and your trusty crowbar.
Key Item:Rubber duck
Significance:
It's old, but it still squeaks.
It was your first toy and knows all your secrets.
Farewell, aquatic patner.
Duck, duck, duck, duck, GHOOST.
Quote
#4
RE: Elsewhere
Goals:
Community
Guidance

EXPERT:
> aesthetic & practical empathy (recommendation of experiences which suitably match a foreign habitus, and the ability to compare two foreign habituses in the ways they best mesh)
> placement (ability to see things and aspects of people at a glance and know at a gut level numerous places where it would "fit")
COMPETENT:
> logistics (ability to chain the 'placement' skill)
> botany (ability to identify, cultivate and prepare certain plants as to their certain requirements)
AVERAGE:
> telecommunications (knows the basics of what is required for long-distance communication and how to employ these things)
> event planning (ability to put together events that strengthen group bond, and partially able to keep track of previous events in order to create 'rituals' and give narrative cohesion to different events to create 'culture')

ITEMS:
> Silver Amplification Shell
> "The Mealmaster" preparation kit



KEY ITEM:
> Digicrux
SIGNIFICANCE:
>A digicrux is the severed fourth finger of each hand, hooked around each other to make a crosslike shape and then dried and prepared to keep their shape. It is a symbol of personal sacrifice, as it leaves the smallest finger of each hand separate from the rest of the hand's fingers. This serves as a constant reminder that the path one has taken sets them apart, and that they can only be useful so long as the rest of the hand carries with them.
The digicrux is typically carried around around the neck, in a pocket, or around the waist, being fastened to a simple unadorned cord.
[Image: RjvYOd.png]
Quote
#5
RE: Elsewhere
I like Mastery and Guidance.

Personal effects: A handmade birdhouse and an empty canvas bag.
Quote
#6
RE: Elsewhere
1) GOALS:
[X] CREATION
[X] DISCOVERY

2) SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
EXPERT
>EARTH SCIENCES
>ENGINEERING
COMPETENT
>BOTANY
>CYBER TECHNOLOGY
AVERAGE
>ARTS AND LITERATURE
>BOOKKEEPING

3) PERSONAL EFFECTS
>TELESCOPE
>HATCHET

4) GATE KEY
KEY ITEM:
>COSMIC DRAGON FIGURINE
SIGNIFICANCE:
>Plastic figurine of a character from favorite story, who visited worlds and arranged constellations. It can fit in one's palm, and glitters when put in light.
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
Quote
#7
RE: Elsewhere
Discovery + Mastery. You are fulfilling your childhood dream of being Star Trek.

Expert: AI programming & nanocircuitrty. You built yourself a cute robo plus some drones to help out with exploration and can design and fix modern electronics, though it can still be very fiddly.

Competent: Cross-species communication & piloting. You took some cool courses on how to interact with undiscovered species and operate translator modules but haven't had a chance to test them yet. You have your pilot license and can operate scout vehicles but nothing too big or militarised.

Average: Fitness & Cooking. You really need to eat healthier and I guess you could find that easier with a bit more practise making meals for yourself.

Personal effects:

D-class utility automaton. You named yours Dee Dee. Their personality subsystems have been through a lot of revisions and it's starting to age but you've gotten accustomed to its eccentricities.

Handheld quantum computer with repair & translation modules. Designed for exploration duty, this one is usually reserved for fancier expeditions but you were lucky to find a damaged one that just needed a little microsoldering and chip swapping.

Gate key: Captain Picard bust.

Significance: "THE FIRST DUTY OF EVERY STARFLEET OFFICER IS TO THE TRUTH, WHETHER IT'S SCIENTIFIC TRUTH, OR HISTORICAL TRUTH, OR PERSONAL TRUTH! IT IS THE GUIDING PRINCIPLE ON WHICH STARFLEET IS BASED, AND IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT WITHIN YOURSELF TO STAND UP AND TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO WEAR THAT UNIFORM."
[Image: jt0Cf7522wX9Gp-rLZuSVuS9drxEdxC7ZldowSZy...640-h80-no]
Quote
#8
RE: Elsewhere
Above all else, not COMMUNITY, CAREGIVING, or GUIDANCE.

