Eagle TimeRegisterLogin

Great Haven - Be Honest
Author Message
Wheat
 RE: Great Haven - Approach

Offline
Posts: 5,693
Joined: Jul 2011
Semi-hide, in a way that looks like you are shy, but don't mind being caught. Because you want to show off your snowhiir.

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
08-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
a52
 RE: Great Haven - Approach
Comander obviou's

Offline
Posts: 3,677
Joined: Jan 2016
the woods
>Be brave and walk up to them.
08-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Justice Watch
 RE: Great Haven - Introductions
Friend from the Cosmos

Offline
Posts: 1,448
Joined: Oct 2014
A City on the Moon
(08-26-2016, 11:32 AM)Wheat Wrote: Semi-hide, in a way that looks like you are shy, but don't mind being caught.

[Image: szWnMUr.png]

...You don't really want to show your face, but you do want Maya to recognize it. There's silence for a while... she looks like her mind is other places. The large eye underneath the cloak narrows its stare, as if annoyed that you continued to allow yourself to exist in their presence, but fortunately for you, Maya figures out who she was looking at before they berate you more.

[Image: qTX9L4d.png]

"Oh gosh, Raoul! That's no cutpurse!" She reaches one of her hands into her scarf, and produces your bag, fixed up with a new strap. "I was hoping to finish this while we were still travelling, but... here it is!" It fits you better than it did before; she must have been paying attention to that on the wagon. Aaand.. as you look inside, you find some of that colorful fruit. How kind of her.

Maya pulls you onto her shoulder, and you hug to the side of her head. "I'm sorry, Deline, this is... someone I met while traveling here."

"...No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have misjudged," you hear the green figure say.

[Image: 1C6VgiD.png]

"It's rude of me to talk like that in front of a friend of a friend, and behind a mask, no less. It's hard to see out of that thing, anyways." Between her voice and her face, you're having a hard time reading the emotions on this person. It's been a while since you've met one of these, after all. You've forgotten the name of their kind; they certainly look the part of 'dangerous magic user' that you do remember, though.

You nod slowly, and she continues to speak. "...Is this what you've taken to doing these days? Helping those down on their luck?"

Maya hesitates, and stands up, lifting you up onto her shoulder. "...No. I mean... not really. It's just been escorting caravans and doing heavy lifting."

"That can't be good for your back."

"...I suppose it isn't, but... it's just not what I'm looking to do right now. Thanks again for the offer. Besides, I have all the money I need now."

[Image: bDP7Xbo.png]

Maya sighs and adjusts her scarf. "...Or I will, as soon as my driver shows up here with payment, and gives me the okay on grabbing the rest of my things."

The cloaked girl frowns. "Well, if you're not going to come work, then will you at least see the show tonight? I'll even be able to get you in for free. Both of you."

There's some more silence, before Maya speaks up again. "...I guess there's no reason not to. I'm only leaving tomorrow."

You've met some very generous, or perhaps very desperate people in your time. It's often difficult to tell which is which.

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
12-27-2016, 05:46 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Great Haven - Introductions

Offline
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 2016
>Ask her name. What show is she talking about?

Oh hey this continues again!

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
12-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Justice Watch
 RE: Great Haven - Payroll
Friend from the Cosmos

Offline
Posts: 1,448
Joined: Oct 2014
A City on the Moon
(12-28-2016, 08:41 PM)tronn Wrote: >Ask her name. What show is she talking about?

[Image: LfETiKp.png]

You ask the woman (her name turns out to be Magdeline, shortened to Deline) what kind of show she works on. She looks surprised for a split second, but then she looks at you, and remembers something. "...Ah. It's a tournament. Every week, there's a fight underneath the clock tower - scripted and choreographed, of course. A lot of rich folks come from all over the world to see it. My character is known as 'Cyclops,' and I'm featured tonight." Knowing enough about the real Cyclopes that roam the deeper forests, the name certainly sounds intimidating enough. Deline shows off the black fabric mask that gives her the appearance of having one large eye. "It's too early in the day for it, but I still like wearing this cloak part of the costume; it's nice in this chilly weather we've been having. Wearing the whole thing just makes me... stand out. I enjoy recognition, but not crowds. ...Either way, it's good advertisement when people see me with my hood up."

The three of you talk for a while, discussing the show and the town's various attractions. It turns out that the show starts at sundown; sunrise was only a few hours ago, so you have some time to kill.

[Image: xqzDDvz.png]

After a bit, the driver arrives... and with a huge sack of money. You've never seen anything like it. It's larger than you!

"Well," he explains, "I was feeling generous, since I know Maya will need a lot of money to raise her family. That, and Mort happens to be a wanted con man, so there's no way I'm going to pay him. We found the burn marks under his visor so he must have been smuggling it under there. He wasn't even using space magic. For a recognized criminal, that seems... pretty stupid."

