This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
There are tumblrs for everything nowadays; it's almost like it's as popular as myspace!
[Image: RjvYOd.png]
I miss Time4Trubbish so much ;A;
Guys guys guys

Dino Run SE's free to download this weekend! I played this waaaay too much when it was a flash browser game, but never got round to buying the non-browser version. They're apparently making it free to acquire because they released a soundtrack? I'm not sure how that works, but I'm definitely not complaining.
guys

I'm so fucked

and all tese song erlate to me

life is great :minonion:
hee hee hee hee
I just went back to last night's logs to see if you did any drunktalking
it was funny
So apparently someone at my school made Terezi fanart for a Graphic Design (or something) class

I am not sure how to feel about this Doip

( am i using doip right )
I am guilty of doing Homestuck fanart for a class assignment >___> Mainly because it was easier drawing the trolls than coming up with my own characters to embody the zodiac.
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
Pyp showed up on IRC at 3am grumpy, I askded him a dumb question, and this happened.

Spoilered for long and Crying Eagle
SpoilerShow

And then some letters from viewers:
SpoilerShow

The Statute on Invisible Limitations:
SpoilerShow
Schazer Wrote:Pyp showed up on IRC at 3am grumpy, I askded him a dumb question, and this happened.
I had so much fun. Minion
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
That is the greatest thing I have read this month
[Image: 76561197978639938.png]
[youtube]ZiEjs7deHL4[/youtube]

<shadowPhoenix> god I'm hungry
<shadowPhoenix> that video just worsened it
<shadowPhoenix> (and NO innuendo there)
that... is just a little more than uncomfortable

let's watch it again
Superfrequency Wrote:Oh christ this forum counts the number of edits to a post

this is going to be embarrassing

quoting this post so you can't edit it
"Women are like men, except when you see 'em, you say WHOA! BACK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Ray Romano puts down the microphone, drinks from his glass of Faygo 60/40 disguised as water disguised as a clear malt beverage, paces around the stage a few times and casts a deadpan gaze at the camera which veers right, instead hitting an overweight woman in the audience. She smiles at Ray, teeth rounded down to gravestone-like stubs from years of gnashing at various gravels and sediments. Pica will do that to a person. Ray lets his eyes float upwards like grimy buoys bobbing on a long-abandoned pond's surface as he momentarily examines his soul. He shudders and races to grab the microphone back up.
"Next on my depressing PBS-only comedy special, I talk about a recent experience with my children at the Discovery Zone. Man, what a time that was."
Apparently me improvising is popular! So here is a little bit more.

SpoilerShow

Also a bit of Schazer chiming in that is funny but not fitting with THE MORE YOU KNOW SPECIAL KIDS EDITION

SpoilerShow
oh man I am so glad this is a thing now I never have to MSPAFA again.
[Image: 8cWB]
I can't be the only one who thinks their bellies look like faces right?
I mean a lot of bellies do, but these more than any other.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
:O *can never unsee*
Hey it's Donatello on the right
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Darnit Woffles and Ed

You have tagteamed me like pros
So I am taking a creative writing class and the next project is to write a short story. The only requirements are that it has to be less than 5 pages and can't be genre writing. One thing he's been saying a lot has been to write about characters rather than events, or that you can have a very mundane thing (guy goes to lowes to buy parts for a fence) that makes an awesome story because of the characters. So I decided I want to write about a subtly racist guy, because I find racism fascinating. I figured I'd write aabout him and the "protagonist" meeting on the first day of class and he comments on all the asian people in the class in a way that makes it incredibly obvious that he's slightly racist.

And I realized. The more I flesh out this character the more he looks like douchetacular Z
If one of the first things he does when meeting new people is comment on how everyone is asian then he's not subtly racist, he's just overtly racist. Painfully obvious is the opposite of subtle.

Subtle racism is conveyed through slight actions--for instance, wary eying of three minorities together, or slightly stepping back when someone of a different race goes to talk to them for "personal space," or for indirect allusions to group behavior instead of just having a slip of the tongue about those asians or making assumptions based on stereotyping. For instance, say one of the Asians says they want to be a teacher, and the protagonist automatically says in his head, "he doesn't look like the kind of person you'd see as a math teacher."

Subtle racism is what goes on with institutional racism, and it's what most of racism is. A subtle racist is less likely to talk about it in public due to self-conscientiousness, but more likely to support and defend the catches and traps set up by institutional racism inherent in socioeconomic systems. For instance, a subtle racist would defend the practice of redlining by banks by saying, "well, if people in those areas have a history for decades of not paying on their loans, you can't really blame the banks!" That way sets a historical precedent and blames the victims of redlinings for something they cannot help--well, if it happened before, it's gotta happen again! Sorry, you're on your own. This train of thought exists because it feels much more justified by the person saying it when someone else questions it or puts it to scrutiny.

They're also likely to substitute words and phrases when wanting to express racist things, like saying "this country's going to hell because of everybody asking for entitlements or welfare queens." It's an unquantifiable statement, and the group "people who ask for entitlements" or "welfare queens" is typically code for "poor people, usually in inner cities" (but they cannot express that statement).

Summary of the above: subtle racism is skirting the issue in a way to make it seem like a secondary motivation to your actions, while still supporting racist ideas in a way that makes it seem more justifiable and reasonable (and less irrational) if someone were to put your actions to scrutiny.

Douchetacular Z was not racist; he was incredibly grating and self-aggrandizing of internet accomplishments (I'm on NEWGROUNDS guys, I almost made top weeklies) and he espoused conspiracy theories in the middle of class. Racism is an Asshole phenomenon, not a Douchebagged phenomenon.
Wheat Wrote:indirect allusions to group behavior

this is the thing I'm thinking about. When you first brought up DZ I had an image of this guy in one of my class who did exactly those things you said. And I associate him with the kind of people who often notice that "this school is full of asians" and then make racial jokes or comments based on stereotyping. And what interests me is where people define the line between stereotyping and racism.
Okay it has been a long time since DZ was mentioned anywhere.
He was someone that wheat had the displeasure of interacting with in real life, right?
We wanna hear the story of DZ uncle Wheat!
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]