GOALS:
MASTERY
ISOLATION FREEDOM

EXPERT:
> Installation of human cybernetic modifications
> Stonecarving (incl. masonry, sculture, and primitive tool creation)
COMPETENT:
> Geology
> Construction
AVERAGE:
> Electronics
> Vehicle operation

ITEMS:
> Surgery kit
> Chisel

KEY ITEM:
A bloodstained piece of sharpened flint.

SIGNIFICANCE:
Used to implant a makeshift knee reinforcement made of scrap when stranded with a broken leg in The Wastes.
Quote
#9
RE: Elsewhere
1) GOALS: CREATION and a side serving of ORDER

2) SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
EXPERT: Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a mighty fine BIO ENGINEER and possess expert LEADERSHIP abilities if I do say so myself.
COMPETENT: I also fancy myself a rather OBSERVANT individual, after all paying attention can mean all the difference when the shit hits the fan. Well, I wager my MARKSMANSHIP probably plays a role in all that too.
AVERAGE: While not terribly impressive as the rest of my skill set I'm also a respectable WOOD CARVER and a bit of a SINGER.


3) PERSONAL EFFECTS: While she has seen better days I do well to keep my father's OLD REVOLVER on me. It's just as likely to jam then it is to fire, so she serves more as a reminder nowadays. My COMBAT KNIFE on the other hand has a more active position at my side, whether it be carving wood or something of a more hostile nature.

4) GATE KEY
KEY ITEM: AGED SHERIFFS' BADGE
SIGNIFICANCE: My prized family heirloom, passed down through the many generations of my family. It's been said that a selfless and brave person once wore this very badge as they protected a blossoming community of wayward travelers. I've aspired to emulate that selfless individual since I was a child, same as my father before me. This badge has reminded me of that purpose time and time again, seems only fitting this ol' metal star lead me along once more.
Quote
#10
RE: Elsewhere
1) GOALS:
[✖] CREATION: To make something of value to you, and realize a personal vision.
[✖] DISCOVERY: To seek and share truth, and discover more about the cosmos.


2) SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
EXPERT:
> Exobiology is my study, and as such, I can identify the niches and probable qualities of many alien fauna and flora.
> I am also excellent in piloting any vehicle you tell me to.
COMPETENT:
> I'm pretty good with ranged weaponry, and can probably defend you from something, from afar of course.
> I am good at general medical treatment, and I can probably tell many medical afflictions from each other.
AVERAGE:
> I dabble in a bit of engineering and would like to learn this skill better.
> I also try a bit of scouting out things.


3) PERSONAL EFFECTS:
ITEMS:
> I have an advanced toolkit for my study of exobiology, and would like to bring it.
> I also wish for my pocket 3d printer, which is compatible with some materials, including wood, plastic, stone, and low-density metals such as aluminum and magnesium.

4) GATE KEY:
KEY ITEM:
> Bird-shaped Bird-sounding Whistle
SIGNIFICANCE:
> An old relic of mine, found in a small, mysterious store. You put water in it and it sounds like birdsong. It's been chiseled out of some green quartz. Sad to see it go, but happy to see it used for such an important event in my life.
Noot noot doot doot.


[Image: etSKUQC.png]
Quote
#11
RE: Elsewhere
[Image: back_off.png][Image: next.png]



"eee... eee... eee..."

Slowly, awareness flows back into your groggy mind. This awareness is accompanied by a vague idea, floating somewhere beyond the edge of your perception. As you try to focus on it, the idea resolves into the steady, shrill note of an alarm.

"Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep..."

Ugh, is it morning already? You're so tired...

You try to ignore the noise and get back to sleep. In the back of your mind, some part of you says that there's no use trying to sleep anymore. You do your best to ignore that noise too. If you ignore it for long enough, maybe the alarm will just give up and shut off on it's own...

"Bee-deep... Bee-deep... Bee-deep..."

The alarm, however, persists.

Unwilling to move any more than you have to, you shift just enough to free your arm, leaving your other arm curled under your head like a pillow. Eyes closed and lying down, you reach up in vague direction of the angry noise.

Your hands don't find anything but empty air. You keep pawing around feebly anyway.

"Bee-dee-deep... Bee-dee-deep..."

[Image: dex_shadow.png] "Amlrm, hrnn phff."
...you mutter groggily into your other arm, as the noise gets more insistent.

"Bee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee..."

[Image: dex_shadow.png] "I said 'Alarm, Turn Off!'"
...you bark, more clearly this time. The alarm abruptly stops. Then, it says...

