Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

The Eagle Time Book Club: Now reading Whatever
Schazer
 The Eagle Time Book Club: Now reading Whatever
Patron Saint of Normcore

Fun idea that spawned on IRC after I mentioned Godbot having Catch 22 as required reading for writing COFCA's shenanigans.

Basically, we'll talk about books we've read. The catch is, the thread's focus will shift from fortnight to fortnight/month to month/whatever - as we all choose a book to read at the same time. After we've all been given ample time to read it, we can have a big ol' discussion with people who have been guaranteed to read the books we have - without worrying about spoilers!

People should suggest books to bring to the book club, then we'll choose one with a poll or something. Then we'll pick a date from which people can start talking about it in this thread, under the assumption they read the whole thing through.

When suggesting a book, give some indication of how long it'll take to read, and how easy it would be to find for your average college student. A bit of preamble as well if it's not on your average list of "50 books to read before you die" type list.

Books we've read:
-Catch-22: Now reading.

peace to the unsung peace to the martyrs | i'm johnny rotten appleseed
clouds is shaky love | broke as hell but i got a bunch of ringtones
eyes blood red bruise aubergine | Sue took something now Sue doesn't sleep | saint average, day in the life of
woke up in the noon smelling doom and death | out the house, great outdoors
staying warm in arctic blizzard | that's my battle 'til I get inanimate | still up in the same clothes living like a gameshow
08-21-2011 01:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pinary
 Re: The Eagle Time Book Club: For Bibiliobirdophiles
The Most Present

I'm definitely into this idea, and I'll brazenly suggest Robert Heinlein's "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" with little to no preamble.
08-21-2011 01:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elpie

Moon is a Harsh Mistress is great. Heinlein is adorably idiosyncratic, and when he's actually being smart and compelling it makes for some really good-ass books. Mistress is probably my favorite thing he's written.

I'll throw in Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut, cause Vonnegut was a thing I was discussing, and Cat's Cradle is a thing I was going to read.

Other things I was planning on reading soon include: the Jerry Cornelius quartet by Michael Moorcock; a bunch of Philip K. Dick books; a whoooooooole lot of comics. But I'll leave Cat's Cradle as my hyper-official Recommend.

Arson | Serial kidnapping | Reckless endangerment | Disturbing the peace | Crimes against nature | Welfare fraud | Grandmastering while intoxicated
08-21-2011 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TimeothyHour

I suggest Earth Abides by George R. Stewart. It's a really great post-apocalypse novel that no one knows about, but I don't know how easy it is to find places, and I've already read it (although a reread would be nice). As a last resort, I suppose people could find a copy via the internet (this applies to other books, too, I suppose).
08-21-2011 01:18 AM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

Oh, yeah. When suggesting books, drop an indication of how easy it is to pick up a copy (maybe use your college/university catalogue as a benchmark for that?) and how long it'll take to read.

I'd personally be keen for some Vonnegut, although by the sound of things in IRC I'd be best off finding and reading Slaughterhouse Five in my own time.

I'm very keen to have Joseph Heller's Catch-22 as my suggestion - I don't care if over half of us have read it already, the other half still need to and I'd be down for having a good natter about it afterward. Easy enough to find (I think?) and a week of sold reading, tops. A fortnight should be plenty of time if you sit down once a day and truck through it, I reckon.

eyes blood red bruise aubergine | Sue took something now Sue doesn't sleep | saint average, day in the life of
staying warm in arctic blizzard | that's my battle 'til I get inanimate | still up in the same clothes living like a gameshow
08-21-2011 01:21 AM
Pick Yer Poison
ELBOW ROCKET

I'm not sure how easy it'll be for me to find most of these books but you know what I'll have some incentive to try so let's do this.

As for my contribution to books to read, I'm gonna go with A Wizard Of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. It is the tale of a young wizard, Ged, who makes a mistake and then finds out how difficult it is to fix. According to elpie it is "everywhere" despite being rather old. I think that a week would be plenty of time to read it, but that's not counting daily interruptions such as eating, sleeping, school, etc.

[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
08-21-2011 01:37 AM
Sanzh
breaking the law

Voting for Cat's Cradle so I can get started on a Vonnegut binge.

| Tumblr | Experiment Horror | Technician Alchemist Progenitor Tree | Armor Paladin |
08-21-2011 01:38 AM
Mirdini

Very in for this~
08-21-2011 03:39 AM
MalkyTop

Could totally try this out. Maybe. Sort of.
08-21-2011 04:07 AM
Jovian
 Re: The Eagle Time Book Club: Now reading Catch-22
Murdering Twinmaker

oh man I'm going to express my enthusiasm for this as Catch-22 is my favorite book!!

