Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Aviary (birds birds)
Wheat
 RE: Aviary (birds birds)

today's featured bird is the american redstart

[Image: midlifecrisisbird.png]

that is all for today

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 10:36 AM by Wheat.)
02-14-2013 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wheat

Now some finches

all of these birds show sexual dimorphism, aka females and males have different colorings. Usually it's the male with brighter colorings while females have a duller coloring - a theory for why this is: 'cause males with the most impressive featherings get the best mates since healthy bright feathers are a sign that they have regular access to a food source; meanwhile, females with the most inconspicuous colorings are the least likely to be noticed by predators and natural selection happened. That's a popular theory but who knows for sure anyway here are American Goldfinches.

[Image: finchmunch.gif]
During the winter, both males and females are a drab olive color. After their late winter molting, males are a bright gold for summer while females stay olivine. I'll upload a picture of a bright gold goldfinch when spring comes.

[Image: funch2.png]
sleepyfinch

[Image: funch4.png]

[Image: funches8.png]

[Image: funches3.png]

[Image: lfinchhop.gif]
leapfroggin' finches
leapfinchins

while a downy woodpecker nods up in the distance. A downy woodpecker is also sexually dimorphic and also is easily confused with a hairy woodpecker but I will save woodpeckers for another day because today is still for finches. So instead of woodpeckers you
get my state's state bird, and also like twenty other states' state bird: the Northern Cardinal.

[Image: cardinal1.png]
Cardinals are reserved but confident in getting seeds at food sources - as in, they don't piss themselves and run like some smaller birds but they don't bark 'n' hiss at everything like some sparrows or jays.

[Image: cardinal4.png]

[Image: cardinal2.png]

[Image: cardinal3.png]

Those were the males all bright and fire red. Female cardinals aren't completely drab - they've got neat neon beaks.

[Image: cardinal5.png]
and sometimes punk hairdos

[Image: cardinal6.png]

[Image: cardinal7.png]

[Image: cardinal8.png]

[Image: cokecardinal.png]
I can quit any time I want

[Image: cardinalchickadee.png]
okay maybe that I want to sneak up on that black-capped chickadee and stab it for its money is a sign that I have a problem

Lastly here is the house finch. They are super common even though they were only in the Western US up until 50ish years ago when some guy brought a bunch from New York to sell as pets called "hollywood finches" but that was illegal and he released them and they fucked and spread all o'er (well not all o'er there's a strip of the US that's as wide as the Dakotas from north to south un-housefinched)

Here's a couple having a brunch date - female on the left, male on the right. The female house finch is one of the top contenders for "Most Anonymous Bird."

[Image: finchdate.gif]

The male from the front, because you couldn't see it in any of the views above:
[Image: fuanxch.png]

Spoiler :
bonus dove

[Image: bonusdove.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 03:40 PM by Wheat.)
02-22-2013 03:28 PM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

A+ post, would perch upon again

Sexual dimorphism is actually really interesting! It stems from the fact that to be biologically successful, an animal has to survive, but more importantly it has to reproduce. Living to a respectable twenty-five years or whatever won't help a passerine shit if a weird quirk of his assorted glands means he constantly smells like cats.

The other force at play is the uneven effort put in by males and females to produce offspring, which even starts at the sperm-and-egg level (eggs are basically a pre-packaged somatic cell with all the apparatus necessary (mitochondria, endoplasmic reticula, nuclear envelope, probably some other junk), other than missing half the DNA. Sperm, by comparison, are a torpedo with a data packet strapped to the front rather than explosives, which is why males can constantly produce new sperm and a female enters adulthood with all the eggs she's ever gonna have packed away in her ovaries.

At a higher level, females have to gather food and nourish the offspring while they develop, and in many cases will continue to do so after the offspring are born. (You could always have better-developed babies so they can fend for their own damn selves, but a female will have to invest more resources in the gestational stage to do so). Males might be evolutionarily predisposed to help, but that's not a given across the animal kingdom. The net result of all this is that in most (vertebrate) cases (but also in a lot of other ones), females are the choosier sex.