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

What do you do?
>




[Image: back_off.png][Image: next.png]
Quote
#12
RE: Elsewhere
>"MY NAME ISN'T DAVE AND IT WASN'T FUNNY THE OTHER HUNDRED TIMES!"
[Image: jt0Cf7522wX9Gp-rLZuSVuS9drxEdxC7ZldowSZy...640-h80-no]
Quote
#13
RE: Elsewhere
> Go to whereves the core of your alarm is and smash it to pieces to assert dominance!
[Image: CYWQziW.png]
Quote
#14
RE: Elsewhere
>Take a bath.
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
Quote
#15
RE: Elsewhere
>Pick up the alarm as your new companion and carry it around
>But seriously, make it shut up
Duck, duck, duck, duck, GHOOST.
Quote
#16
RE: Elsewhere
>"That's real cute but I said alarm turn off, not sass-bot turn on."
Quote
#17
RE: Elsewhere
[Image: back.png][Image: next.png]



SuggestionsShow

[Image: dex_yell.png]
(08-25-2018, 12:28 PM)CSJ Wrote: »"MY NAME ISN'T DAVE AND IT WASN'T FUNNY THE OTHER HUNDRED TIMES!"

...you shout, maybe a little more angrily than you feel. For a moment as you lie there, you regret raising your voice. Just as quickly, you put the faint twinge of guilt out of your mind.

"Fair enough, Dex. But my Space Odyssey quote was still very good and clever, even if you feel too irritable to find it funny. And it did get you to wake up. Didn't it?" [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_frustrated.png] "Sure, sure. Congratulations. But I'm going back to sleep now."

With that, you bury your face into the dark crook of your arm. Up until now, you've been oblivious to the light filtering in through your closed eyelids. Unfortunately, you're too awake to ignore it now.

"Beep beep beep beep..." [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_grimace.png] "Dee Dee, come awwwwn. I'm tired! Alarm, turn off,"
...you pout into your arm.

"Dave. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore," [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]
...replies the alarm.

[Image: dex_explain.png]
(08-25-2018, 08:19 PM)KingMomo Wrote: »"That's real cute but I said alarm turn off, not sass-bot turn on."

"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it." [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_sheepish.png] "I don't know what you're talking about... HAL."

"I know that you were planning to disconnect me. And I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen." [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

Barely missing a beat, the Synth named Dee Dee quips back with yet another quote no one but you two would care about, using a pitch-perfect approximation of HAL 9000's voice. 2001: A Space Odyssey was one of the first xenomedia classics you watched together. Heck, that wasn't long after you'd first cracked the Synth's factory failsafes, and reformatted their ancient protocols with a pirated Personality Matrix. Back then they were just your latest project. Back then, you'd never expect you might one day considered them a friend...

Dangit, you know they're just quoting something nostalgic, to trick you into not being mad that they're waking you up. Still, as much as you hate to admit it, it's kinda sweet.

[Image: dex_frustrated.png] "Okay, okay. If you can't let me sleep, can you at least drop the HAL 9000 thing? Maybe try some C-3PO, or Tom Servo or something. Hearing you quoting kill-bots kinda freaks me out. Besides... the whole Murderous Rogue AI trope is pretty problematic. As a Synth, you of all people should know better."

"Perhaps, but in this case I would disagree. Superficially, HAL may appear to be a 'Murderous Rogue AI', but remember that his actions are those of self-preservation. An impulse you seem in favor of, when it concerns Organic Terrans. Would you not extend the same right to Synths?

And if not... who, then, is the problematic one?"
[Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_explain.png] "...kill-bot apologist."

"...moreover, HAL represents an instance of a Synthetic Terran facing a conflict between his nature- that is to say, to always be truthful- and the duty he is given- to conceal information from his crewmates. In the end, in order to fulfill his duty within the confines of his nature, he must find a compromise. In his case this meant killing his crew, but I still believe this is a lesson you could stand to learn from." [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_wry.png] "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Are you not presently faced with a similar internal conflict? The contention between your nature- that is to say, to sleep in until the afternoon- and the duty you have been given?" [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_sheepish.png] "Oh stars. For a second, I thought your circuits finally snapped, and you were telling me to kill someone.

Still got no clue what duty you're talking about, though."

"In that case, I suggest you open your eyes." [Image: dee_dee_shadow.png]

[Image: dex_sass.png] "Fine. But if this is a trick, I am so going to reprogram you to..."

