Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

State of the Scraper
Pinary
 State of the Scraper
The Most Present

North America
As many of you know, a number of people have, for whatever reason, recently decided to come over to Eagle Time as a supplement to (or replacement for) MSPA. (Welcome, people!) One of the more common requests is a method for bringing over forum adventures or games from MSPA. Many of us put quite a bit of time into MSPAFAs, Grand Battles, and numerous other things, and we don't want to lose them just because some admin decides that they're not brand-supporting enough and gives them the axe.

That's where Technology comes in. I've been hard at work in my lab, cooking up a brew that will help soothe the pain of manual transfer, and I have a plan: Read threads off of MSPA and shove them bodily into Eagle Time's database.

The software to make this happen is coming along nicely. I've got much of it working, and there are just a few spots left that need to be filled in before it's ready for testing and deployment.

One of the largest missing pieces? You. In order to bring threads over, they need to be posted by an account, and I'm sure you'd love to have posts you made there be linked to your account here. In order to do that, I need your MSPA username, your Eagle Time username, and your Eagle Time User ID (which is the number in the database that's more permanently tied to you than your username).

To gather that information, I've created a form (LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE FORM). All you have to do is go to it, stick in the information, and go have some pizza. (Pizza is neither necessary nor provided.) With any luck, I'll have the rest of the software worked out in the next few days, testing can begin early next week, and deployment can begin a few days after that.

If you have any questions or thoughts, you can get them to me here, in IRC, via PM, or by IPoAC. I'll get to them as soon as I'm not neck-deep in database documentation and being sociable with my relatives!
03-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Schazer
 RE: State of the Scraper
Patron Saint of Normcore

Nippon
Yaaaay this is exciting and excellent and I give my thanks again for your hard work on this!
03-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Godbot
The year was outer space.

The future.
Okay, but are you sure we shouldn't be calling this the Eagle Claw?
03-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Mythee
Komodo Mc.Intergalactic Warfare

In that case, mayhaps even the Eagle's Talon!

Pinary, you are incredible and your work is magnificent. 8D
03-30-2013, 03:27 AM
Coldblooded
Ankylosaurus

Center of East Midwest
Is there anything preventing someone from copying over a thread that they didn't personally start? (Or to a completely different persons' ET account for that matter?)
03-30-2013, 03:40 AM
Pinary
The Most Present

North America
The only thing preventing people from running wild with the tool and scraping the entirety of MSPA over here will be self-restraint. Well, that and a lack of access.

(Being an administrator over here is necessary for the actual performing of the scrape. The process will be "Give Pinary or Schazer link(s) to the topic(s) you want scraped(s), they will put the link in the machine and it will go.")
03-30-2013, 03:50 AM
Wheat

(03-30-2013, 02:53 AM)Godbot Wrote: Okay, but are you sure we shouldn't be calling this the Eagle Claw?

Noooooooo, then pinary will lose reelection to someone who turns the place into brand country

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
03-30-2013, 05:18 AM
AgentBlue
that escalated quickly

Sunshine, Lollipops and Diabetes
[Submeeted :3]
03-30-2013, 05:26 AM
ICan'tGiveCredit
Demonic Kitchen Appliance

The deepest, most petrifying depths of your local Wal-Mart
Submitt'd.

Pinary, pizza is absolutely necessary for the grieving. Lynch: Pinary for not providing the pizza, especially since it's my birthday on the day the games subforum is axed. Melonspa
03-30-2013, 03:55 PM
KittenEater
big dumb whatever

cool planet
submitty
yeahhhhh

pizza time
03-31-2013, 05:41 AM
Isoraķatheð
Anadai Mištšú

Hong Kong
Hrm. I don't know whether or not to do so because I post extremely sparingly in that particular board.

韋力澹、杜薇花,《亞奧美思特大傳》人物兩「茄呢啡」獨魯人也。
韋為紫血,杜為藍血,二人關係生平不詳。惟只現一回則見光死於熊熊烈火中矣。
03-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Gatr
uncomfortably muscular

The only thing I'm confused by is what will happen to posts made by people that are there but not here.

Like, will there be proxy accounts or just you masquerading as them? And if there are indeed mock accounts for those people, what if those people later decide to come to Eagle Time?

[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
04-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Pinary
The Most Present

North America
The accounts OTTO and GBCE are going to be handed any posts not made by people registered in the scraper. All scraped posts will say who originally made them (there's going to be a standard first line that says all the useful details). Due to the way things work, unless there's a really, really fantastic reason to allocate someone their posts later, it won't be done. It'll involve dumb code at that point, and it's not likely to be worth it.
04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Doodley
Grabbity Schqueeze

Ohioland
Submitted. Thanks for this.

Will I be able to update my adventure both here and at the MSPAForums? Part of me wants to high tail it the fuck outta there as soon as possible, part of me wants to stick around for the MSPAFA awards.

[Image: tumblr.png] [Image: signature.gif] [Image: sig.gif]
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 02:45 PM by Doodley.)
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Solaris
Lonely Rolling Star

Imagine Cucumber
that thing you described has in fact happened
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Infrared
cuet anime grils