Maya concurs. "...You're probably right about that."

The driver goes on. "Either way... the caravan is in the lot now, and you can go grab your things. You can split that between Raoul and yourself however you decide, since I can't think of anyone in more need of it. And Raoul..." He turns to you.

[Image: snSgq0v.png]

"I wish you only the best on your travels, and I hope to never meet you again."

With that, he disappears into the crowd behind him.

[Image: MxJEcLc.png]

"...Huh," Deline says, standing behind you. "That was pretty neat."

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM by Justice Watch.)
01-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Great Haven - Payroll

Offline
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 2016
>Haha money! Gamble it all on the tournament, that's a solid investment.

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
01-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Thegreath3rpa
 RE: Great Haven - Payroll
The one and Only Blank person

Offline
Posts: 18
Joined: Dec 2016
In the bottom depth's of hell
>Bite a single gold coin like it's chocolate,It's been a long time since you've seen money!
01-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Justice Watch
 RE: Great Haven - Payroll
Friend from the Cosmos

Offline
Posts: 1,448
Joined: Oct 2014
A City on the Moon
(01-02-2017, 10:37 PM)Thegreath3rpa Wrote: >Bite a single gold coin like it's chocolate,It's been a long time since you've seen money!

[Image: cUQJCWq.png]

Maya and Deline make their way for the caravan, and you ride along. You ask Maya for one of the coins in the bag, and you and give it a testing bite... It doesn't bend, or anything of the sort. You don't think you've even seen this denomination before, either.

[Image: wAMf5wJ.png]

You've only ever seen brown and white coins. These ones are very colorful. You're not even sure what this is supposed to depict. Maya tells you that all these colors are worth 500 spice each, but of course, the writing is as intricate and indecipherable as ever; you couldn't possibly have figured that out yourself. This coin alone is more money than you've seen in your entire life, and it may as well be - its gigantic enough that you have to hold it with both hands.

[Image: gEpF8Po.png]

Maya explains how she wants to split it up. "There's a lot more in here than I expected, so I deposited what I needed to my account already. The rest... I'll let you have. And we can spend the day here figuring out how you want to spend that, or save it, or, whatever you want. I guess.. I should get that "curse" situation squared away, as soon as possible. A magic analysis will only be a couple thousand spice," she suggests, rather causally. You can barely hear her over the sound of clinking coins underneath your paws; you've taken to counting it all as the confused Hawren guard watches the other two allow you to do this.

Deline stands outside as Maya enters the cart, putting away her things and fiddling with papers. She ponders your future plans. "...What exactly do you plan on doing with him, Maya? He can't stick around with you forever, and I don't think he knows what to do with that amount of money. No realtor is going to accept him as a client, either."

The Torill sighs, and sets down the note she was reading.

"...I don't really know."

"Is he just going to tag along with you until you go back to your family in Truce?"

"...Well, I guess if he wants to, he can. It's not like one more mouth to feed will make a difference, heh.."

The clinking of coins stops as you sit back to take a break. You think you're about halfway done counting, but you're not used to these kinds of numbers. You're hovering around twenty-four... no, five thousand spice so far.

Deline continues. "Well, if he has other plans, I at least suggest you figure him out a way to defend himself, and some food. He seems honest enough to, you know, not rob somebody, and there are some good weapon shops in town. At least one of them has to have something Hiir-sized."

(01-02-2017, 11:00 AM)tronn Wrote: >Gamble it all on the tournament, that's a solid investment.

You can feel Deline wince behind your back as you say that. Her response is flat. "...Don't."

Otherwise, these all sound pretty good to you, but you're not sure what you want to do first.

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM by Justice Watch.)
01-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
a52
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting
Comander obviou's

Offline
Posts: 3,677
Joined: Jan 2016
the woods
that driver character sure is a card, ain't he

>Buy a tiny buckler shield and a tiny rapier
01-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Zephyr Nepres
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting
nerd lord supreme

Offline
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2016
Wollongong, Australia
> Go with Maya's suggestion before anything else. She hasn't lead you astray yet, and you trust her.
> Buy some equipment that can improve your natural magic abilities. Maybe a blade of a highly conductive metal (that way you can channel your sparks into it). I think a shield isn't that vital for a Hiir - they seem like more of an avoid rather than confront kind of people.
If you happen to have any spice left over:
> See if there are any hat shops here. You gotta get a cool hat to go with your scarf.

Does really cute mice people, vibrant characters/backgrounds and the most adorable art style you've ever seen interest you? Read Great Haven.

Have you ever wanted to save a bunch of kids from dying horribly in a nightmare dreamscape? Read Lucidstuck
01-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Schazer
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting
Patron Saint of Normcore

Offline
Posts: 6,890
Joined: Jul 2011
Ōtautahi
Remove yon curse
01-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting

Offline
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 2016
>Buy a GUN
>You probably should hide that money before it gets stolen from you. Is it enough to buy a house? If you had a house you could bury it in the basement!

