Counter-Productive

Counter-Productive
RE: Counter-Productive
>Are you sure there is a way for you to get down once the potion's effects are activated?
Noot noot doot doot.

EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow
[Image: 47325.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
No projectile weapons at the moment, but I do have these rings. One of the copper would probably be best for their needs, although the iron ring has this very nice confusion effect... (Side note, do the vines work in air, or erupt from the ground? if the latter, this customer probably wouldn't be interested)
~◕ w◕~
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
Guys it's not dead! I entered a writing contest back in November and ate up my buffer faster than I was expecting so I had to put Counter-Productive on hold in order to make the deadline. The contest ended in January and I had some trouble getting back to working on my other projects but I think (I hope) I'll be able to update Counter-Productive regularly again as well as working on finishing the webnovel I started for the contest. I didn't win but it's here if you want to check it out.


Quote:Ranged weapons would work best for flyers, like a bow, but since you don't have any of those, showcase your new rings. How does she like the idea of magic projectiles? Maybe offer to let her test some?
(10-22-2018, 12:20 AM)juddy555 Wrote: »>Melee would not be very good for air-based defense, scrolls are one-use making them terrible for extended defense. A spellbook or a ring would be best.
>Heyyyyy, I just MADE some nice rings. If you want cheap and easy, how about this Magic Projectile Copper Ring?
(10-22-2018, 09:55 PM)Whimbrel Wrote: »No projectile weapons at the moment, but I do have these rings. One of the copper would probably be best for their needs, although the iron ring has this very nice confusion effect... (Side note, do the vines work in air, or erupt from the ground? if the latter, this customer probably wouldn't be interested)

Show off your selection of rings

[Image: dd17hva-61456e5d-9939-437b-bfec-35e41b9bf885.png]

"Well, coincidentally, I just made some magic rings. I've got a few different ones to choose from, have a look."
"Hmm...I don't think the Leechvine would do any good against flying monsters, and I want something kinda strong. I'll take the iron one."


->

[Image: dd17ler-0d0a57d2-ce2a-41f0-b9fb-f5cd329c2d8e.png]

The Levitation potion sells for J10, and the ring costs a whopping J102! That's a good sale!


->

[Image: dd17lfd-ac71d22e-13e5-48f9-8d99-5fb1b38f6f93.png]

"Before you go, is there anything you'd like to see added to the stock?"
"Mm, well I guess more rings and stuff? Different potions and scrolls? I dunno."
"So more magic then?"
"I guess. I'm not much of a fighter. It's better to stay away from the things that're trying to kill you and magic's good for distance."
"I'll keep that in mind."


->

[Image: panel126_by_blizzriel-dd17lft.gif]

The customer leaves. You put the items in your inventory on the shelf to prepare for the next one.


->

[Image: dd17lgj-b82e3abe-42e6-49b4-ad79-632cfa20ce0a.png]

You just finish putting everything away and stand behind the counter when the next customer arrives! It's...the cultist guy from before?

"...I was so excited...I forgot to buy anything..."


>_
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
Well, I honestly didn't expect this to come back. Glad it did though, I love this crafting system and the setting is wonderful.

>Well, with your "armor" you might do better with something up close, plus it can make a decent prop for the whole cult thing. But, if you're getting up close then you'll want a potion or two as backup in case something goes wrong.

>How about some health potions, and this fancy SHARP DAGGER of BLINDNESS?
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
>Tell him that there is a special offer for repeat customers. Therefor, it would only have applied to him if he remembered to buy something previously.
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
> Simply thank him for the advertisement and offer some weapons.
Tree Eggy!!

[Image: K904x8Y.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
(03-04-2019, 01:32 PM)Vic Wrote: »> Simply thank him for the advertisement and offer some weapons.

Seconding.
Noot noot doot doot.

EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow
[Image: 47325.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
(03-04-2019, 01:32 PM)Vic Wrote: »> Simply thank him for the advertisement and offer some weapons.

Thank him for the advertisement and offer some weapons

[Image: dd4nty6-09af9fed-b159-470a-ac98-76c62f3d...4ZxaHyNjOw]

"How about something to defend yourself with? We've got daggers, short swords, magic..."
"Uh, I think...I'll take this dagger of blinding. It looks...kind of culty? Goes with my costume...heh heh..."
"Sure thing. Oh, and thanks for advertising the store"
"...Did, uh, did someone come in already...?"
"Yeah. She said you told her about this place."
"Oh, uh, haha, no problem..."



->

[Image: dd4ntyn-784e65e7-4146-4d04-8282-95164629...EIoFZcEuLE]

And that brings your total cash up to J244.00. Not bad for the first day. You've got time for one more customer before it's time to close up shop.