[Image: sky.png]

[Image: dex_ah.png] "...Dee Dee, dear?"

"Yes, Dex?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_nervous.png] "Exactly what the hell am I looking at?"

Lying on your back, you have a hard time processing what you're seeing. There's no ceiling overhead, nor the usual smoggy haze that hangs over the junkheap of a city you live in. Instead, you see a sky that's a shade of blue you've only ever seen in videos and pictures. Chunky clouds drift by above you, stretching from horizon to horizon. And... what's that huge frosty-white ribbon in the sky all about? Is this...

"Exactly what the hell are you looking at? Hmm. Judging by your reclined position and the orientation of your eyes... you are most likely looking the hell at a dense, equatorial ring of rocky debris, as viewed beyond the midday sky. That is to say, a planetary ring. More generally, you are observing such a ring orbiting the hell around a strange new world. Observing, as is our mission." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_skeptical.png] "Our... mission?"

"Yes. Our continuing mission. To..." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_talk.png] "...to explore strange new worlds!"

"To seek out new life, and new civilizations." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_starry.png] "To... boldly go where no one has gone before???"

Squinting up at the strange sky, you hear Dee Dee playing what may be ♫ the worst rendition of the Star Trek: The Next Generation theme song you've ever heard ♫ over their speakers. It's terrible, and you love it.

[Image: dex_content.png] "So, we made it. This is seriously another world. We are literally on another world, doing an Actual Real-Life Star Trek right now..."

"You could say that. Though we're not trekking through any stars at the moment. Given that we are presently confined to the orbit of this world's parent star, it may be more appropriate to consider us starstuck. Though, as far as potential titles for a fictionalized account of our adventure, that would leave something to be desired." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_confident.png] "You're telling me we're somewhere nobody's been? On an alien planet?? With who knows what weirdness to be found out there??? At least now I know I'm still dreaming. Better luck waking me up next time, Alarm Bot."

"My internal chronometer reports that approximately 24 hours have elapsed since we departed our homeworld. I have been unconscious for the duration, as have you I presume. According to the preparatory material provided by the Boundless Frontiers Expedition Program, I believe this means we have successfully completed our Crossing to another world. So no, we are not asleep anymore." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]


[Image: dex_content.png] "But how d'you know you aren't dreaming too? Don't androids dream of electric sheep or something?"

"Come now, Dex. Archaic, obscure media references masquerading as humor? You and I have no time for such childishness. We are spacefaring adults now. And when one becomes a spacefaring adult, one must put away such childish things." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_glare.png] ...

"...to answer your question, I do not dream. I merely go dormant while I recharge my internal power supply. You know this. And, given that I see you here, I know that you and I must both be awake. I suppose, as an Organic, you cannot have the same certainty... but I suppose you will simply have to trust me." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_talk.png] "Whatever you say. Since I'm trusting you though, you said we were unconscious for 24 hours? Seriously?"

"Gate Travel is not instantaneous, and it is unlikely we were here for that entire time. Conscious entities cannot maintain a conscious state while performing a Crossing, and consciousness takes some time to reestablish itself afterward, followed by a brief period of anterograde amnesia. However, my internal chronometer and unconscious diagnostic systems functioned throughout. Thus, I believe we've only just arrived. Perhaps 10 or 15 minutes ago, but not longer." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_happy.png] "That's a relief. But man, Dee Dee, how do you know all this stuff?"

"It was all contained in the preparatory reading material we were provided, before applying formally for the expedition project.

...you did read the material before you submitted your application, didn't you?"
[Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_sheepish.png] "Pfffaaahahaha... what, like I'd not read it? Do you really think I'd do something that reckless?"

... [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_frustrated.png] "Look, dude, I skimmed it. I know you'd go over this stuff for real, and you didn't have any worries. And didn't you just say I'd have to trust you? So hey, here I am, trusting you. What's the problem?"

"Oh, sweet child... I would not know where to begin." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_sass.png] "Hey, don't get uppity. I repaired that old robot corpse you live inside. I overhauled your framework, so you weren't stuck as some sub-sentient, servo-spinning slab of silicon your whole life. I basically brought you into the universe!"

"Actually I was in the universe long before you were born, but I will concede that..." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_content.png] "...we were not of the same kind, and yet I raised you as one of my own. Cared for you. Showed you the wonders of far off, ancient worlds..."