If females make the ultimate decision about whose sperm (and constituent genetic code) they pass on into the next generation, then clearly they're looking for good genes, because why waste your time raising substandard stock, right? Seeing as there is no easy pee-and-see test for "good genes" or "bad genes", raunchy redpolls will have to use other cues to figure out who is the damn finest of them all. Visual cues are used as an index of both "good traits that help you survive", but also "a good appearance that'll give the kids similar reproductive success".

This interplay between choosing for survivability and baby-making capacity is what causes things like male peafowl tails! The tail has no bloody use to help the peacock camouflage or not get caught in nasty places, but if his kids look as good as he does he's perceived to produce more offspring over his lifespan (the live fast, die young strategy). The alternative hypothesis is that a big stupid tail or conspicuous colouring demonstrates your good genes that help you survive despite the extra pressure. The above reason is why symmetry is sexy - asymmetry is caused by external forces (parasites, injury, disease) and maintaining your symmetry in the face of all this indicates strong genes to fight parasites/disease.

peace to the unsung peace to the martyrs | i'm johnny rotten appleseed
clouds is shaky love | broke as hell but i got a bunch of ringtones
eyes blood red bruise aubergine | Sue took something now Sue doesn't sleep | saint average, day in the life of
staying warm in arctic blizzard | that's my battle 'til I get inanimate | woke up in the noon smelling doom and death | out the house, great outdoors
Feeling homesick no matter where I is | Gonna beg steal and borrow 'til we live like kings
02-22-2013 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Infrared
cuet anime grils

I am learning things about birds and it's fun.

I don't get to see a lot of fancy birds here, i bet there are some around the mountains but i never go anywhere near them. There's a bunch of pigeons and those super common house finches though.

[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
02-22-2013 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aves
Perpetually confused

[Image: birdfriend_small.JPG]

This poor dumb baby flew into our sliding glass window and bonked herself silly a while back. Luckily she was fine about fifteen minutes later, but I briefly held the coveted Birdfriend title.

A couple weeks later we found a bird of the same species trapped in one of our bird feeders. She'd somehow gotten the little hatch you have to lift to pour in the food up, but couldn't figure out how to get back out when it closed behind her.
03-20-2013 06:55 AM
Infrared
cuet anime grils

Aw poor birdie it must have panicked.

On my way to work I've seen some interesting birds in a small park I walk past by every day and every time I'm like "oh birdies maybe I should take a picture or something... Eh". I saw some small crows, some smallish dove like birds that we call tortolitas and I've never found their English name except for the scientific one and one time I saw an interesting blue chested crow like bird it was pretty neat.
Next time I'm gonna posts some pictures instead of just writing about them.

03-20-2013 07:19 AM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

eyes blood red bruise aubergine | Sue took something now Sue doesn't sleep | saint average, day in the life of
staying warm in arctic blizzard | that's my battle 'til I get inanimate | woke up in the noon smelling doom and death | out the house, great outdoors
Feeling homesick no matter where I is | Gonna beg steal and borrow 'til we live like kings
03-20-2013 07:18 PM
Infrared
cuet anime grils

Smarter than the average bird.

03-20-2013 11:33 PM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

More kakapics:

[Image: 8585692770_a7e738c840_c.jpg]

Not the same one.

03-24-2013 11:02 AM
Sadgi
it's me,

here are some birds from my cousin's house in canberra

[Image: 1y9Lwt8.jpg]
[Image: KRotZN6.jpg]
[Image: 9EgAgWI.jpg]
04-06-2013 06:19 AM
weirdee
HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

what's this guy hanging around outside every day

[Image: whatsthatbird_zps5df320e9.png]
04-25-2013 02:03 AM
Wheat

Looks like either this or this. If you live on the south californian coast and it's been there since decemberish, it'll probably be the first one (look at the range maps); if you live anywhere else it'll be an American Golden Plover.

04-25-2013 03:02 AM
Wheat

You can feed hummingbirds with a hummingbird feeder and a mixture of one part sugar, four parts water. Replace it every few days in hot weather so it doesn't get gross.