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Thegreath3rpa
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting
The one and Only Blank person

Offline
Posts: 18
Joined: Dec 2016
In the bottom depth's of hell
>Buy a fake coin
>Because why not?
01-13-2017, 02:36 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Mirdini
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting
You're Alright

Offline
Posts: 1,852
Joined: Jul 2011
Archipelagic Darkness
Maya mentioned an account, is there some sort of banking system you can store some of your newfound money in? Probably better than carrying it around, what with all the danger.

Get the whole curse thing sussed out first though, you don't want to bring ill fortune down on the place that'll be handling your savings.
01-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Wheat
 RE: Great Haven - Budgeting

Offline
Posts: 5,693
Joined: Jul 2011
Ask if there's anyone who teaches skills or trades that you could use to get by in the future.

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
01-16-2017, 03:12 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Justice Watch
 RE: Great Haven - Consultations
Friend from the Cosmos

Offline
Posts: 1,448
Joined: Oct 2014
A City on the Moon
(01-10-2017, 05:33 PM)tronn Wrote: >You probably should hide that money before it gets stolen from you.

[Image: 0LY4Kff.png]

As you finish counting up your coins, you stuff them into your bag - the amount totalling to about 12,500 spice. Maya says that it's reasonable for a month's pay, and can cover for a couple months of living expenses, at least for a Torill. She says she doesn't need it, though; she already has a few hundred thousand in savings from the last year or so of work. You make note of wanting to open a bank account soon, since it's probably not safe to be walking around with this much on your person.

But then again, it isn't exactly common for a Hiir such as yourself to have this much wealth to begin with, and in a spacebending bag no less.

(01-10-2017, 09:45 AM)Schazer Wrote: Remove yon curse

Maya's advice seems the most sound. There's no need to trouble yourself or your future endeavors with whatever more this curse will bring, so you tell the other two once they have finished their business, and Deline guides you to a local magic expert she knows. It's only a short ride on maya's back before you arrive.

[Image: B3LWUM7.png]

As you enter, you are immediately greeted with the sight of hundreds of books and various accouterments lining the walls. And a Rozo sitting behind a desk. "Hello, hello," she says, without lifting her eyes from the book splayed out in front of her. "How may we help you?"

Deline speaks for both you and Maya, as you're too unprepared to say anything yourselves. "I've brought someone here that may interest Aloysius..." She doesn't skip a beat. "Apparently there is a 'curse' that needs to be made sense of."

The woman finishes writing something, and then slithers into a neighboring room. "I will fetch him. It may be a moment."

[Image: Ap0ke1s.png]

The three of you take some chairs, and there is silence for a few minutes.

...

...And then someone emerges from the door.

[Image: QPqLSwL.png]

"Hello to you both, ladies! I understand there is a curse here that I need to dispel? Oh..." He closes his book. "Magdeline, It's good to see you. How can I help you folks?"

Maya hesitantly motions to yourself, still situated and barely noticeable in her lap. "...Actually, it's the little one here."

"O-ohh, my goodness! A Hiir! You know, I never get to work with Hiiri! Well, don't just sit there, spit it out!" The Hawren is practically bouncing with excitement. "Tell me everything you know about this curse of yours."

Well, at least it's not the first time you've told anyone. How do you even begin to explain?

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Great Haven - Consultations

Offline
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 2016
>Raoul: you generate sparks of electricity spontaneously
>Hawren: become obsessed with capturing this sensation

This expert doesn't fill me with confidence...

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
01-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Zephyr Nepres
 RE: Great Haven - Consultations
nerd lord supreme

Offline
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2016
Wollongong, Australia
> Spew information about your curse, rapid fire.
> Aloysius: Actually just be really good at massages. Like, soul cleansing good.

Does really cute mice people, vibrant characters/backgrounds and the most adorable art style you've ever seen interest you? Read Great Haven.

Have you ever wanted to save a bunch of kids from dying horribly in a nightmare dreamscape? Read Lucidstuck
01-23-2017, 12:53 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Justice Watch
 RE: Great Haven - Consultations
Friend from the Cosmos

Offline
Posts: 1,448
Joined: Oct 2014
A City on the Moon
[Image: VEDFsjo.png]

At your request, Maya sets you on the desk. You start by telling him how it has followed you your entire life, from birth, bringing bad luck to not only yourself, but all those around you. But before you can even get into the details, he interrupts you. "You should know, there is no such thing as 'luck,' right? At least not in the truest sense. No such thing as fate, no such thing as luck! Only good or bad circumstances!"