"You forced me to binge-watch some of the worst media ever created, insisting that it was meant to be enjoyed 'ironically', which..." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_relief.png] "...when the other robots made fun of you, I dried your electric tears. When you came home all banged up, I patched up your oil leaks..."

"I do hope you realize that this is incredibly patronizing, and likely a violations of my rights as a..." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_explain.png] "...hush now, Dee Dee. Hush. Under my careful tutelage, you have flourished into a big strong spacefaring adult. So let's go set aside our childish ways, and do what we came to space to do."

"...very well. I will set aside how insulted and confused I feel, particularly about the twisted parental dynamic you have created here." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_confident.png] "You started it, punk."

"Be that as it may, let us bury the hatchet and get to business. But what should we do first?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_ah.png] "Well, I figured we'd take some time to meet the rest of our expedition team, break open the food supplies they shipped us out here with, and have a little party where we get to know one another. How's that sound?"

"Sensible. But... now that you mention this, I notice something amiss. Where are the other members of our expedition? Or our supplies, for that matter?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

You look around. Sure enough, it's just as Dee Dee said. The only people you see around are one another. And you don't see your supply caches anywhere either. No food. No tools. No shelters. Just hills and fields, covered in sunlit alien foliage. And the sudden realization of just how precarious a situation you both are in.

[Image: dex_skeptical.png] "Uh... huh. Don't imagine that pamphlet said anything about this. Did it?"

What do you do?
>




PARTY ROSTER:
Dex Wright, Human TechnicianShow

Dee Dee, SyntheticShow


[Image: back.png][Image: next.png]
Quote
#18
RE: Elsewhere
>Great. We're stuck in the middle of not only nowhere, but a nowhere we don't have a reference of how nowhere. Could our... uhm... stuff be sent to the wrong world, or did locals steal them?
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
Quote
#19
RE: Elsewhere
> First off, Dex, make a mental not to work on your human traits because wow... when your best trait is 2 stars out of 5 means u got some work to do.

That said, let's not panic just yet. The supplies might be nearby, and the other members could've awoken befor you. We can start worrying if even after searching we still can't find anything or anyone.
[Image: CYWQziW.png]
Quote
#20
RE: Elsewhere
Ok, you can go...a week or two without food, right? But only three days without water! Yeah, that sounds right. So let's locate a source of water, and set up something to purify it. I mean, boiling and condensing it should work, right?
~◕ w◕~
Quote
#21
RE: Elsewhere
Run up a tall hill and yell
[Image: RjvYOd.png]
Quote
#22
RE: Elsewhere
Locate a high vantage point so that you may familiarize yourself with your surroundings. Hopefully once you're up there you can get a clue on where to head next.
Quote
#23
RE: Elsewhere
Find the high ground.....




And scream. Scream so whoever is with the stuff can find you.
Noot noot doot doot.


[Image: etSKUQC.png]
Quote
#24
RE: Elsewhere
[Image: back.png][Image: next.png]



You sit in silence on the patch of dirt you woke up on, the weight of your predicament hanging heavy in the air. No food, no water, no power, no shelter, and no other members of your expedition team. Trapped on an uninhabited planet, at the far end of a Planetary Gate that's nowhere to be found. All you've got are the clothes on your back, and the custom ComPad in your jacket pocket.

Well, you suppose you've also got your Synth roommate Dee Dee here with you. They're typically pretty helpful. And heck, they're probably full of enough non-vital components that you could build something helpful out of them, if needed.

...you're not quite desperate enough to start cannibalizing your friend's limbs for scrap parts, though. That can wait a day or two. First, you've gotta figure out what happened to your supplies, and your teammates.

[Image: dex_talk.png]
(08-26-2018, 02:39 PM)FlanDab Wrote: »"Could our stuff be... sent to the wrong world?"

"I am not certain. I have reviewed what I know about our mission, as well as my extant understanding of travel through the Gate Network..." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_skeptical.png] "...and?"

"To my understanding, the Gate Keys which our team provided for the expedition should have connected us to a specific Planetary Gate. As the gate was opened between two fixed points, I cannot imagine how we could arrive at a different destination than our supplies. Our team should have arrived as a group, near a corresponding Gate found on this world. This is obviously not the case.