If you don't just want to settle for natural seeds, you can buy seed. Pre-packaged bird seed mixes are mostly cheap grain that'll attract sparrows. Many stores will sell bags of black oil sunflower seeds and most songbirds love that. Also, you can try suet (it's rendered animal fat) and put that out in a suet basket--woodpeckers like that. Many birds love nuts. But not salted nuts. Birds have trouble processing salt.
Lastly, set out jam or jellies or fresh fruit halves (like orange halves) for summer birds.

You can also set out water for birds; birds love drinking/bathing in water. (Though some birds take dust baths instead)

Lastly, you can set out nest boxes/birdhouses for birds. Some specific types of birds nest in the old cavities in trees that woodpeckers have drilled out years before but have moved on from. Since people and their building of things and agriculting of things have resulted in less trees, there's often a scarcity of nesting sites so putting a few nest boxes up helps bring some birds to your locale yeeeeear round. For non-cavity-nesters, you can set out a bunch of nesting material around your place like wood shavings and twigs and then wet some muddy spots in your yard so birds can stick all those things together as they build nests. Here's how to make and take care of nest boxes.
Also here's most of this advice gone into more detail .

I made some nest boxes out of old baskets and mailing tubes:

Spoiler :
[Image: borshpouse.png]
[Image: bordhaus.png]
[Image: skkt.png]
many of them are ill-designed and I'm finding out that some are too small for birds to nest in

Unrelated to building nestboxes:
Spoiler :
[Image: dovenest.gif]
oh what's this zoom and enhance

[Image: phot1796.jpg]

fatbird nest!

[Image: phot1795.jpg]

[Image: phot1792.jpg]

this dove nest later got attacked by some kind of jay or grackle so it wasn't a successful nest nature is pretty rude sometimes but at least they were there for the time being

And a muscovy duck
[Image: phot1838.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 06:37 PM by Wheat.)
04-25-2013 06:09 PM
SleepingOrange
Mirror Universe Evil Twin

Lots of birds today!

Okay, a few. A few birds today.

Common ones.

Shut up.

Spoiler :
[Image: yellowcap_zps5666499a.jpeg]

First up is a golden-crowned sparrow. He was very wary of me through the whole shoot.

Spoiler :
Then there's an evening grosbeak!

[Image: grosbeak_zpscee794ab.jpeg]

"Quit takin' pictures of me."

Spoiler :
[Image: groserbeak_zps7b5623ae.jpeg]

"I mean it. Get outta here!"

Spoiler :
[Image: grosestbeak_zps208b0bc0.jpeg]

"... Fuckin' kids."

Spoiler :
[Image: finchparty_zpsbadce075.jpeg]

American finch party! This gaudy fellow gets alllll (both) the fine ladies.

Spoiler :
[Image: finchpartytwoelectricboogaloo_zps8eb1c0a2.jpeg]

These juvenile males on the other hand are finding the club a disappointing cloacafest.

Spoiler :
[Image: starling_zps93ccb375.jpeg]

Just a starling, but I thought it was a funny picture. Where's the face certificate, Obirda?

Spoiler :
[Image: grosbeaks_zps8b4a4877.jpeg]

Get out of here, Cassin's finch! This is grosbeak territory.

Interesting to note: evening grosbeaks show strong sexual dimorphism, so all of the ones I saw today were male. This is unusual, since they usually travel everywhere in mated male-female pairs. Has society's decay brought us so low that even the birds are living in sin? Write your congressman today.

Spoiler :
But enough of that. I've long felt that this thread is too exclusionary. Why only focus on half the story? This thread has plenty of birds, so now it needs some...

[Image: beehive_zps17bf1472.jpeg]

Bees!

Spoiler :

Beeees!

Spoiler :
[Image: beeondandelion_zps63f70356.jpeg]

Bees covered in pollen!

Spoiler :
[Image: beeonwisteria_zps7ecc7a26.jpeg]

Bees may not be the wisteria's preferred pollinator, but that just means they have to work harder.

Spoiler :
[Image: upsidedownbee_zpse9afef35.jpeg]

Go home, bee, you're drunk.

Spoiler :
[Image: yesthisisabee_zps22fdbc47.jpeg]

This is a yellow-and-black bug on a flower, so it's a bee. QEB.