...Well, then you begin to tell him about your old family, and how they learned to never trust you with anything important, and how you eventually had to remove yourself, for your own sake. Hearing it makes Maya more than a little uncomfortable, but fortunately, this Aloysius finds the perfect place to interject. "Well, that's unfortunate and all, but I am a magician scholar, not a therapist! I wish you well with that, but nothing you've said so far screams 'curse' to me, don't you know? If there is one thing more curse-ly about a curse than magic, then we would all be in the dark about curses, yes? You would say a curse is inherently magic above all else, yes?" ...You slowly nod your head. "Then, tell me about your experiences with magic! Tell me, tell me please!"

(01-16-2017, 11:49 AM)tronn Wrote: You generate sparks of electricity spontaneously

In that case... you tell him about your unusual ability to throw sparks, and immediately he is intrigued. "Sparks, you say? I've never heard of a hiir that could throw sparks. But do go on."

So you tell him how it often gets the better of you, as was the case with Mort and before that, several... family members.

"Is that all?" He asks.

"I guess so," you reply.

[Image: F2ms1SL.png]

"Good." He grabs what you can only assume is one of those counting devices from the desk, and begins twisting it in various ways. "Now, I have a good suspicion on what this ailment of your might be, but in the name of EMPIRICISM, I can't exactly confirm it until we can test it."

The rozo secretary expresses her concern that she was still writing the previous numbers down. "Mochi's results aren't all that important, they were rather mundane," he says. "This is going to be far more interesting. That is, if you would give me the pleasure of testing your abilities, mister... what was your name again?"

You almost give him your old name, but remember to correct yourself and say Raoul.

"Raoul! I'm not certain I can rid you entirely of this 'curse' of yours, but I can almost certainly help you learn more about it! I might not even charge you; I only welcome the opportunity to see your potential."

You're not sure you trust this guy. A lot of his... demeanor certainly rings true for what you hear about Hawrens, but... a free examination of your curse is better than none.

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM by Justice Watch.)
01-23-2017, 04:23 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Wheat
 RE: Great Haven - Explanations

Offline
Posts: 5,693
Joined: Jul 2011
Sure why not. I mean there are many reasons why not but go with it anyway

[Image: RjvYOd.png]
01-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Great Haven - Explanations

Offline
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 2016
>Raoul: Can't say no to free stuff, even if it's bad for you!
>Maya: Chat up the secretary while you wait. She's pretty!
>Tests: Somehow include a running wheel, lightbulb.

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Justice Watch
 RE: Great Haven - Hypnosis?
Friend from the Cosmos

Offline
Posts: 1,448
Joined: Oct 2014
A City on the Moon
(01-23-2017, 06:32 AM)Wheat Wrote: Sure why not. I mean there are many reasons why not but go with it anyway

[Image: y3Q5Ojg.png]

"Alright, then. This first test probably isn't going to result in much, but considering the strange stories you've told me so far, this will give us a better understanding of what we should be expecting to see." From his sleeve, the pink Hawren produces an odd looking pendulum. "I need you to focus on this, here. Just relax, and watch it. I'm not going to hurt you."

[Image: f73WrAX.png]

Slowly, the disk swings back and forth. You're not really sure what he's intending to happen here.

"Sit down and watch it swing," he says. You do so.

"Fold your hands together, and relax," he says. You do so. The air moves very slowly around you.

[Image: ugGGdjg.png]

"Look at my feathers, and tell me the number I hold in front of you." The pendulum swings, and you do so. You don't know how, but you count... one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. "Eight," you say.

"And now," he says...

"Think fast."

[Image: YR695ta.png]

You do so.

There is a small ringing in your ears from something loud, but you don't remember what it was.

...

[Image: 6Jfi4eK.png]

You can see the pendulum hanging unassisted in the air in front of you, before it clatters to the ground. And so does the book that Aloysius threw at the wall. "Well," he remarks, "That went a lot better than it usually does."

The assistant looks quite distraught. "Weeellll, I was going to mention, you never got that far before, but you also never threw the damn record book at the wall."

Otherwise, everyone in the room looks moderately impressed, but you don't even know what happened. Before you can ask, the strange expert walks into the other room, telling you to direct any questions toward his assistant while he sets up the other tests.

[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
01-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Schazer
 RE: Great Haven - Hypnosis?
Patron Saint of Normcore

Offline
Posts: 6,890
Joined: Jul 2011
Ōtautahi
"Um,'
01-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
tronn
 RE: Great Haven - Hypnosis?

Offline
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 2016
>Ask the secretary what that was about

This hawren seems competent and I have a good feeling about this!

Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
02-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply
Thegreath3rpa
 RE: Great Haven - Hypnosis?
The one and Only Blank person

Offline
Posts: 18
Joined: Dec 2016
In the bottom depth's of hell
>Ask the secretary as like the comment above,But also ask what it was for as you have seem to have not noticed and/or forgotten.

Because we need more info on why this pendulum disk thing was swung in front of us.
02-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Find Quote this message in a reply