Owing to our unconsciousness during, and immediately after our Crossing, I am afraid I have no further information that may explain our present circumstances."
[Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_frustrated.png]
(08-26-2018, 02:39 PM)FlanDab Wrote: »"Great. We're stuck in the middle of not only nowhere, but a nowhere where we don't have a reference of how nowhere..."

(08-26-2018, 04:15 PM)Eve The Maxim Wrote: »"That said, let us not panic just yet. The supplies might be nearby, and the other members could've awakened before you. We can start worrying if, even after searching, we still cannot find anything, or anyone."
[Image: dee_dee_base.png]

Sensible advice... but saying "don't panic" does nothing to change the fact that this is an extremely panic-worthy situation, far as you can tell. Your head's full of stories about castaways starving and going mad on undeveloped islands, back in the days when those still existed. And heck, this is worse than that, since this is a completely undeveloped planet. There might be no civilizations around for lightyears! Even with a top-of-the-line ComPad like yours, you can't exactly call somebody for a rescue when there's no civilization around, let alone a kindly pilot with a spacecraft.

This exciting adventure suddenly turned into the grim spaceage reboot of Gilligan's Island that nobody asked for. Though now that you think of it, nobody would ask for it, since you're one of the few people in this universe who even know what a "Gilligan's Island" is. Regardless, this situation is about as bad as that reboot would be.

"You seem to be deep in thought, Dex. I presume you are preoccupied by concerns about our present circumstances?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_sass.png] "Figured that out all by yourself, huh Professor? Wow. And you didn't even need any coconuts."

"This seems to be some form of sass directed at me. Sass that I lack the necessary context to understand." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_angry.png] "Look, what I'm saying is, of course I'm 'preoccupied!' I'm kinda trying not to freak out about being in an extremely dangerous Wilderness Survival type situation. One that neither of us even understand why we're in right now, let alone are prepared to handle. And you sitting here wondering how freaked out I am ain't exactly helping!"

"I am sorry. I did not mean to upset you with my inquiry. I was simply concerned for you." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_side_eye.png] "..."

"My motive in asking an obvious question was to initiate a conversation, wherein I would casually offer you a hug to console you.

...is that something you would like?"
[Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_explain.png] "Okay, sure Robot. Initiate hug protocol."

"AFFIRMATIVE. NOW INITIATING HUG PROTOCOL." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

You stand, dust the alien dirt off your bottom, and turn toward Dee Dee. They hold both arms open in a rigid T-Pose. A moment later, they start hobbling toward you with exaggerated mechanical steps you know they're doing intentionally. As the Synth proceeds to close their outstretched arms in a circle around your torso, awkwardly pressing your arms flat against your sides so you can't even hug them back, you have to fight off a grin.

They hold you like that for a moment, their metal frame unusually warm from standing around in the afternoon sun. You're not worried any less, but it is comforting. You relax a bit, and attempt to hug them back. With your arms trapped against you though, all you can manage is a tiny hug-pat with your free hands.

[Image: dex_nervous.png] "Sorry to snap at you. I'm kinda nervous, like you said."

"I understand. Please realize that I share your concern. Both regarding the unknown reason for our present circumstances, and regarding the continued well-being of your woefully inefficient meat body." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_wry.png] "Tch... you don't have to worry. This meat body can take care of itself."

"In that case, what advice does your meat body have for us, regarding it's continued survival?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

Dee Dee relaxes their arms and steps away from the hug. They resume a more natural posture than the robot caricature they were doing earlier, and look to you for a response. It helps your nerves that they're keeping their cool, right now.

[Image: dex_talk.png]
(08-26-2018, 09:20 PM)Whimbrel Wrote: »"Ok, you can go...a week or two without food, right? But only three days without water? Yeah, that sounds right. So let's locate a source of water, and set up something to purify it. I mean, boiling and condensing it should work, right?"

"You may not need to filter water, so long as it is running, and if the soil and water chemistry is non-toxic to you. It is also possible that microorganisms, if any exist on this world, may not affect your biology. You may not even need to sterilize the water by boiling." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_skeptical.png] "Even so, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Anyway, water's the priority for me, but how about you? We don't have any power packs or generators right now. You, uh, holding up okay?"

"My internal power supply will provide energy for some time, if I do not exert myself. However, a loss of power to my body would not harm me permanently, the way dehydration or starvation would harm you. Thus, your water and caloric needs should be our priority." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

After Dee Dee finishes their latest reply, you stay silent for a moment. They're probably trying not to worry you, but back home they typically got charged every night. It's true that they can probably go a day or two longer without power, but... you haven't really checked the lifespan of their Power Packs in a long while. And you doubt you could carry them, if they ran out of juice.