->

[Image: dd4ntzn-21a392af-b6ee-4daa-bda1-25acca55...TCF4V8Z4lI]

Someone enters the store just before closing time. It appears to be...a woman in rags?

"Hello!"



->

[Image: dd4nu09-0f8327ed-779c-4322-a1c5-810dfe2b...aP1MlI1os0]

"Hi there...are you one of the cosplayers from the convention?"
"Nnnnnope!"
"Oh. Er. Then...why are you wearing rags?"
"I think the better question is why are you wearing a hat? You're indoors, idiot! HAHAHA!"
"I--excuse me?!"
"You're excused! Would you like to hear your fortune?"
"My fortune? No, I--"
"Too bad! You're hearing it anyway!"



->

[Image: dd4nu0v-68408952-ca8e-45b6-b8c7-072d672f...7CbiQ2hSLQ]



->

[Image: dd4nu1e-f26312ca-b50f-4327-a737-ab429fc7...UD0tUS8X3g]

"That little secret in your safe won't be secret or safe for long. The king has eyes everywhere. Eyes that can see through walls, eyes that can read minds, even eyes that can tell the future. Keep selling your little trinkets, and eventually the monsters will take notice. Those eyes will be looking. They'll be looking for any reason to dispose of you, and they won't stop until they find it. You tell yourself that you can defend your little shop, but can you?"



->

[Image: dd4nu1y-b333581b-c795-4669-9859-a2b2fe64...CHu9CzXkJg]

"Haha, look at your face! What, you've never seen a three-eyed mannequin before? Are you scared of a little old prophecy? Oh-or! Or you don't think you can defend the store anymore! Haha, is that it? Did I plant a little seed of doubt in your hat? Careful, haha, or that's going to grow into a great big failure tree! HAHAHAHA! FAILURE TREE!"



->

[Image: dd4nu29-9014d209-ad28-4555-bc05-18b8d3d4...ooWAqw7EOQ]

"Ehehaa... Okay... Okay, I'm done now. Message delivered. Whoo."
"What...I...huh?"
"I think that hat might be squeezing your head too tight. Anyway, laters!"



->

[Image: dd4nu2m-baef938f-cb11-477b-a811-ad942c86...iQq9YIO7cY]

She exits the building, still giggling to herself.

More importantly, what the heck just happened?!

She said that was a prophecy...or a message? Message from who? Who was that? Was any of it true or was that woman just crazy? She certainly seemed a little...unhinged. If it is true, however, then you're in greater danger than you thought.



->

[Image: dd4nu2y-8122dcd8-26e1-4627-919d-89875fe9...Y0vGan6iQ8]

It's getting late. You go into the back room and tidy up. If you do end up having to fight, you won't want to be watching out for sharp objects all over the floor.



->

[Image: dd4nu3a-3ffbab84-10a5-486f-ae34-e44a4897...otiITSpHmU]

While you're at it, you fill up the food dish and water the pumpkins too.



Sleep on it

[Image: dd4nu3l-612fca84-0513-47b4-8b7e-991bcc28...yTXMi_q0Wk]

It's been a long day. You decide you'll figure out what to do in the morning.



->

[Image: dd4nu3w-d03c3e62-432a-4866-a2d9-3d2847f4...pQ9hC95Qxk]



>_
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
...I feel that's our cue to do something with the luck pastry. Eat it, destroy it, give it to the wildlife, just don't keep it in storage any longer.
Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
(04-16-2019, 03:03 AM)Arcanuse Wrote: »...I feel that's our cue to do something with the luck pastry. Eat it, destroy it, give it to the wildlife, just don't keep it in storage any longer.

Yeah. This. They won't notice you've eaten that thing, right?
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
People are born with a few luck points to start with, so as long as the Luck Pastry doesn't add a silly number like 10 or something then eating it would be a great way of getting rid of the evidence AND committing a major crime at the same time. Win-win.

>Consider eating the Luck Pastry to hide the evidence.
>Check the catalog and consider spending some of that cash on new supplies.
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
>So, What's for breakfast?
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
> Definitely time to get rid of the luck pastry, feed it to the cat.
Tree Eggy!!

[Image: K904x8Y.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
>Eat the luck pastry gobble gobble yumyumyum
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
If the amount of luck points added won't be too stupid, like raising it up to 6 or something, then go for it. Otherwise, feed it to the cat or something.
Noot noot doot doot.

EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow
[Image: 47325.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
I'm back! Again! RL is kicking my ass hard atm. -_- Sorry this one's short, but I'm not feeling up to a big update right now.


->

[Image: dd9h2sm-3c0c7e34-91c8-4c16-aebb-8923feb5...5aVb20f7iw]


->

[Image: dd9h2sv-ba0ae9fc-0f73-49b3-ad08-67c90b23...d392Kxl9j8]

First things first, you need to address the luck pastry issue.