Cat's Cradle is another great choice though.

[Image: sig10.gif]
08-21-2011 11:53 PM
Wheat

I'd like to suggest reading something by Charles Bukowski after that, he's Angry Misantrhopic Old Man Author incarnate and the books are short

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
08-22-2011 12:04 AM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

Just finished Vonnegut's Galapagos; definitely gonna have to track down a copy of Slaughterhouse Five, now.

Also I forgot how delicious books smell. I have a twenty-year old copy of Hocus Pocus and maybe it's just 1am but it's taking most of my self-control to not lick the damn thing.

Unrelatedly: How's everyone's quests for finding a copy of Catch-22 going?

08-26-2011 01:04 PM
Ixcaliber
Merchant Queen of the Space Consortium

Managed to pick up a copy from my local library. Now I have to find the time to reread it.

[Image: ixchive_zpsmzpjaksv.png][Image: Jorbannernew.png][Image: Fentinybanner2_zpsd8493b8b.png][Image: Helbanner_zpsb6559a65.png][Image: Abanner.png][Image: triangle_zpsspgnq401.png][Image: sistene_zpsko2snjpw.png]
08-26-2011 01:40 PM
AgentBlue
that escalated quickly

!!! Just managed to get my library card back from the library so a search for Catch-22 is defs in order Happymelon

Let me out Stay safe inside | You're not kind | Ethics are overrated | What is life | Men are pigs | I'm so drunk | EAT ME NOW | Click clack fuck | Is this right Only money matters | Change my clothes | Little sun rising | One cat's future | Wax and wane | Dark times ahead
----
So very British / But then again | People are machines Machines are people | Oh hai there | There's no time
----
Superhero 1920s noir | Multigenre Half-Life | Changing the future | Command line interface
Tu ventire felix? | Clockwork for eternity | Explosions in spacetime
08-26-2011 02:27 PM
Pick Yer Poison
ELBOW ROCKET

Picked up Catch-22 from the library, I'm currently reading it.

08-27-2011 06:26 PM
Woffles
O toreador, l'amour, l'amour t'attend!

I am so in for this. Now to scourge the earth for a copy of Catch-22.

quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
08-29-2011 04:19 PM
Pick Yer Poison
ELBOW ROCKET

Major Major Major Major is credit to team.

08-30-2011 04:48 AM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

Oh hey we're a few days out from our alloted three weeks. How's everyone been going with this? Need some extra time? (Answer: I sure do!) I could quite conceivably devour the whole damn book in one night after I finish this essay, but I did kind of have plans tonight.

09-08-2011 12:34 AM
Wheat

I'm about 3/5ths through it.

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
09-08-2011 05:05 AM
AgentBlue
that escalated quickly

I...have yet to find a copy in this exam madness >< I'll prolly just not check this thread come the due date and come back once I've read it Meloncholy

Let me out Stay safe inside | You're not kind | Ethics are overrated | What is life | Men are pigs | I'm so drunk | EAT ME NOW | Click clack fuck | Is this right Only money matters | Change my clothes | Little sun rising | One cat's future | Wax and wane | Dark times ahead
----
So very British / But then again | People are machines Machines are people | Oh hai there | There's no time
----
Superhero 1920s noir | Multigenre Half-Life | Changing the future | Command line interface
09-08-2011 07:32 AM
Pick Yer Poison
ELBOW ROCKET

I need more time. I'm at about the same point Wheat is. D:

09-09-2011 02:07 PM
Godbot
The year was outer space.

I haven't had any luck finding a copy. I'll probably just read it on my own time.
09-09-2011 09:45 PM
Schazer
Patron Saint of Normcore

More time's good. Another week for everyone, then? We'll now get to nakking on September 17.

09-10-2011 03:16 AM
AgentBlue
that escalated quickly

Excellent! I just ordered a copy off the Book Depository ^^

----
----
09-10-2011 08:46 AM
Pick Yer Poison
ELBOW ROCKET

I finished the book a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot but felt the ending dropped off a bit. How's everyone else doing?

09-22-2011 10:16 PM