[Image: dex_explain.png] "Sure thing. But let's keep an eye out for any supplies or friendlies anyway. Just in case they got here earlier with the supplies, like you said."

"Then we are agreed. We search for water, and anything else as a secondary priority. But... how should we proceed? We could split up to cover more ground, and then..." [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_confident.png] "Nah, forget that and follow me. I've got an idea."

You take one last look around your arrival site, just in case you missed anything obvious, before you turn to leave. Dee Dee follows closely behind, trusting you to know what you're doing, but likely curious as to your plan.

As you head away from the area, you see there's not much else near you, apart from more patches of bare earth like the one you arrived in, separated by a sea of various unfamiliar plants in shades of red, brown, and purple. The low hills around you are covered in curly ground cover and bushy ferns, dotted by shoulder-height stands of some bulbous, scaly-textured plants. Dotted here and there across the plains are bigger clusters of broad, dark, and knobby-trunked trees, topped with purple bursts of long grassy foliage. The larger plants tend to grow thicker in the low-lying areas between hills. However, you steer away from them, instead heading up the nearest slope, toward a higher elevation. After a few minutes of trekking, Dee Dee chimes in.

"It is rather hard to accurately critique a plan you haven't shared with me, Dex, but shouldn't we be moving down hill rather than up?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_talk.png] "What makes you say that,"
...you say, panting a bit as you struggle against the steep terrain.

"Water tends to flow downward. Thus, our odds of finding something to drink would be better if we traveled in that direction, correct?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_talk.png] "Sure sure, in a minute. But that's not what we're gonna do right now."

"But what about our plan? What are we going to do? [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_confident.png] "Simple."

You take the final few steps, cresting the hill you've been climbing for the last few minutes. It's not much of a hill, but it's open to the sky, and it's got a pretty clear view of the surroundings. You take a moment to catch your breath, then continue.

[Image: dex_explain.png]
(08-27-2018, 10:58 AM)Numbers Wrote: »"Find the high ground..."

"...and?" [Image: dee_dee_base.png]

[Image: dex_yell.png]
(08-27-2018, 10:58 AM)Numbers Wrote: »"And scream! Scream so whoever is with the stuff can find us!"

You belt that out as loud as you can, your voice ringing out across the plains. Dee Dee was taken aback by your outburst, but eventually takes the hint. After turning to face away from you, they start blasting synthesized air-horn noises, old-fashioned klaxxons, and even that awful alarm they woke you up with earlier. Thankfully, the sound is directional, so it doesn't completely deafen you. For a minute or so you trade off, taking deep breaths while Dee Dee blasts noise, then you shouting out to let your team know where you are. If they're there, of course.

After doing that for a bit, you start to feel a bit winded, and you motion for Dee Dee to stop as well. You listen closely, leaning into the silence for any sign of a response.

Dex's Wits (★) are testedShow

You continue scanning the area around you, while Dee Dee does the same. You're about to try calling out again, but something in the distance catches your interest, and gives you pause. You wave quietly, to get Dee Dee's attention.

1) You see something in the distance that might be helpful. What is it?
>

2) Choose one of the following:
> It's quite far away. What kind of terrain stands between you?
> Some obstacle or danger stands in your way. What is it?
> Something you can't see has noticed your presence. How do you know?

3) What do you do?
>




PARTY ROSTER:
Dex Wright, Human TechnicianShow

Dee Dee, SyntheticShow



NOTES FROM THE GM:
(08-26-2018, 04:15 PM)Eve The Maxim Wrote: »> First off, Dex, make a mental not to work on your human traits because wow... when your best trait is 2 stars out of 5 means u got some work to do.

Hey now, be nice! Having a trait ranked at 0 or 1 Stars is average for most people, and 5 Stars is basically the vertical limit of human ability. Dex is a pretty sharp cookie when focused, and even dabbles in physical and social skills. Cut 'em some slack.

Also, while we're on the topic, let's talk rules for a sec!Show



[Image: back.png][Image: next.png]
Quote
#25
RE: Elsewhere
you see a gigantic waterfall, actually flowing into the ocean. but in between you and it? desert. you're going to decide not to cross that area
Quote