Swamped

Swamped
RE: Swamped
You have a weird thought. You're carrying Setrus, and while she might hurt you, she wouldn't hurt him.

So you carefully lift his arm, and attempt to pat her on the head with it.

She seems confused more than anything. But confused isn't angry, so that's a starting point. You use the pause to drag him away and put him on the couch.

After a little while, Nocta calms down, and returns to a less frightening size. Then she walks over to Setrus and curls up next to his unconscious body.

You've made a real mess for this old woman now. And it's probably not safe for her if Setrus wakes up. So you pick up the poor soul and carry her outside, shutting the door behind you.

Mortimer soon runs up. He stares at the unconscious woman in your arms.

"I'm not sure that was the best way to handle things," he says.

"I know, it's a disaster. I was just trying to get his pet out of the way."

"Was that all?" Mortimer groans. "She knows me. I could have played with her a bit if you'd just made that clear. But it's a bit late for that now, I suppose."

"Not much for it but to fix this as best we can," you sigh. "The old woman's fainted, so she probably just needs to be woken up, but I want to get her someplace safe. And I guess I'm not entirely sure what to do about our other, ah, patient."

"He'll be out for at least six hours, and Nocta won't be going anywhere without his orders." Mortimer says. "So we can take our time on figuring that part out." He looks at the woman again. "As for her... I know where her child lives, and it's right near where I was headed next. Seems that would be a good place to drop her off."

"As long as it's not too far," you grumble.

"No, only a block or so."

That sounds good to you.

"All right. So where are we headed, then?"
Quote
RE: Swamped
The smithy.
Quote
RE: Swamped
"We're going to the smithy. There's something I noticed during the accident and I think it's important."

Accident? You're not sure you're up to date on that, but you follow him, carrying the old woman.

He stops right outside.

"The light's on inside," he says. "That makes things more awkward. The smith will be none too pleased to see me."

"Well, then why don't you wake up the old woman's family?" you ask.

"That's another thing. She's the smith's mother. I thought we'd drop her off at the house, but if the smith's at work..."

Something strikes you.

"Do we know it's the smith in there?" you ask. "Can't see inside too well."

"Why would anyone else turn the lights on?"

"So we think it's the smith because no thief would bother to turn the lights on," you point out.

"But the smith's house is right across the road. If she's not working late, she'd be there and could see it. Any thief trying to be clever would realize that."

You suppose he's got a point there. But now that the idea's in your head, something about the scene strikes you as odd if it really is the smith inside.
Quote
RE: Swamped
The door is unhinged.
Quote
RE: Swamped
"I don't think so. The hinge pins are loose."

Mortimer stares at them.

"Huh. I didn't notice. It's still hard to spot, honestly - they're just poking out a little."

"Yeah, they take 'em out, unlock the door from the inside, then put them back in. But it's hard to make 'em go in perfectly smoothly." You think for a bit. "If what you said is right, then whoever's in there must have had some plan for dealing with the smith. Maybe check if she's okay."

"She'll throw something at me if she sees me!"

"If she' does, then she's fine, and she'll see the light at her smithy and wonder what's going on. You can drop her mother off while you're at it." You hold out your arms in his direction. Grudgingly, he takes the old woman away.

"Fine, but if I get another injury, you're taking care of me."

You're more concerned with who's in there, frankly. You didn't mention it, but the tool for taking those hinges out was pretty crude in its first incarnations. It was only about a year or two before you joined the Guild that they had one that worked cleanly.

So whoever's in there is either from the future, or somehow has access to impossibly high-quality tools. Either way, you're expecting to be in for something serious when you enter.

Which means, for one thing, you want to be careful about how you make an entrance.
Quote