Spoiler :
Speaking of, here's the wisteria that appears in a couple of these pictures.

[Image: wisteria_zpsa57a335e.jpeg]

It's a pretty reasonable plant.

05-01-2013 02:27 AM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

Bees! <3

05-01-2013 02:41 AM
ICan'tGiveCredit
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

so yeah this has turned from an aviary to an apiary

any objections? Keeping in mind Schazer has a very sharp stabbing implement right over there.
05-01-2013 03:02 AM
Gnauga

On behalf of the sanctity of the sacred aviary thread, I object!
I challenge all heretics and blasphemers to a duel
of drop.notch.net!

WINNER TAKES THREAD.

[Image: xwldX.gif]
05-01-2013 03:17 AM
ICan'tGiveCredit
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

Gnauga shouldn't we be going on duelingnetwork.com for this Melonspa

the theme is Winged-beast type monsters

but Schazer gets to use insects

mostly because she reminds me of this

also my computer won't let me download Unity web player so i can't go on drop.notch.net :/
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 03:40 AM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
05-01-2013 03:39 AM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

I cannot say I approve of this chicanery (chick-aviary? Chickenry?), considering you're going up against a registered seagull, apiarist, and a lady whose name literally means "bird". We will crush you with an iron wing and an indomitable exoskeleton is what I'm saying.

I suggest ducking out of this while you've stilt got a chance.

05-01-2013 03:54 AM
BRPXQZME
See if I don’t!

Ah yes, seeds.

My mother wanted some deulkkae in our garden and took pains to obtain the plant. Specifically, she wanted the seeds. Now, the leaves are nice, too, but we can only go through so many; they have a fairly strong taste and personally I am not so fond of them. These plants have a pretty decent seed yield (with such a low germination rate, they kind of need it).

The problem with cultivating this plant in northern Virginia, it seems, is that birds will not leave any seeds for you. The day they were ready for harvest is the day they were eaten.

I don’t know if Mom and Dad will try this little experiment again this year, but if they do, they really ought to have a camera ready, because photos are all they’ll get out of it.

sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
05-01-2013 04:30 AM
Wheat

some posts I was going to reply to earlier but did not

(03-20-2013 06:55 AM)Aves Wrote:  [Image: birdfriend_small.JPG]

This poor dumb baby flew into our sliding glass window and bonked herself silly a while back. Luckily she was fine about fifteen minutes later, but I briefly held the coveted Birdfriend title.

Aww what a dumb little junco

[Image: juncobob.gif]

Juncos have a rigid social hierarchy and will chase away other "lower" juncos they see. Juncos hit windows often because they see their reflection in glass and think it's some strange new junco they don't know and they fly at it just to get a face full of glass.
When birds attack windows, it's rarely fatal. the bad bird-hitting-windows strikes are when they're migrating/in full flight and don't see a thing of glass and hit it at full speed.

[Image: juncoborb.gif]

Juncos spend the winter in the US and lower canada and spend their summers in northern canada. They should probably be leaving soon, if they haven't already.

(03-20-2013 07:19 AM)Ed Wrote:  Aw poor birdie it must have panicked.

On my way to work I've seen some interesting birds in a small park I walk past by every day and every time I'm like "oh birdies maybe I should take a picture or something... Eh". I saw some small crows, some smallish dove like birds that we call tortolitas and I've never found their English name except for the scientific one and one time I saw an interesting blue chested crow like bird it was pretty neat.
Next time I'm gonna posts some pictures instead of just writing about them.

You could always bring some sunflower seeds or nuts with you and feed them from hand. Many birds in parks will be used to people, as Schazer's kakapo videos will show, and you can feed them right out of your hand, like so:

birds included: tufted timouse

black capped chickadee
Spoiler :
[Image: chickahand.png]

white-breasted nuthatch
[Image: nutlook.gif]

(05-01-2013 03:17 AM)Gnauga Wrote:  On behalf of the sanctity of the sacred aviary thread

I know you're probably jokin' but just in case you aren't (you said about 'don't talk about rocks' before) thread sanctity/thread strict on topic onlyness is for squires and is in the same league of importance as the concepts of 'thread succession,' 'post count' and 'posting persona'. That league is 'puke league.'