One option is to eat it yourself, but the monsters would definitely take notice of someone with a high Luck stat. It wouldn't be so bad if the pastry didn't add a whopping 10 points. That idea only leads to getting arrested, and you're not going to consider it any longer.

You could hide it, but it's already hidden in the safe. Taking it out to move it elsewhere runs the risk of getting caught with it. That would definitely get you arrested.

You could give it to someone else, but that might lead to whoever takes it getting caught, and then possibly leading the King's forces back to you. Plus, you're not certain there aren't mannequin spies reporting to the King. How can you know who to trust?

There is also the option of just keeping it. The monsters don't know about it yet, and it's not like you have a deficit of weapons and healing items in the store. You could probably hold the line.
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
>Try selling it, under the counter style. You know, black market type stuff. I won't tell anyone if you don't.
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
Now, you don't have to eat all of it right now. You could take a nibble of it and nobody will notice, right? And there's always feeding it to the cat.
Noot noot doot doot.

EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow
[Image: 47325.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
Don't eat all at once. Eat it bit by bit. A slice at a time. Nibble nibble. Surely a slice won't give as much as a whole.
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
I also think we should just slowly eat it over several days
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
To me, it sounds like a nice "Wait and see" strategy will work best. Can't eat it, can't sell it, can't move it. We don't even know WHAT exactly the incoming threat it, just a general "Threat" and that our secret will stop being a secret soon. THAT sounds like a problem for Future-Us.

In the meantime, maybe look into hiring a shop guard. Of all the things that creepy tri-eyed thing said, the warning about us not being able to guard the shop seem the most present to me. Having a hire who can watch the store for us while we do other things, or someone with a high HP to tank the front line if anything storms the storefront.
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
(06-17-2019, 07:01 PM)juddy555 Wrote: »To me, it sounds like a nice "Wait and see" strategy will work best. Can't eat it, can't sell it, can't move it. We don't even know WHAT exactly the incoming threat it, just a general "Threat" and that our secret will stop being a secret soon. THAT sounds like a problem for Future-Us.
Quote:Don't forget the cat food

It sounds like a nice "Wait and see" strategy will work best.

[Image: dda14ym-075da809-c31c-4350-b7b7-563e1966...SsJkldGjTs]

You resolve to deal with the problem at a later time. Until then, you've got work to do!

Looks like the kitty came back again last night. It's a shame it won't come near you, but at least it's eating something. Better fill up the food dish again.


->

[Image: dda14z1-0dda8539-9a2f-4c0b-93ff-168ffa07...0tZ9nizv0k]


Quote:Go water your crops!

->

[Image: dda14zx-4b76d9d0-5ecd-4c48-ab69-3f0aaed2...h5VORG0zQg]

You leave the cat food out on the balcony and grab the watering can. Looks like your pumpkins are growing nicely! You'll have to remember to move them out of the planter before they get too big.

(06-17-2019, 07:01 PM)juddy555 Wrote: »In the meantime, maybe look into hiring a shop guard. Of all the things that creepy tri-eyed thing said, the warning about us not being able to guard the shop seem the most present to me. Having a hire who can watch the store for us while we do other things, or someone with a high HP to tank the front line if anything storms the storefront.

->

[Image: dda1505-5926c6fe-b6fe-4f23-a72e-e9b0a02b...jpqrj5ehuw]

You head downstairs to unlock the front door. Just as you get there, someone knocks on it!

Who could be visiting this early?


->

[Image: dda150c-a0d285e7-1a02-48f6-9f05-d64631bb...DsVcr3TQ2I]

"Hello?"
"Hello there! I'm the owner of the convention center down the street. I heard you were selling weapons and potions to people trying to leave?"
"Yes, that's right."
"I can't thank you enough! If not for you, so many wouldn't be able to go home!"
"Oh, it's nothing... This has always been a magic and weapons shop. I just took over recently."
"Still. I'm sure you know how dangerous the monsters can be."
"So did you just come to thank me?"
"No, not just that. I was wondering, do you have any other staff?"
"No, it's just me at the moment. Though I have been considering hiring some help."
"Perfect! I'd like to introduce you to my nephew."
"Hey."
"He'd like to volunteer here until everyone at the convention hall is home safe. Would that be all right with you?"


>_
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
Yeah! That's perfectly fine, he looks pretty chill.
Noot noot doot doot.

EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow
[Image: 47325.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
>Oh hello. Let's get to know each other. What's your name and any notable skills and/or background?
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
Quote
RE: Counter-Productive
>Sure, and just because you like the cut of his jib, give him full run of the place with absolutely no restrictions.
Quote