A more fun thing to do with threads is talk about whatever comes up naturally and if it comes up as things do in conversations, see how you can vaguely relate a thing to another thing ("birds... and the bees? hmm? hmm? any takers??"). Remember, a real world analog would be thread=conversation, and conversations go on tangents all the time. And the more you concentrate on strict adherence and being proper, the less natural and diverse and fun a conversation will be.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 03:28 PM by Wheat.)
05-01-2013 03:27 PM
Gnauga

Yeah I just repeat my jokes a lot

A bee came by and startled my AP chem class while we were playing VSEPR Hold 'Em.

[Image: xwldX.gif]
05-01-2013 08:21 PM
Lankie
that one guy, that does that one thing.

So there's a Blackbird with a knackered wing in our back garden. I saw it this morning milling around the place then it sorta hopped off into the neighbors garden. I thought nothing of it at the time but skip 7 hours forward to the now and it's still here. Apparently it was also hanging around yesterday, the 'rents say it's a regular user of our birdbath (though to be honest I question their ability to recognize it as the same bird). I'm a little worried about it considering there's like eleventy billion cats living around here, including our own.
06-24-2013 06:16 PM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

Birds birds birds

I went to Travis Wetlands (again) with obliging gentleman friend; remembered to take my camera this time. (incredihuge images under spoilers yo)

Spoiler :
[Image: 9303529797_6b88f59622_b.jpg]

Scaups are my favourite kind of duck. They dive and forage on the river/pond/swampbed! I was making frustrated noises for over twenty minutes trying to video them diving.

[Image: 9303529035_f3747cf418_z.jpg]Little Shags/Little Pied Cormorants. Their plumage is quite variable, but you can always tell a shag by the way it rests with its wings outstretched as if it's airing them out.

[Image: 9306307164_880ae2c11d_z.jpg]
Waxeyes aren't swamp birds, but the replanting around the wetlands features lots of cabbage trees. I saw a couple of flocks of these feeding on whatever fruit/seeds they could still scrounge in midwinter.

[Image: 9306299816_706ca33b05_c.jpg]
Probably my best photo I took that day. Pukekos/purple swamphens are a pretty common sight around Christchurch; they forage on grass so they were one of a handful of species that actively benefited from European settlement.

[Image: 9306300224_5c479924aa_z.jpg]
You look that sucker in the (sadly not-as-well-photographed) face and tell it its grandfather wasn't a dinosaur.

We went to the beach afterward! By which I mean we went to the pier because neither of us really wanted to trek a whole lot of sand everywhere for the rest of the day. For some reason I took, like, forty photos of the two types of gull that frequent the area.

[Image: 9303511931_0b2b19c826_z.jpg]

[Image: 9306292944_0ffcb39469_z.jpg]

[Image: 9306297006_fa792247ef_z.jpg]

[Image: 9303511181_c65da1fe0d_z.jpg]

Red-billed gulls are the smaller seabird. Southern black-backed gulls (aka Kelp Gulls, Domincan Gulls, or Karoro) look positively majestic by comparison, which is probably in part because they don't squabble over discarded food.

[Image: 9303503325_2d66f127a4_z.jpg]

[Image: 9303504659_70112daa7b_z.jpg]

These two obliged me slowly inching towards them for ten minutes or so. I could hear a girl behind me asking her mother what kind of bird that was - I really should've clarified that it wasn't an albatross and I'm the kind to be easily fixated by otherwise-mundane things, but I had a photographic golden hour to be making the most of.

[Image: 9306289256_6bdd83a641_z.jpg]
Burd feet

[Image: 9303502981_379f4cbe56_z.jpg]
Uncomfortably close for everyone involved. The bright red spot on the underside is to encourage nestlings to tap it, invoking a regurgitatory reflex in the parent. Fish dinners!

07-19-2013 03:05 AM
Crowstone
squee~

yayyyy schazer i love all your pictures~

[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
07-19-2013 10:50 AM